PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Drinks

Disney-4-Me
03-07-2012, 04:30 PM
When I first started staying at the Contemporary in 2002 and visiting the Outer Rim, I used to be able to order a Monorail Yellow. There was only one bartender who knew how to make it but she told me about having lots of drinks named after the monorail colors in the past.

The last time I was there I asked for a Monorail Yellow and was looked at like I had just entered Earth's atmosphere with Sonny Eclipse! Anyway, I guess that's another 'extinct' Disney attraction. Yep, I said attraction, the drink was pretty great!:D

So about a month ago I saw an item on eBay that was advertised as an old 1980s drink glass from the Contemporary. It looked like a plastic model of the Contemporary with the monorail emerging from one end. I was pretty happy to win the bid and delighted that it is actually ceramic instead of plastic. The removable lid has a hole in the top for a straw.

Does anyone remember these? Did they actually serve drinks in them? Was it the container for the monorail drinks?

Main Street Jim
03-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Hmmm. Never seen 'em. Can you post or send a pic?

Along the same note:
One of the Disney recipe books (or several of them together) has the recipes for the Monorail Red, Yellow, and Pink drinks. I have yet to try them all out :)

buzznwoodysmom
03-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I've never heard of it before, but sounds cool. I'd love to see a pic as well.

SBETigg
03-07-2012, 07:59 PM
I would like the recipes.:marg:

DVC2004
03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd love those recipes too. I haven't seen the drink glass and I don't recall them. I think it's cool to find the little pieces of nostalgia. I remember when I was really little, this would be late 70's, they used to sell at Disney (maybe other places too) the fruit juice in a plastic container shaped like the fruit- so an orange, or a bunch of purple grapes. And there was a straw you stuck in. Those were a treat. I also saw on ebay on old glass from the Poly and I did remember seein that before. :mickey:

PopPhan
03-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Just found this on a quick search....

Monorail Pink, Red, Yellow Drinks - Top of the World, Contemporary

Monorail Pink
1 1/4 ounces gin
1 1/4 ounces pineapple juice
1 1/4 ounces orange juice
1 ounce grenadine
1/2 ounce lemon bar mix
1 1/2 ounces heavy cream
3/4 cup crushed ice
orange slice
maraschino cherry

-Mix gin, fruit juices, grenadine, lenon bar mix, and heavy cream in a blender with ice. Blend for 10 seconds. Pour into a tall glass. Garnish with orange slice and cherry.

Monorail Red
1 1/4 ounces tequila
3/4 ounce sweet licorice flavored liqueur
3/4 ounce grenadine
2 1/2 ounces lemon bar mix
2 ounces pineapple juice
3/4 cup crushed ice
maraschino cherry

-Combine tequila, licorice liqueur, grenadine, lemon bar mix, pineapple juice, and ice in a blender. Blend for 10 seconds and pour into a tall glass. Garnish with cherry.

Monorail Yellow
1 1/2 ounces rum
3 ounces orange juice
3/4 ounce coconut cream
2 1/2 ounces pineapple juice
3/4 cup crushed ice
maraschino cherry
orange slice

-Combine rum, orange juice, coconut cream, pineapple juice, and ice in a blender. Blend for 10 seconds and pour into a tall glass. Garnish with cherry and orange slice.

SBETigg
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Awesome, thanks for the recipes.

Disney Goof
03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the recipes Bud. I am going to try them next week when we get back into our house.:marg:

dizneydeb22
03-09-2012, 02:06 PM
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly lemon bar mix?:blush:

SBETigg
03-09-2012, 03:10 PM
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but what exactly lemon bar mix?:blush:

I think: a standard mix of the lemon flavored variety on hand at most bars/lounges. I'm assuming like a Collins mix.

But I admit that when I first read it, I was thinking lemon bars, of the cookie variety, and wondering how that would be in a drink. I think I have cookies on the mind since the Girl Scouts started selling.:blush:

Disney-4-Me
03-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting the drink recipes. That calls for a special party!

I am e-mailing the photo to those who asked. Sorry I couldn't figure out how or if I even should post the pic for everyone.:confused:

I guess the glass is going to have to remain a mystery for now...

dizneydeb22
03-14-2012, 03:58 PM
I think: a standard mix of the lemon flavored variety on hand at most bars/lounges. I'm assuming like a Collins mix.

But I admit that when I first read it, I was thinking lemon bars, of the cookie variety, and wondering how that would be in a drink. I think I have cookies on the mind since the Girl Scouts started selling.:blush:

That's exactly what I thought! Thanks for clearing it up for me! :mickey: