PDA

View Full Version : Strollers in the parks

ANG
03-04-2012, 07:11 PM
This will be our first year bringing 2 kids, and both will need a stroller.

Do you think it would be easier to navigate a lightweight double stroller. Or 2 single umbrella type strollers?

And also, wearing our youngest is no longer an option. He's 1 and doesn't like to be strapped on now.

Emme&TeddysMommy
03-04-2012, 07:30 PM
I prefer a double stroller. The umbrella strollers didn't allow the kids to lay down and take naps and also my hubby is on the taller side he felt like he was hunching over to push an umbrella stroller. I also enjoyed we could take turns pushing our little ones to give each other a break.

gaffz70
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
I think it depends on which you prefer for your 1 year old. If you prefer that he be able to recline, then maybe the double is better. I personally preferred the two umbrella strollers. My dh and I were able to navigate very easy with them. They were also easy to fold for the buses/ boats / airplane etc.
I was also someone who never really liked navigating w/ my double stroller at home either - only used it when my youngest was an infant.

AmandaChan
03-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I've heard good things about renting those double strollers city mini's... i would probably use a double stroller, that way you can put your junk underneath it. and those umbrella strollers would kill my back if i had to push those things around all day. i like regular strollers better.

ANG
03-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I've heard good things about renting those double strollers city mini's... i would probably use a double stroller, that way you can put your junk underneath it. and those umbrella strollers would kill my back if i had to push those things around all day. i like regular strollers better.

Would you happen to know where to rent those particular strollers?

ANG
03-05-2012, 07:24 AM
NM, wow like $85 for our entire trip! I might as well invest in just buying one since we plan to need it more than once.

Madame Leona
03-05-2012, 07:42 AM
I prefer two strollers in case you need to split up for any reason. For ex, one child falls asleep and you want to head back to the room or just find a shady spot to sit, the other adult can take the other child and still walk around, do rides, etc.

Joannelet
03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I believe you can rent them at Orlando stroller rentals.com. My sister has used them and they were very reliable.

AmandaChan
03-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Would you happen to know where to rent those particular strollers?

google orlando stroller rental. i believe the strollers you rent are like $400 strollers and you won't have to worry about taking it on the plane, etc. If you're going to be carrying around a 1 year old at the airport anyways, then maybe you should invest in one. If I had 2 young kids that can walk around easily without wandering off, then I would probably rent.

ledudes
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
If you will be riding on the buses, I would say 2 would be easier getting on and off the bus than a double. It is also good if you ever split up. The hardest part of strollers in the parks is getting on and off the transportation!

gatorboardgirl
05-10-2012, 07:44 AM
I would go with a city mini double they are really light weight and super easy to close :) I was searching online for rental companies and found out that babies r us actually rents now, you could always check them out babiesrus.com/travelrentals

Hope this helps :)

BrerGnat
05-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Two separate umbrellas. This serves the dual purpose of allowing you and your DH (or whoever else) to separate if necessary, and each take one kid. This works especially well with bathroom breaks...double strollers are IMPOSSIBLE to manage in bathrooms.

Plus, it's just easier than managing ANY double stroller, period. Double strollers are annoying, at best.

angyl15
05-10-2012, 09:00 AM
My sons are 1.5 and 3.5 and we are planning to bring our city mini double. It easily fits through doorways, etc and both seats fully recline and have the super large sunshade which I have found to be a huge plus at WDW. If you decide to buy one and price is a concern, search online - I was able to get a discontinued color for about $100 cheaper.

AgentC
05-10-2012, 09:39 AM
When both of mine were in a stroller I preferred a double stroller but it does need to be a good double stroller like the city mini double that many have mentioned.

I did several trips with my own middle of the line (around $200) strollers and it was not always easy to use. Since we only tended to use the double at Disney, I started rented the city mini double and loved it. Easy to maneuver, easy to push, lots of storage room and folds easy. I never had a problem on the monorails or boats, but I do not usually take the buses. Obviously the double will take up more room.

I think it depends on how you do the parks. We usually never split up so a double works great and only one person has to push. If you think you will split up a single may be better.

Disney Doll
05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
We prefer two single umbrellas and just returned from our second trip with that arrangement. Here's why we like it:

1. You can split up
2. umbrellas are so much easier to manage on buses
3. A double is often hard to steer through a crowd, difficult in doorways, and can be a lot for one person to push.

