PDA

View Full Version : Am I just paranoid regarding appliances?

Melanie
03-05-2012, 10:22 AM
How many of you feel comfortable leaving your house with the dishwasher, washer, dryer, etc. still going? I'm totally paranoid something will happen, and rarely leave them on. Am I too paranoid?

I also have a hard time leaving the house with something in the crock pot, and isn't that the whole point? :blush:

princessgirls
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
There has been a few house fires in our area, so I rarely will leave the house with the dryer on... AND once in our old house, while I was close to the dryer it died with a bang and plume of smoke. Lucky I was close enough to pull the plug!

I do run the dishwasher in the middle of the night (set the timer), so if it floods my kitchen, I'd never know anyway until I got up for the day. I'm thinking that's not the smartest plan, just the best time to run it for us.

It is good practice to be home for the dryer...there are occasions where you cut it close for time with having to go, and I just leave it go. I have a new dryer now, and I am diligent about cleaning the lint out.

Julie:mickey:
No...your not paranoid!!
Julie

faline
03-05-2012, 10:42 AM
I never run the dish washer or the dryer when I am not home. If one, or both, of these appliances are running when I need to go out, I'll turn them off and restart them when I return. I'll admit that leaving the crock pot on when I'm not at home makes me a bit nervous but I'll do that though I don't use my crock pot all that often. I will run the washing machine when I am not at home.

murphy1
03-05-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't leave any of it running either. I guess I'm paranoid too, if that's the case, I also have the dog and two cats and would hate for them to get hurt or worse.

wickedgin
03-05-2012, 10:48 AM
I never worry about stuff like that. I leave stuff running all the time--dishwasher, washer, dryer, slow cooker, and sometimes my flat iron (by mistake).

Scar
03-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I have a friend who is a firefighter. He says the leading cause of house fires is from the dryer, so, no that is never on when not at home. Washer, no worries. Toaster oven, always unplugged when not in use. Dishwasher, hasn't worked in 20 years, used as storage.

Mickey'sGirl
03-05-2012, 10:59 AM
I don't leave anything running ... and even unplug all that I can (within reason of course) before going out .... especially "hot" things like the dryer or the stove. I will set the washing machine to come on just before we get home, to time the laundry transfer with my arrival, but that's about it. I only use the crockpot during the day if someone will be around, otherwise, I use it overnight, then reheat it at dinnertime the next day.

I guess we're all a little paranoid, eh? :blush:

AgentC
03-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I am selectively paranoid.

I never leave my dryer on. I will leave my washing machine on if it is near the end of the cycle. If not I pause it. I don't normally worry about my dishwasher. I won't usually turn it on as I am leaving, but if it is running I will keep it on.

Funny you mentioned the crock pot/slow cooker. I just started using one and am having a real hard time using it on days when I am not here.:paranoid:

buzznwoodysmom
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I NEVER leave my house with any of those going, even the crockpot!

It's funny you say this because I just had an issue with my dryer last week and I thanked my lucky starts I never leave the house with it running. In the morning DH noticed the towels in the dryer were still damp. He found it funny that I would do that. So he put it on and it wasn't turning. After bringing the kids to school I put it on to see if it would turn and it didn't. I manually tried to turn it and it made a big blue spark of light. Then the heating element would come on, turn bright orange for about a minute, then would click off and go back to black, even though I had it on off. About a minute later it would click on, then off. I had to hurry and kick the power breaker off then disconnect the dryer for fear that it would catch on fire.

A friend of mine told me about a year ago the back of her dryer caught fire or started smoking (I don't remember the details) and luckily she was home to stop it.

My mom once put clothes washing then went cut her grass, when she got back into her house there were several inches of water in her utility room and kitchen, and going into the living room and another room. She had to replace all the flooring in those rooms.

We recently had a plastic serving spoon fall through the cracks in the dishwasher and it was stuck on the heating element. We could smell something burning and it took awhile to determine it was the spoon in our dishwasher. Not sure if it could have actually caught fire, but that was enough to scare me. Not that I ever left it running before, but for me it was even more reason not to. I also unplug the toaster and I'd never leave my hot iron on. Those things get so hot!!!

I actually unplug every single item in our house when we go on vacation, as well as shut off our main water line. So I am definitely a bit paranoid about these things. I might be paranoid, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Tink1
03-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Same here. I cannot leave the house with things on or running. I have a friend who uses the timer thing on her oven to start meals while she is at work. I would be a wreck!

But I also had an oven fire (kids fault) and do not ever want another. Cleaning up the smoke mess was awful.

Nanc

Jeri
03-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I always leave the house with the dryer, washer & dishwasher running. I also use a slow cooker too.
If I didn't have them running even when I am not at home my laundry would never get done. I have to run so much during the day with 2 older kids needing to be taken to school & back, activities, and a baby with Down syndrome going to various appointments.

The funny part is, as soon as I am done with the toaster or ths coffee is done brewing I unplug them. I am always afraid I will forget to turn them off, so I unplug them.:blush:

SBETigg
03-05-2012, 11:18 AM
I had a smoke situation coming from my dishwasher once and I know clothes dryers are a hazard, so I never leave with those two appliances running. Clothes washer, I worry about water damage but it doesn't freak me out as much. I usually only run it when I know I'm home for awhile, though. The Crock Pot/slow cooker doesn't worry me at all. But I don't think you're unusual, Melanie.

Dragongirlx
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Ever since my washing machine flooded my downstairs neighbour when I was out I never leave it on if I am not there. I would be completly paranoid all day if I did. My twin sister even unplugs all the appliances if we are going to be away for more than a day - just in case

disneymom15
03-05-2012, 11:19 AM
We run the washer and dryer on occasion when we're not home. It's usually towards the end of its cycle, so I don't really worry about it.

mgmnut
03-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Clothes washer - Yes

Clothes Dryer - No , major cause of house fires. Drier lint is so flamable, hikers ofter carry it because it is light weight and can be used very effectively to start campfires. A neat tip, fine steel wool ,a 9 volt battery, and drier lint is all you need to start a fire very quickly.

Dishwasher - Yes, usually start it as I go to bed at night, but will run it and leave the house also

Crock pot - definate Yes, We crock pot cook all the time. some of the best food comes from a crock pot

I also have a pellet stove, I will leave that running on low if I will only be gone for an hour or two so the Boiler doesn't kick on, pellets are much cheaper than oil.

so are you paranoid? No! To each thier own, you have to do what makes you most comfortable.

Dulcee
03-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Dryer - no

Washing machine, dish washer, crock pot - yes

DizneyRox
03-05-2012, 12:21 PM
On vacation? I usually shut the house down, only a few faucets on, most breakers go off, etc.

Day to day? I don't think about things too much. It's a good idea to keep things in order, like braided hoses to appliances, maintaining dryer vents, etc. So, while accidents can happen, I don't let them run my life.

I would guess there are bigger problems in most houses than those mentioned, like bad wiring, etc.

NewDVCowner
03-05-2012, 12:33 PM
If I go somewhere and take my dog with me (dog park, vet, visiting family that the dog is welcome at) I'll run the dryer and dishwasher. If the dog is at home I will not run anything. I occationally use a crockpot but I make sure that there is NOTHING close to it that might catch fire. I even have a hard time leaving a light on when I'm gone and the dog is trapped inside.

I will run the dishwasher over night, though.

BrerGnat
03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Well, I wasn't paranoid before, but I am now!

I routinely run all my major appliances (excluding stove/oven) when I'm not home.

Never even thought it could be an issue.

Our Washer and Dryer are brand new, and the home we are renting is less than 5 years old, so I don't worry about it too much. I suppose if there is a huge flood from the dishwasher one day, it will be our landlord's fault, not ours...

That's what insurance is for, right?

Now, I am very careful about leaving my flat iron or regular iron on. I unplug those and put them away when I'm done with them.

I don't own a crock pot, because I don't understand how those are any different than just slow simmering a pot on the stovetop all day. Never understood that. :confused: I would actually feel better about leaving a large pot on the stove simmering all day (gas stove), than a crock pot plugged in.

joonyer
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Clean your dryer lint trap daily, whether you use it when you are at home or gone. #1 cause of dryer fires = clogged lint filters.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Clothes Washer - all the time

Dryer - all the time, but when we had a traditional dryer, we cleaned the vent pipe once a month; I now have a condensing dryer and clean the condenser once a month, but the lint is never dry.

Dishwasher - all the time (because of the industry my husband works in, mine is never more than 4 yrs old)

I've even left my oven on and always leave the crock pot on - that's what it is for.

diz_girl
03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Mel - you are not paranoid. Dryer fires are a big concern.

What I do is -
Dryer - No
Washer - Yes, but I often use the timer to start close to my return, like a pp. Thankfully, the previous owner installed a drain by the washer, so a washer malfunction flooding the house is less of a concern.
Dishwasher - overnight only, never when no one is home.
Crock pot - Yes, that's it's purpose, although like a pp, I prefer to have it cook overnight and reheat in the evening.
Oven/stovetop - never. I worked with someone who cooked a turkey on Thanskgiving, left for 1/2 hour to get something from a nearby convenience store and returned to a home full of smoke and a charred turkey. The calibration was off and heated the oven at temperature much higher than the set temperature. Also, I'd never even consider leaving a gas stove on, what if the flame goes out, but the gas is still on, then it becomes potentially explosive.

I also recently installed an alarm system in my house, complete with fire alarm, which I never had where I used to live.

GrumpySue
03-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Not only do I not leave the washing machine on when I am not home, I shut the valve to the machine after every use. I have a friend who was on vacation and came home to find a hose busted on his washing maching which was on the second floor of his house. Water was pouring out for a week until he got home, his house suffered serious water damage. I shut the main valve to the whole house every time I go on vacation.

Also I was at home once with my dishwasher going and all of a sudden water started pouring out of the front below the door, a utensil had come loose and was jamming the water shutoff thingy, good thing I was there to stop it or it could have been bad.

My cousin also had a dryer fire that destroyed her business, she had a day spa and was drying towels and went for a quick ride to the store and came back and the whole building was on fire.

So yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid......

Ian
03-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, I wasn't paranoid before, but I am now!LOL!! I was thinking the same thing!

Dulcee
03-05-2012, 05:36 PM
. I shut the main valve to the whole house every time I go on vacation.

We do this too now! The hot water line blew on our sink one night. In the five groggy minutes it took us to figure out to shut the valve the entire kitchen was flooded. I can't imagine the mess if we had been away for a weekend or something when it happened...

IloveDisney71
03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't leave the house with any major appliances like the washer, dryer, dishwasher, oven, etc. on. I've had a washer flood on me and a washer motor burn up on me so I'm very careful with things like that. I will leave my crockpot on when I'm not at home but it's a new one and I put it on my stove so it won't get anything else hot. I also turn off all of our ceiling fans when we aren't home or even in the room with them.

jmj18
03-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I have never done it in the past and do not ever plan to do so.

We had 2 very bad fires (days apart and houses apart) in our town recently and they were so horrible. Terrible for those families and I just get so nervous.

I so want to be able to set the crock pot and go...BUT...I would be worried all day long.

So, you are not alone....

:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-05-2012, 10:16 PM
I absolutely have no problem leaving the crockpot on while I'm at work. The dryer though--no. And, I didn't use to run my clothes washer while out of the house, because my old washer occasionally over-flowed. But my new washer is no worry. For these that unplug appliances when he are not gone, fires can start in the walls of a house, whether something is plugged in or not.

Even more danger may lurk in the breaker box. There was a house fire a block from my house that week that started in the breaker box in the garage. A co-worker of my husband's had the same situation last year. I have made an appointment for someone to come and inspect our breaker box, but have felt very nervous going off to work the last couple of weeks.

Ed
03-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Am I too paranoid?

Yes. Yes, you are. :crazy: ;)

I guess we're all a little paranoid, eh? :blush:

Speak for yourself, please. :D

I shut the main valve to the whole house every time I go on vacation.

So yeah, maybe I'm a bit paranoid......

In that case, me too. We always shut off the main valve if we're going to be gone overnight or longer.

Even more danger may lurk in the breaker box.

Excellent point. Our former home was rewired in the early 70's with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) breaker box that almost burned down the house in the 90's. :fireman: Fortunately we followed our noses to the source of the smell and shut if off in time. Most of the individual breakers in the box were melted. Seems these boxes were total junk and caused many, many fires. If that's what you've got, get it replaced YESTERDAY.

Mickey'sGirl
03-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Even more danger may lurk in the breaker box. There was a house fire a block from my house that week that started in the breaker box in the garage. A co-worker of my husband's had the same situation last year. I have made an appointment for someone to come and inspect our breaker box, but have felt very nervous going off to work the last couple of weeks.

Excellent point. Our former home was rewired in the early 70's with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) breaker box that almost burned down the house in the 90's. :fireman: Fortunately we followed our noses to the source of the smell and shut if off in time. Most of the individual breakers in the box were melted. Seems these boxes were total junk and caused many, many fires. If that's what you've got, get it replaced YESTERDAY.Great.
Now I'm going to worry about this too!! ;)

Melanie
03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Wow, lots of interesting stories and perspectives here. I've read them all intently, and my initial "paranoia" hasn't changed. Thank goodness for insurance and the sort of peace of mind it brings!

kakn7294
03-06-2012, 08:47 AM
The only "appliance" that I'll leave on when I leave the house is the crock pot and that strongly depends on where I'm going, how long I'll be gone, and what's in the crock pot.

PopPhan
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Washer, dishwasher, anything that has a water pump that is operational in cycle MUST be turned off before leaving the house -- DO NOT need to come home to a flood!!

Dryer also a definite OFF before leaving. Clean lint trap/exhaust piping or not, all that needs happen is a spark or it not shutting off to burn down the house.

Crock pots are OK...They are 'supposedly' built with all kinds of safeguards...BUT that depends on the amount of time I will be away - not more than 3 - 5 hours.

Surprisingly, I don't think twice about all the 'normal' electronics - TV, Computer, Stereo Equipment, Coffee Maker, etc. - although these are probably the bigger culprits in home fires. Main reason for that is overloading circuits and power spikes.

laprana
03-06-2012, 10:03 AM
You're not paranoid, Mel! Or at least a lot of us are paranoid with you! :D I'm the same way, don't leave anything major running if I leave the house. Dryer, washer, dishwasher, space heater, crock pot...it all gets turned off if I leave or not turned on till I get back home. I was a reporter for my local newspaper for 5 years and I covered a LOT of house fires, many of them fatal. Almost all of them were caused from a dryer or a space heater. I'd rather have wet clothes than a burned down house!

DizneyRox
03-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Excellent point. Our former home was rewired in the early 70's with a Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) breaker box that almost burned down the house in the 90's. :fireman: Fortunately we followed our noses to the source of the smell and shut if off in time. Most of the individual breakers in the box were melted. Seems these boxes were total junk and caused many, many fires. If that's what you've got, get it replaced YESTERDAY.
Yesterday or sooner. As a matter of fact, I'd rent a hotel room until it's replaced, they are that dangerous. I'm surprised you were able to turn them off...

buzznwoodysmom
03-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I absolutely have no problem leaving the crockpot on while I'm at work. The dryer though--no. And, I didn't use to run my clothes washer while out of the house, because my old washer occasionally over-flowed. But my new washer is no worry. For these that unplug appliances when he are not gone, fires can start in the walls of a house, whether something is plugged in or not.

Those are all excellent points. It's impossible to eliminate all risk factors that can cause a fire. Doing what a lot of posters here do is one way to at least decrease those risks. I for one, can't believe the number of people who leave their home with the dryer running. To me that's a huge risk!

Ian
03-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Am I the only one who can't read the title of this thread without hearing, "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once" in his head?

MNNHFLTX
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Am I the only one who can't read the title of this thread without hearing, "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once" in his head? ??:confused:

Melanie
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
??:confused:

I had to look it up Beth. Apparently it's a Green Day song, so no surprise I had no idea what Ian was talking about. I'm definitely not hip. I thought he was saying I was whiny. ;)

BrerGnat
03-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Ian, I am pretty sure Mel is JUST paranoid. ;)

MNNHFLTX
03-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Well, okay then. I listen to a lot of Green Day and I didn't catch that reference either.

On a side note, maybe I'm just paranoid--but how did my yellow confused smiley become the blue exorcist eyes smiley? Ian, did you steal it?

Ian
03-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Ian, did you steal it?Now who's paranoid? ;)

Ed
03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Yesterday or sooner. As a matter of fact, I'd rent a hotel room until it's replaced, they are that dangerous. I'm surprised you were able to turn them off...

