PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Maharajah Jungle Trek & Pangani Forest Exploration Trail

Alpha Jeanie
03-07-2012, 04:06 PM
We have been to Animal Kingdom several time, but have never made it to the Maharajah Jungle Trek or the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail.

Can you tell me about them and if you think it's worth "moving them up" the must do list while we are at Animal Kingdom.

We all LOVE animals, but would you skip other attractions in order to see those?

Thank you for any info.:mickey:

micky95
03-07-2012, 05:20 PM
my dw & i do them almost every trip.it's quiet and a nice easy walk.the last couple of times we went early and we were able to see the tigers up close.if you hear a bell it cm calling the tigers out.be sure to to explore every side trial.we dicovered one this trip and got some great pictures of the gorillas.its a nice change after a hectic day at mk or hs.:mickey:

Strmchsr
03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Love both of them. Definitely worth it for us, especially when the rides start getting really crowded. There's some gorgeous scenery and the animals are all fun. To me, those two are better than the safari ride in terms of seeing the animals. My only negative is the tigers like to sleep in spots where you can't see them well.

faline
03-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Oh, goodness! Please put these trails on your list of things to do! On one, you get close up views of gorillas - that alone makes the trail worthwhile. On the other, you get close up views of the tigers.

AmandaChan
03-07-2012, 05:49 PM
DH and I always do them, and I was sad we didn't really get to do the maharajah one last time. They do not take that long to go through anyways...

Dopey's Girl
03-07-2012, 05:55 PM
These are well worth the time. Actually they may be one of my favorite parts of AK. I could watch the gorillas for hours! Last time we were there, there were a number of babies playing together. They were hilarious!

lindique
03-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Besides being able to see the animals up close, those trails also contain some of the most beautiful scenery and elaborate sets in the park. If you only have time for one trail, I recommend Asia - the "ruins" are amazing!

TexansInNY
03-07-2012, 06:27 PM
We did it last time for the first time and it was awesome - seeing the gorillas and the little bitty baby gorilla trying to pound his chest (not very well :) - awesome!

Tearin_it_up
03-07-2012, 07:27 PM
The best part is you can stay and watch any one animal for a lengthy time unlike the safari which seems rushed kinda

Pop Centurion
03-07-2012, 09:24 PM
Definitely do them. Take your time & observe the wildlife as you can get a glimpse of some truly unique moments.

Joannelet
03-08-2012, 06:52 AM
Those two trails are the epitome of what Disney was trying to create when creating Animal Kingdom. Being able to view animals in there "natural habitat." they are both beautiful trails. I remember the day that the Tigers arrived!!!! I got to do a test walk through as a cast member. It was so neat watching them on their first day! Definitely a must do for both.

sonamae80
03-08-2012, 09:17 AM
They are definite must-dos on my list! I will literally stand at the tiger viewing area for a minimum of 15 minutes! I never feel rushed, I always try to be courteous of other guests and stand to the side or step back and give them a chance to view, but as soon as they move along, I'm right back up at the window! :D

PlutoPlanet
03-08-2012, 12:05 PM
We do these, but not every year. These are good to do when the rides are busy and you're between fast passes. I really like the gorillas. They are amazing!

ThanxForNoticin
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
The answer to this question is probably about how you enjoy spending your time at AK. I've talked with people who feel these trails are a waste of their time because it takes time away from the bigger 'attractions' like EE, KS, and Dinosaur. For us, AK has become our favorite park because of the "relaxation factor" we get from doing casual walks, including these trails. I did both these trails last week. I can tell you I spent at least 30 minutes with the gorillas, mostly because I was having a great time watching the baby. I also took a casual stroll in Asia, spending a lot of time enjoying the tigers.

I'm not saying you need to spend that much time on the trails, but it can be a very enjoyable experience. I'd recommend you give it a try and see what you think!

DisneyLuver91
03-08-2012, 01:36 PM
As I used to say at the end of my safari, "If you want to see even more animals that we didn't find out here on the reserve, head on over to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail! You can see lots of cool animals like Western Lowland Gorillas, underwater viewing of hippos, naked mole rats, meerkats, and lots of creepy-crawly things I tend to avoid. Once you get off at the Warden's Post, just go down the path, go to the right, and the entrance is right there! Now, it is time for us to say farewell, but we don't say goodbye in Harambe. That's too sad and too final, so instead we say kwaherini, which means to go well. So kwaherini and hakuna matata! No hurries and no worries. And don't be afraid to go a little bit wild out there, but not too wild! It's a family jungle out there!" ;)

thrillme
03-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but for the most part the "trails" were often another way to get from points A and B. Just a little more twisty. So you could kinda go thru the trails and still end up where you were going anyway.

But like another poster said they're a good thing to do between fast passes.

zipadeedoodah
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
As I used to say at the end of my safari, "If you want to see even more animals that we didn't find out here on the reserve, head on over to the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail! You can see lots of cool animals like Western Lowland Gorillas, underwater viewing of hippos, naked mole rats, meerkats, and lots of creepy-crawly things I tend to avoid. Once you get off at the Warden's Post, just go down the path, go to the right, and the entrance is right there! Now, it is time for us to say farewell, but we don't say goodbye in Harambe. That's too sad and too final, so instead we say kwaherini, which means to go well. So kwaherini and hakuna matata! No hurries and no worries. And don't be afraid to go a little bit wild out there, but not too wild! It's a family jungle out there!" ;)

okay that made me very happy..haha ;)

joonyer
03-08-2012, 03:04 PM
you can spend all the time you want on these trails and still have plenty of time to see/do everything in AK in one day. If you are trying to do AK in a half-day, as some do, you will be pressed to see it all. IMO, taking your time and enjoying the trails is well worth it.

stitchingirl
03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Oh, I love to do the trails! We make it a point to go through them every time we're there, and often skip other major attractions (Bug's life movie, Kali River Rapids) just to see the animals. I especially like the bats. If you've never seen the bats, you're really missing quite the exhibit. :thumbsup:

LVT
03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
I enjoy many zoos.
The Tiger and Bat exhibits are standouts.

darthmacho
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
I think these are two of the most underrated attractions in ALL of WDW. I just don't think Animal Kingdom would work without them. I actually think they could be expanded (Pandas?) or a third trail added to another themed land...Australia! (Koalas would be a great draw, don't you think?)

I guess Pandas wouldn't fit the Maharajah theme, but they could have them elsewhere in Asia.

Anyway, my point is that you might want to fit them in. :mickey: