PDA

View Full Version : Question @ upgrading tickets

Urbss
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
I need some help for all you experts!

We are going to book a trip very soon and will most likely be getting a 6 or 7 day ticket with park hopper.

We are also contemplating the possibility of 2 more visits within the calendar year following our upcoming trip, but there are several things that we are not sure of right now (at the time of our current booking). But, by the time we arrive on site, we will probably have a better idea.

I've heard that you can upgrade your tickets as long as you do so before the last day that your current ticket is used. If we were to decide to upgrade our tickets to an annual pass, how would that work? Would we loose a portion of the money on the original tickets? Where would I go to do this?

I couldn't find anything that really helped me to understand this on Disney's site, so I knew I had to turn to Intercot!!

Thanks,
Tom

disneymom15
03-04-2012, 04:46 PM
We upgraded to AP's last year for our daughter and her boyfriend. It was very simple, we just went to customer relations at one of the parks, paid the price difference and we were done.

Fangorn
03-04-2012, 04:55 PM
how would that work? Would we loose a portion of the money on the original tickets? Where would I go to do this?

It's really very easy.

You can go to to any Guest Relations window at any of the Parks, or at Downtown Disney. We usually do this at DTD.

As long as the ticket is still valid, all you have to do is pay the difference between the cost of the AP and cost of the existing ticket. The AP will expire 1 year from the date of the first use of the original ticket, NOT 1 year from the date you upgrade.

Steve

Urbss
03-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Wow!! Really?

So, if we don't buy the AP right up front and get the 6 or 7 day park hopper, we won't loose any money on the deal? There are no fees or anything?

I'm astounded - don't get me wrong, I don't think Disney trys to take advantage of people, quite the opposite, but I really didn't think it would be that easy.

This gives me so much peace of mind about trying to decide ahead of time if we should get the AP when we book the trip.

Thank you very much!!!!

BrerGnat
03-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Disney does not charge a fee to upgrade a ticket.

Any ticket can be upgraded in any way as long as:

-There is still at least ONE valid day of admission on the ticket.

-The ticket is not a promotional ticket with "no value" (Disney sometimes gives away tickets like this as prizes...these cannot be upgraded).

Fangorn
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
we won't loose any money on the deal? There are no fees or anything?

No fees. You just pay the price difference.

Steve

MrPeetrie
03-05-2012, 02:29 AM
We upgraded to AP's last year for our daughter and her boyfriend. It was very simple, we just went to customer relations at one of the parks, paid the price difference and we were done.

I did the exact same thing last year. No issues whatsoever.

I had an AP, while my DW and DD8 had 10-day hoppers. When my daughter accidentally demagnetized her ticket, I went to customer service at Disney Hollywood Studios to have it replaced. Once there, I inquired about upgrading theirs to APs. They told me the full price of the hoppers would be applied and I just needed to pay the difference. I walked out and said to them: "I just bought our tickets for next year so we're coming back!"

That's a good day!

MickeysBestPal
03-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm astounded - don't get me wrong, I don't think Disney trys to take advantage of people, quite the opposite, but I really didn't think it would be that easy.

What Disney is doing is making the upgrade situation it as though you had bought an AP at the time you first bought and used your original ticket.

That's why they back-date the anniversary date of the AP to the date that you first used your original ticket.

You don't lose any money for using "days" off of your original ticket because you would not have lost any money if you had bought an AP and used it to-begin-with.

MrPeetrie
03-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Urbss, at least on member of your party should by an AP before you book your room IF you plan to stay on property. That way, you can take advantage of AP early-booking discounts on room rates.

MickeysBestPal
03-05-2012, 10:01 AM
Urbss, at least on member of your party should by an AP before you book your room IF you plan to stay on property. That way, you can take advantage of AP early-booking discounts on room rates.

You do not need to OWN an AP (have it in your possession) to book an AP room rate.

You can purchase the AP when you arrive for that trip.

BrerGnat
03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
You do not need to OWN an AP (have it in your possession) to book an AP room rate.

You can purchase the AP when you arrive for that trip.

I thought you had to show a purchase voucher when you check in. Is that no longer the case?

MickeysBestPal
03-05-2012, 05:12 PM
I thought you had to show a purchase voucher when you check in. Is that no longer the case?

If the resort desk CM asks to see your AP when you check in, you can tell the CM that you're buying the AP (or upgrading to an AP) and will bring the AP to the desk in the next 24 hours. That's actually been a standard procedure for years.

Also, nowadays, a WDW resort can actually sell you a new AP on-the-spot.
(Resorts can't perform AP renewals but they can sell new AP's.)

BTW, an AP voucher is not really much good for proof of anything, as you could continue to hold it and not convert it to a live AP during your current trip, if you chose not to.

BrerGnat
03-05-2012, 06:59 PM
If the resort desk CM asks to see your AP when you check in, you can tell the CM that you're buying the AP (or upgrading to an AP) and will bring the AP to the desk in the next 24 hours. That's actually been a standard procedure for years.

Also, nowadays, a WDW resort can actually sell you a new AP on-the-spot.
(Resorts can't perform AP renewals but they can sell new AP's.)

BTW, an AP voucher is not really much good for proof of anything, as you could continue to hold it and not convert it to a live AP during your current trip, if you chose not to.

Good to know. I've only been a DisneyLAND annual passholder in the past, and there, when you call to book a resort using an AP discount, you need to provide them with your actual AP barcode number before they will even make a ressie, so WDW's practices are foreign to me. However, I am toying with the idea of buying an AP if they don't renew the Armed Forces Salute discount again for next year.