I was surprised, too; the main breaker was one of the few that wasn't melted. Luckily, we have a good friend who is an electrician, and he got there pretty quickly and replaced the entire panel.

Federal Pacific Electric = DEFINITE visit from :fireman:. Google them; it's a real eye-opener.

MNNHFLTX
03-06-2012, 10:33 PM
Now who's paranoid? ;)That was weird. For a while my confused smiley turned into the exorcist eyes smiley and Ian, your avatar was the confused smiley. Please someone else tell me they saw this! Now things are back to normal. I'm so befuddled.

Anyway back to the topic at hand.

diz_girl
03-07-2012, 02:43 PM
Am I the only one who can't read the title of this thread without hearing, "Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once" in his head?

Yes, Ian. Yes, you are.

Of course, now I'll have that song in my head until I get in the car and play my MSEP music.

On another note. Now I'm paranoid about my circuit breaker, although we only bought the place a year ago and it had an electrical inspection as part of the home inspection. Digging out home inspection...there were three items pointed out and the previous owner had a licensed electrician fix them. Phew. Of course, the previous owner built the house himself in the 70's, so who knows what isn't visible.

And finally, I think that we'll shut off the water whenever we're away, including overnight. It's well water, so I just have to flip a switch next to the well pump. Thanks for the suggestion.

PirateLover
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM

"I am one of those melodramatic fools, neurotic to the bone, no doubt about it."
HAHA That is the FIRST thing that ran through my head when I saw the thread title.

Anyway this is so weird because my husband is the same way. We have never used our crock pot because he won't leave anything running. If I leave the air filter running or a light on he gets upset. Maybe I'm destined to burn the house down, I just don't really think much about stuff like that.

DVC2004
03-08-2012, 05:44 PM
I will leave the house with the dryer or the dishwasher on. I do clean the lint trap in the dryer after every load and my husband recently cleaned the vent so that doesn't worry me. A home out by me actually burned down recently, and it was tied to lint from the dryer. So, not a paranoid concern at all. It does happen!

One thing though that I absolutely always do is unplug the toaster after I use it. I never leave it plugged in. I just think they are cheaply made. My husband thinks I am crazy and he always plugs it back in, but I go by and unplug it again and then he forgets until he uses it next. Which is pretty infrequently.

NewDVCowner
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
One thing though that I absolutely always do is unplug the toaster after I use it. I never leave it plugged in. I just think they are cheaply made. My husband thinks I am crazy and he always plugs it back in, but I go by and unplug it again and then he forgets until he uses it next. Which is pretty infrequently.

Thank you for that. This morning I HAD to unplug my toaster before I left. I sense a new phobia coming on.

DonLefNY
03-10-2012, 06:20 PM
I never, ever leave the house with one of them running. Ex-firefighter here, way too many dryer fires and busted washer hoses.

Tick-Tock
03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
One thing though that I absolutely always do is unplug the toaster after I use it. I never leave it plugged in. I just think they are cheaply made.

A senior firefighter who did a presentation on fire safety at work said that toasters are the most dangerous appliances. He very strongly urged any of us with toasters to replace them with toaster ovens.

Itchy
03-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Dishwasher, hasn't worked in 20 years, used as storage.

I guess that is why the EX got rid of me because I would not was dishes...:blush:

I will use the dishwasher when I am gone but rarely will I do laundy with out being at home..

I don't like leaving clothes in the washer to sour or clothes in the dryer to wrinkle..

TinkerbellT421
03-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Working in the fire alarm industry I have seen and heard a lot of stories.

I never ever leave anything on when I leave the house, that includes and not limited to the usual, except the refrigerator.

Someone at work said one time she had something going in the crockpot, while at work for 8.5 hours and not to mention the extra hour to and from work.....almost 11 hours of something cooking in a crockpot? Never ever ever could I do that. EVER. I am WAY too paranoid.

I wouldn't call it paranoid, I would call it being safe than sorry, though I have had people make fun of me before for my thought processes. But again, after working in an industry where you see and hear a lot of stories. Nothing is ever safe from being a hazard no matter who you are. So again, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Aurora
03-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I never gave it a thought until a friend of mine had a full-blown fire started by lint from the clothes dryer. Luckily, they were home, and they put out the fire before it could get out of control.

I don't even sleep with the dryer running anymore.