Not all umbrellas are created equal. If you get a good one you can get recline and taller handles. I recommend the Chicco Lightway.

texas211
05-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Well, if you are bringing the big double, don't forget the brush guard in the front, and the Ben Hur style chariot wheels. I noticed, these features seem to be the rage lately as i was getting run over in the park this last time.

But i saw a big advantage to the double wide. I was watching tired parents toss their kids into strollers after a show. The double wide gives you more of a target to toss them into... and can haul more stuff.

As an experienced air traveler, i couldn't image draggin the double around the airport and security.

shadowden
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
You could do the double stroller that sits 1 in front, 1 in back. Or then there's the double strollers that are a sit and stand variety.

Less space (width wise) when trying to navigate the parks...

MNNHFLTX
05-11-2012, 04:42 PM
You could do the double stroller that sits 1 in front, 1 in back. Or then there's the double strollers that are a sit and stand variety.

Less space (width wise) when trying to navigate the parks...Right--I really think it depends on that double stroller. If it's truly lightweight and relatively compact, you could get by with it. However, I have seen many parents struggle with navigating Hummer-type strollers through the parks and on/off transportation. That would just not be worth the extra storage space and reclining space, IMO. And the point about being able to split up if you have two strollers is a good one.

locutus
05-12-2012, 01:38 AM
if your bringing your own strollers you may want to do what i did. Bring a cable lock and lock them onto something when going on the rides. Ive had a couple freinds say when thy got off rides their expensive strolles were gone. When i went , just locked it up. Took 2 seconds.

bunkyg
05-12-2012, 10:31 AM
Let me offer another angle to think about,

So far most responses have been about moving around the Parks, Which is well and good but you still have to get to and from the parks, Presumably using Disney transportation. Unless your planning on traveling after the morning rush and returning early from the Parks that huge double stroller will add to the havoc on the buses. Some of these mega strollers take up the room of 2 people and completely block the aisle especially when the party refuses to be separated. Try this mark out a 26" by 26" spot on the floor and place chairs or some other objects around the square and try to place your folded stroller inside the square. This will give you a good idea of what it will be like on the bus.

Mammabruski
05-12-2012, 11:53 AM
We're fans of the double side by side, it's what we took last March for our DDs ages 4 and 1.5. If you're looking for an affordable stroller I have a great suggestion for you. The Graco Duorider in Abbington can be found on Albee Baby (google it) and is only $80. We used this for years, through the airport many, many times and once to WDW. It is side by side, is only about 23 lbs, can fit through any door frame, has a HUGE basket underneath and folds flat. I originally wanted a super stylish MacLaren but went with this because of the giant basket underneath. For the money it can't be beat!

I also like the sit and stand option. We're actually going to retire our Duorider, it has seen many, many miles and my oldest is a little big for it, so we purchased the new Graco Sit and Stand. It is called the "Room for Two" and can hold 50lbs in each seat. They have a more feature filled one called the "Room to Grow" as well. Both of these have very large baskets underneath. I really like how easily this stroller folds and how solid and well built it seems. I got the Room for Two from Albee Baby for only $119. This might be a good option if your oldest if bigger...

Whatever you do, good luck! I personally would get a double, then one parent can have the stroller and the diaper bag and the other can mind the kids on the bus...

ANG
05-12-2012, 07:31 PM
We're fans of the double side by side, it's what we took last March for our DDs ages 4 and 1.5. If you're looking for an affordable stroller I have a great suggestion for you. The Graco Duorider in Abbington can be found on Albee Baby (google it) and is only $80. We used this for years, through the airport many, many times and once to WDW. It is side by side, is only about 23 lbs, can fit through any door frame, has a HUGE basket underneath and folds flat. I originally wanted a super stylish MacLaren but went with this because of the giant basket underneath. For the money it can't be beat!

I also like the sit and stand option. We're actually going to retire our Duorider, it has seen many, many miles and my oldest is a little big for it, so we purchased the new Graco Sit and Stand. It is called the "Room for Two" and can hold 50lbs in each seat. They have a more feature filled one called the "Room to Grow" as well. Both of these have very large baskets underneath. I really like how easily this stroller folds and how solid and well built it seems. I got the Room for Two from Albee Baby for only $119. This might be a good option if your oldest if bigger...

Whatever you do, good luck! I personally would get a double, then one parent can have the stroller and the diaper bag and the other can mind the kids on the bus...

Thank you for the advice! A sit and stand is not an option for us as our 3yr old is ASD. He needs a seat.

We are driving so I'm not concerned about the airport but we do plan to use some of the buses. The two singles does sound very appealing to me in case we need to split up, but that probably won't happen much.

BrerGnat
05-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the advice! A sit and stand is not an option for us as our 3yr old is ASD. He needs a seat.

We are driving so I'm not concerned about the airport but we do plan to use some of the buses. The two singles does sound very appealing to me in case we need to split up, but that probably won't happen much.

If one of your kids is ASD, you will probably need to split up more than you think. That's our family's experience, anyway. We have to split up often when each boy wants to eat something different and we need to get the food from two different places. Also, one of our sons is more daring than the other one, so he will ride stuff the other won't. When we were using strollers, we always took two when we'd go to Disneyland for the day. I sold off both our sit and stand as well as our side by side double after I realized what a hassle those kinds are in the parks.

We got two Maclaren's. Best money I ever spent on baby gear...seriously!

ANG
05-12-2012, 07:50 PM
If one of your kids is ASD, you will probably need to split up more than you think. That's our family's experience, anyway. We have to split up often when each boy wants to eat something different and we need to get the food from two different places. Also, one of our sons is more daring than the other one, so he will ride stuff the other won't. When we were using strollers, we always took two when we'd go to Disneyland for the day. I sold off both our sit and stand as well as our side by side double after I realized what a hassle those kinds are in the parks.

We got two Maclaren's. Best money I ever spent on baby gear...seriously!

Yeah that's why I'm leaning more towards the singles. This will be our third trip with our oldest but the first taking both kids. Do you know if they will give a second GAC card for our youngest as well so we can wait in lines together even if we have 2 strollers? Don't you attach it to the stroller?

casey@bat
05-12-2012, 10:16 PM
I suggest renting from Disney. It's hard to get on and off the buses with a huge stroller, especially at night if both kids are asleep. You will each be holding a kid and someone has to breakdown the stoller and put it on the bus.

Double is also good for one parent to go get fast passes,or lunch while the other waits or gets a table with both kids in one stroller.

My kids are 15, 12, and 8 now. We have tried every type of stroller mentioned above. Fork out the money and rent a double each day!

If you think either child can upsnap the seat belt, get a harness to put on them and strap it to yourself while they are in the stroller. My daughter escaped right before the parade while we were occupied with our son. She walked 20 feet away from us to the light up spinny sales stand!

BrerGnat
05-13-2012, 09:36 AM
I suggest renting from Disney. It's hard to get on and off the buses with a huge stroller, especially at night if both kids are asleep. You will each be holding a kid and someone has to breakdown the stoller and put it on the bus.

Double is also good for one parent to go get fast passes,or lunch while the other waits or gets a table with both kids in one stroller.

My kids are 15, 12, and 8 now. We have tried every type of stroller mentioned above. Fork out the money and rent a double each day!

If you think either child can upsnap the seat belt, get a harness to put on them and strap it to yourself while they are in the stroller. My daughter escaped right before the parade while we were occupied with our son. She walked 20 feet away from us to the light up spinny sales stand!

A double stroller from Disney is something like $35/day to rent. That is insane!

For the same amount of money for the week, you can buy two good quality strollers and they are yours to keep.

casey@bat
05-13-2012, 02:52 PM
A double stroller from Disney is something like $35/day to rent. That is insane!

For the same amount of money for the week, you can buy two good quality strollers and they are yours to keep.

I thought the same thing years ago and bought a really nice stroller with the money I would have used renting. It was almost impossible to get on and off the buses. I have also taken light weight umbrella strollers that were easy to get on and off the buses. But they were hard to push around the park and it made my back hurt.

Maybe a 1 year old and 3 year old won't be that hard to push in an umbrella stroller. Someone may have mentioned this already, but you can get a device that hooks them together. So then you could stay together and separate!

texas211
05-13-2012, 06:35 PM
if your bringing your own strollers you may want to do what i did. Bring a cable lock and lock them onto something when going on the rides. Ive had a couple freinds say when thy got off rides their expensive strolles were gone. When i went , just locked it up. Took 2 seconds.

