PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for staying "On-Property" at DL?

azcavalier
03-08-2012, 09:17 AM
This is our first return trip to DL since well before it was expanded. We've never stayed on site at DL, but always do so at WDW. We have three kids, so there will be five of us.

What are the opinions about the three DL hotels?

NewDVCowner
03-08-2012, 11:53 AM
If you have your heart set on staying at a Disney property then I would recommend this Disneyland Hotel. It's a short walk to the gates (maybe ten-ish minutes with kids) and you can get on the Monorail there which will bring you directly to Tomorrowland. The Grand Californian is lovely but pricey. I've never stayed at the Paradise Pier, but it's a converted non-Disney hotel and just doesn't have the same magic as the other hotels.

However I would also recommend looking into staying at some of the hotels on Harbor that are not Disney owned. Some, like the Tropicana and Park Vue are litterally right across the street and are a closer walk than the Disneyland Hotel. The Howard Johnson is a little further away, but has a great pool for the kids.

robnadina
03-08-2012, 01:34 PM
The best hotels on Property are the Grand Cali and DLH. Where you stay is really going to be dependent on your budget. Rates for these hotels will probably not be released until Oct or November. And it will also depend if you plan on coming during the Holidays or after.
As the previous poster stated, dont overlook the hotels on Harbor Blvd. While they may not have the "Disney Magic" feel to them, they can be half the price and closer to the front gate. Ramada Maingate, Park Vue, Fairfield Inn, HoJo, & Candy Cane Inn all have comfortable rooms & some even have Continental Breakfast (if fruit, donuts & muffins are your thing).
Hope this helps :)

mom2morgan
03-10-2012, 12:13 PM
we stayed at the DLH last summer and quit liked it. We got a non-renovated room and it was a bit worn, but at least the window opened (the renoed rooms don't) and we had a great view of the fireworks from our "standard view" room. The pools and food options are nice and the location is terrific - it all felt very magickal. but if we ever go back, I'll probably spring for the Grand Californian ;-)

BrerGnat
03-10-2012, 01:07 PM
The Grand Californian is my all time favorite.

The Disneyland Hotel is quite a good second choice, now that the renovations are complete.

Carol
03-24-2012, 11:25 AM
I would also suggest the Grand Californian. However, you'd have to request a room with a daybed and they are limited. I'd book as soon as you have decided on a resort.

Happy Planning. :mickey:

BrerGnat
03-24-2012, 04:11 PM
It might be worth mentioning too, that at the Grand Californian, an acceptable form of "bedding" for the fifth person is a sleeping bag. Seriously.

I have never heard of a family of 5 NOT getting a room with a daybed, though, so I'd not worry too much about it. When they added the new wing, it increased the overall amount of rooms, and so now they hold the daybed rooms for families with 5 occupants.

Carol
03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
I have never heard of a family of 5 NOT getting a room with a daybed, though, so I'd not worry too much about it.

We did NOT. That is why I mentioned it. I was using DVC points (this was before the villas were built) and the CMs had NO idea what to do as once you commit to points in DL via WDW DVC you must use them there.

So - it was not an easy remedy and they were clueless. It took several phone calls to DVC and 2 managers to sort it all out -- because we did not want a sleeping bag.

Nonetheless it is a wonderful resort and our encounter had nothing to do with the accommodations. :mickey: