PDA

View Full Version : March changes (Re: FASTPASS)

Kenny1113
03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I just wanted to find out how the fast pass changes are working out. I want to clarify that I am not asking how anyone feels about the changes. I just want to know if it is going smoothly in the parks. We are there in a couple of weeks and I want to know what to expect.
Thank you.

MickeysBestPal
03-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I just wanted to find out how the fast pass changes are working out. I want to clarify that I am not asking how anyone feels about the changes. I just want to know if it is going smoothly in the parks. We are there in a couple of weeks and I want to know what to expect.
Thank you.

The FP time-enforcement changes don't begin until March 7.

Kenny1113
03-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Oh! :blush:Thank you. Maybe I'll bump this a couple of days after the 7th.

mgmnut
03-04-2012, 08:41 AM
We have always abided by the FP return times. I had no idea it was common to use passes that are hours beyond the return time, I always thought we would be denied. Doesn't that just defeat the purpose? I guess we will not notice the difference then.

WDWdriver
03-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Today, in my area at least, there was a "soft" enforcement of the return time window. No guests were actually turned away. But those with expired FPs were delayed briefly while the CMs explained that in the future all guests would be expected to return during the window printed on their ticket. Also, all FP distribution machines have new signs attached which clearly state that guests must return during their window.

Tomorrow will likely be another "soft" enforcement day, but after that guests with expired FPs will not be admitted to the attractions.

Bay Lake
03-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Hey Ron,
What area are you in? Would love to come by this week and say Hi. Leaving tomorrow for 8 great days.

disneynarula
03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
I would love more information as the rule is enforced. Are there signs by the FP pick up?

WDWdriver
03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey Ron,
What area are you in? Would love to come by this week and say Hi. Leaving tomorrow for 8 great days.

I sent you a PM. Hope you can stop by and say hello.

goofysbabe
03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Just saw on the local news this morning that WDW will be cracking down on fastpasses - they say they will no longer let you use a fastpass past the time of return printed on the pass. This will effect me as I am guilty of using them past the return time.

Those of you who have just returned did you experienced this????

RBrooksC
03-09-2012, 10:59 AM
This really shouldn't be a problem for anybody. It's pretty simple, actually. Look at the return time and decide if you want to do it.

Actually, it might work out better in the long run for the rides that are out of FB early. Instead of people just getting a FB and using it whenever, they have to decide it they can make it back during the current window. If they cannot, it leave that FB for use by another guest.

I think once it works itself out over the next few weeks, one is going to difference in the flow of guest in the rides and how quickly the FB are distributed.

Pally
03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
I have used a pass once knowly after the expired time, TSM. Sometimes the line up times can be off for another ride. I have never gotten over turning around a corner in lineup and then seeing 200+ people in front of you. What a let down it can be. But, I have been at rides on other occasions with fass passes at the appropriate time and was blocked by so many people who came wayyy too early for their passes and blocked the entrance. :huh:

thrillme
03-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm a bit guilty of returning late. Sometimes it's next to impossible depending on the time to return perfectly within that window. Especially if you're standing in another 2 hour line...If you get your pass at 10:00 and it says return 11:00-1:00 and you go get in a line are you supposed to stand around for an hour and wait...ugh...:(

Between Fast Pass return enforcements, Dining reservations, and 2 hour waits...it just doesn't seem like much of a vacation anymore. I DO agree with Fast Passes expiring on the day you receive them.

My son's going this week. I'm going to let him know that they're getting sticky with it now.

Scar
03-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Make sure to read the last sentence.

Disney cracks down on FastPass enforcement

Published March 08, 2012

FoxNews.com

Disney says it's going to boost enforcement of its popular FASTPASS reservation service.

Disney's free FASTPASS reservation system allows guests to come back to a ride at a specified time within a one-hour window if they don't want to wait.

Walt Disney World and Disneyland have been letting visitors come back any time after that window and still be admitted to the FastPass line. Now Disney says it is putting an end to any wiggle room.

The Inside the Magic blog reports that Walt Disney World is now enforcing both the beginning and end times, allowing guests holding a FastPass to only return during the one-hour window stated on the slip.

"Walt Disney World is now enforcing both the beginning and end times, allowing guests holding a (FastPass) to only return during the one-hour window stated on the slip. And though it will affect regulars who know how to use the leniency to their advantage, most Walt Disney World guests already do return during the designated time window and likely won't notice much of a difference," writes Ricky Brigante of Inside the Magic.

Some say this is the first step in making way for Disney World's yet-to-be-revealed ride reservation system called XPass, where resort guests can reserve their ride times weeks and months in advance. And it is expected to allow for bookings for character meet and greets and key viewing spots for parades and fireworks.

"Given the tremendous popularity of FastPass with our guests, in fairness to all we want to ensure we provide the same opportunity to everyone," said Disney spokesman Rick Sylvain. But, he told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "if a guest experiences extenuating circumstances that affect their ability to return, we will deal with that on a case-by-case basis."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

ChipNDale79
03-09-2012, 02:40 PM
This really shouldn't be a problem for anybody. It's pretty simple, actually. Look at the return time and decide if you want to do it.

There's a whole thread down in the news section discussing why this is in place and how people were using it.

This thread is to see how the enforcement is going.

This topic will get pretty passionate once people start preaching to others how they should use a fast pass. Can we please avoid this?

Goofy4TheWorld
03-09-2012, 03:00 PM
There's a whole thread down in the news section discussing why this is in place and how people were using it.

This thread is to see how the enforcement is going.

This topic will get pretty passionate once people start preaching to others how they should use a fast pass. Can we please avoid this?

Ditto. I am interested in how it is now working in reality, not how those of us in virtual reality think it should.

MrPeetrie
03-09-2012, 03:07 PM
I, too, am interested in finding out how the new system is working.

I would like to wish all the CMs well as I fear they may receive some verbal abuse during its "break-in" period. Good luck!

LilHooligan74
03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
I would like to wish all the CMs well as I fear they may receive some verbal abuse during its "break-in" period. Good luck!
I agree with you on that. They are just trying to do a job. I will be there next month so I am curious to see how it will play out compared to past visits.

ronandjulie
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
I read a lot of posts saying "What happens if you cannot make it back in that window for things out of your control?" We have been using FP for years now and never had an issue with returning within that window. If something came up, or we just changed our minds and did something else, we just didn't use the FP. This is something so small that has grown into a big deal for no reason. People seem to make Dinner reservations, Show times, Parades, fireworks, etc. with no problems, but FP windows are too difficult?

Melanie
03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Agreed that we keep this thread about how the changes are being implemented and accepted!

Many, many folks weighed in on their feelings regarding the change, and that thread was retired. In reality, the change is happening and hopefully we'll have some concrete reports on how it's going reported here. I'll be there early next week and will be sure to report back. :thumbsup:

Kenny1113
03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the feedback thus far regarding the expirences with the changes! :thumbsup: I look forward to hearing more.

ChipNDale79
03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Agreed that we keep this thread about how the changes are being implemented and accepted!

Many, many folks weighed in on their feelings regarding the change, and that thread was retired. In reality, the change is happening and hopefully we'll have some concrete reports on how it's going reported here. I'll be there early next week and will be sure to report back. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see how it goes.

03-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Some "verbal abuse" so far but really not that much, at least for me.

disneynarula
03-10-2012, 03:16 AM
Has anyone been actually turned away?

TheRustyScupper
03-10-2012, 09:03 AM
1) Were there on the 8th.
2) People were definitely being turned away.
3) A few got abusive at Soarin.
4) But, CM explained they had printed times.
5) One argued,"It was a guideline not a rule".
6) Argument didn't work !

A Big Kid
03-10-2012, 09:52 AM
1) Were there on the 8th.
2) People were definitely being turned away.
3) A few got abusive at Soarin.
4) But, CM explained they had printed times.
5) One argued,"It was a guideline not a rule".
6) Argument didn't work !

The new rule is to enforce the guidelines. :number1:

LudwigVonDrake
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
We have always abided by the FP return times. I had no idea it was common to use passes that are hours beyond the return time, I always thought we would be denied. Doesn't that just defeat the purpose? I guess we will not notice the difference then.

What you said :wave:

Goes4FastPass
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM

So with that thread retired should we assume won't hear anything else about this change except what a great thing it is?

wiltsan
03-16-2012, 08:42 PM
I believe this went into effect March 1 - how is it going for folks? Any pros? Cons? My initial thought is that for our group this is going to be a negative. We often get our fast passes and then return much later in the day when we hit that area of the park again to go on the ride. I see alot of back and forth and backtracking with the new policy. Let me know, thanks!

Oh, too, we will be visiting next week and never visit in March - will the spring breakers be back at school by 3/23?

Kenny1113
03-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Yes they are loosely enforcing the one hour window. FP has been going very smoothly for us on this trip! FP waits have been minimal this far. :thumbsup:

CleveRocks
03-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Spring break will be ongoing through the week after Easter ... it just started about a week ago. No, the crowds are here to stay for a few weeks. I'll be there starting 3/21, and I'm prepared for long lines.

Main Street Jim
03-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Just so you guys know...the title is a little misleading :)

This is NOT....I repeat....*NOT* a "new" policy at all. It's just being enforced more, and this is part of the reason why:

We often get our fast passes and then return much later in the day when we hit that area of the park again to go on the ride.

The number of FP's for any given attraction is 80% of the hourly capacity. If that 80% isn't fully given out, of course then that number declines. If/when people "figured out" they could come back later (after their FP window), then the FP line, obviously, would be (virtually) longer.

Example: let's say that, oh, 1,500 people got a FP for Space Mountain for a specific one-hour window. And, say, 500 of *those* decided to come back later than their actual FP time. Those 500 guests then just added themselves to another one-hour window ("unknowingly" <?>, because they didn't understand how FP is *supposed* to work). So now, the FP line when they return is a longer wait, because they didn't come back when they were *supposed* to.

Make sense?

*Valid* reasons for "coming back later"?

1) Got held up by the parade on the other side of the park. (The only parade where guests can actually cross the street during the parade is the nighttime parade).

2) Attraction experienced technical difficulties, in which case CM's would issue "re-admission" FastPasses.

3) Lunch/dinner ran later than it should have.

4) Left the park, came back later, and...tram/monorail/ferry boat/bus broke down trying to get back.

These will all be dealt with on a case-by-case basis :)

WDWdriver
03-16-2012, 11:20 PM
this subject has been covered extensively in this forum and others. :beat:

In the end it really doesn't matter what we think about it. The return time printed on FastPasses is now being enforced, and that's the reality. If that causes some to alter their park plans, then they must deal with it. Currently a very high percentage of FP guests are returning within their window, and only a few are being turned away because their FPs have expired. There aren't many complaints. Most guests never knew that late returns were possible to begin with, and they always planned their return time accordingly. Not much has changed.

Fastpasssteve
03-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Well, one good thing will be that the FastPass line will actually be fast. It was created to be a reserved window of opportunity. I look forward to the FastPass lines to be shorter.

People will have to make a choice: Which do they want more...their Soarin' FastPass OR their reservation at Le Cellier.

MrPeetrie
03-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Well, one good thing will be that the FastPass line will actually be fast.

I agree. We finally got to ride Toy Story Mania last trip. We had heard so much about it and used the strategies discussed here to obtain a FastPass. (I went straight to the Distribution Booth while wife and kids went to Starring Rolls.)

Our FastPass window was for 4:50 p.m. - 5:50 p.m. and we got in line as soon as our tickets were valid . After about 25 minutes, my DW turned to me and said, "You must have got us in the wrong line. This must be standby."

But, just a few minutes later, someone collected our FastPasses so that was the FastPass Line. It just wasn't fast.

wiltsan
03-17-2012, 10:01 AM
I guess the moral of the story here is that FP guidelines were never very clear - at least to my family. I always thought that the rule was (and it was allowed/approved/okay) that you were allowed to enter any time after your designated FP time up until park closing. We are not WDW newbies (visit twice a year for the past 10) and so it wasn't a fluke, just always thought those were the rules. For those that are in favor of the old policy being enforced, apologies if our approach made lines longer for you. We never had any complaints about the old policy not being forced and it actually worked well for us in how we planned out our days. Looking like we will need to adjust this trip and get ready for the spring break crowds next week. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Kenny1113
03-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes.I have noticed FP lines have been much quicker this week. Just coincidence or is it because of changes??? ;)

FP has been running very smoothly. No hold ups outside of FP line due to people wanting to get in after FP time.

NLODisney
03-17-2012, 08:54 PM
Just returned last night from 8 great days at the World. Parks were all very crowded as expected but we were able to do everything we wanted to by arriving early and using fast passes. When on the tram and the bus to the parks the drivers made announcements about fp times being enforced and there were signs posted on the fp machines. At TSM there were cast members who took your park tickets and asked before they put them in the machine if you were able to come back at the time the fp were for and they again explained that you had to use your fp during the printed time (added some time to the time it took to get the fp).
It seemed that the posted wait times for the stand by lines were pretty accurate or even less wait than posted. Cast members were turning people away if their fp time was past. When we used oour TSM fp our return time was 12:05 to 1:05 ( I got them at 9:05) we went in at 12:13 and were on the ride at 12:17- the stand by line was 130 minutes. We had a bit of luck on this ride because the CM that took our fp had us go to the right side of the line and everyone else was going to the left and we were able to walk right in. We had three rides on Soarin on Wed morning before 10:00 by getting there quickly and getting a fp then getting in the stand by line. We were on the first ride of the morning in B front row seats 5 and 6- best eve:number1:r!! Then did Living with the Land and had a few minutes before our fp time so we got in the stand by line then used our fp immediately after. We decided to grab another fp after we got off with an afternoon return time of 205 to 305 so we had a fourth ride on our way out of EPCOT- we did have to wait about 20 minutes for that ride but the posted stand by time was 150 minutes when we went in.

MrPeetrie
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
NLODisney, great info! Great detail! Thanks

indytraveler
03-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Yes.I have noticed FP lines have been much quicker this week. Just coincidence or is it because of changes??? ;)

FP has been running very smoothly. No hold ups outside of FP line due to people wanting to get in after FP time.

Thanks for the update. DD and friends are going next week. I will remind her to abide by the rules. This sounds like a better system, the way it was intended to keep lines moving.