I was sitting waiting for DW to get off of ToT and RnR, in front of the Beauty show. In the course of an hour, saw at least 3-4 strollers i know came with different folks walk off, and what look like some folks going through some strollers.

So lock up the stroller if you can, don't leave valuables in it it. I'd park a stroller, much like I park my car... Always leave it next to one better than your own.

Lizzie
05-13-2012, 06:35 PM
My theory is how much time or you spending getting on and off the bus and how much time are you spending in the parks?

Do you want your kids to be able to nap in the stroller? Are you going to park hop or stay in one park? Is one adult going to be left alone with both kids while another one rides a ride with height restrictions?

ANG
05-14-2012, 09:25 AM
On most days we'll go back to the resort midday for their naps. So I'm not concerned about them napping in the strollers but I do want them to be comfortable.

I'm not sure there is a big different between each parent taking a kid and light weight stroller, vs DH taking a heavy double stroller and me with 2 kids (keeping in mind my 3yr old needs constant attention).

And if you rent from Disney, you wouldn't be able to go back mid day, right?

BrerGnat
05-14-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure there is a big different between each parent taking a kid and light weight stroller, vs DH taking a heavy double stroller and me with 2 kids (keeping in mind my 3yr old needs constant attention).

And if you rent from Disney, you wouldn't be able to go back mid day, right?

If you rent from Disney, you can drop off the stroller when you exit the park, and keep the receipt so you can pick up another one later in the day at whatever park you are at. The stroller rentals are PER DAY, so you'd be covered there. The main problem is that there aren't Disney strollers outside of the 4 main parks, so if you visit Downtown Disney or a resort where you want to explore and walk around, you will not have a stroller. I don't recommend renting Disney strollers with a 1 and 3 year old. They are not really suitable for a 1 year old. They are essentially hard plastic chairs with wheels...not enough support or cushioning for a baby.

If you get a lightweight stroller that has a shoulder carry strap, that is ideal. That way, it is easy to manage a stroller while keeping your hands free to deal with a child. I used to carry my stroller over my shoulder and still be able to carry my 1 year old AND a backpack (going up/down steps, for example, or when getting on/off a bus/tram).

If you bring a double stroller, one person will basically always be dealing with the stroller while leaving the other to deal with both kids (on transportation). That's kind of a pain, as finding enough seats together can be hard. If you can split up on buses, etc. it will be easier to manage. It's much easier to find 2 seats together than 3 or 4 plus room for a double stroller. The other problem is that double strollers often come with huge storage baskets that people tend to overfill. Remember, before you fold a stroller to bring it on transportation, you HAVE to empty the entire thing. So, you will have to manage the stroller, all the stuff you stored in the "handy" storage area, and then 2 kids. The smaller lightweight umbrellas basically have no storage space, which forces you to be minimalist in your approach to what you bring into the parks. This is a plus, as it keeps you "ready to go" at all times. Remove kid. Fold stroller, and go. Carry a backpack and only bring in what you ABSOLUTELY need, keeping in mind you can always replenish your supplies during your midday break.

BrerGnat
05-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Yeah that's why I'm leaning more towards the singles. This will be our third trip with our oldest but the first taking both kids. Do you know if they will give a second GAC card for our youngest as well so we can wait in lines together even if we have 2 strollers? Don't you attach it to the stroller?

You don't attach a GAC to a stroller. It's a card that you carry. If you need a GAC that is designated "Stroller as wheelchair", then it will only be issued to the child that needs that accommodation. Your 1 year old will not be given the same accommodation, so you would not be able to bring both strollers into lines. I recommend asking for the "alternative entrance" GAC accommodation, as this will allow you all to wait together in an area other than the main queue, often in an area that has a place to sit.

A GAC will only be issued to a person with a disability. In addition, I do not believe you can use the "Stroller as wheelchair" designation with a double stroller, but I may be wrong. I think the double strollers cannot be accommodated in the lines, as they are too wide.

ANG
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I do not believe you can use the "Stroller as wheelchair" designation with a double stroller, but I may be wrong. I think the double strollers cannot be accommodated in the lines, as they are too wide.

This is a good point!