PDA

View Full Version : Annual Passes

tinksmom02
03-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, or if this information can be fond somewhere.

I'm *considering* 2 trips in a short period, which means possibly purchasing annual passes for DD & myself. I'm a little confused about the whole process--if I'm not mistaken, I can purchase the APs from my local Disney Store.
Would they expire from the date of purchase, or the first day they're used?

Do I have to do something special the first time I use them, or just head through the turnstiles?

I see on the WDW website that you can register your pass to get email notifications and "occasional" special offers. Would I be able to do this before "activating" the card--in other words, does this registration affect the expiration date?

Can you purchase the TIW card before using the AP for the first time? How does that process work?

How are the "occasional" room discounts?

Thank you so much!!

Melanie
03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
:thumbsup:

Would they expire from the date of purchase, or the first day they're used?

They will expire from the day they are activated/used. What you purchase at the store is a voucher. On the day the voucher is activated at the resort, that would be your 1 year date.

Do I have to do something special the first time I use them, or just head through the turnstiles?
You must "activate" the voucher. This can be done at any Guest Relations booth at any park and also at Downtown Disney. You cannot go through the turnstiles with your voucher.

I see on the WDW website that you can register your pass to get email notifications and "occasional" special offers. Would I be able to do this before "activating" the card--in other words, does this registration affect the expiration date?

You can (or at least you've been able to in the past) register your voucher on the AP website. There are many ways to sign on, and with a voucher is one of those ways.

Can you purchase the TIW card before using the AP for the first time? How does that process work?

The TiW card can be purchased at Guest Relations, so you'd be able to purchase the card when you activate the pass. The whole process should take about 15 minutes at most.

How are the "occasional" room discounts?

Occassional. ;)

tinksmom02
03-02-2012, 08:49 PM
LOL thanks, Melanie. Now that you've written it all out, I can recall hearing this info before--but it was never something I thought I'd be doing, so I didn't pay full attention.

Can't do the AP validation at the hotels, huh? Bummer.

DizneyRox
03-03-2012, 03:55 AM
Last I heard, policy was the AP must be active at check-in in order to get the room discount. I'd suggest getting the pass activated prior to check-in to avoid losing the discount.

I can't remember the last time I was asked for mine, but I have been asked.

tinksmom02
03-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Thanks for that tip, DizneyRox. I already have a (different) discount for our August trip, so I would probably wait to activate it until we got there. The room discount I'm hoping for would be for the November trip I'm scheming--er, I mean, dreaming--about. :blush:

Dopey's Girl
03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Last I heard, policy was the AP must be active at check-in in order to get the room discount. I'd suggest getting the pass activated prior to check-in to avoid losing the discount.

I can't remember the last time I was asked for mine, but I have been asked.

I just had the voucher when I checked in in January. It wasn't a problem. All the CM said was "AP rate. Nice. Means another trip coming!". She never asked to see it at all.

disneymom15
03-03-2012, 10:29 AM
I just had the voucher when I checked in in January. It wasn't a problem. All the CM said was "AP rate. Nice. Means another trip coming!". She never asked to see it at all.

That's how it's worked for us in the past. We've never been asked to show our AP at resort check-in.

Melanie
03-03-2012, 11:06 AM
That's how it's worked for us in the past. We've never been asked to show our AP at resort check-in.

Us as well. I've never showed my AP, military ID, nothing. And I checked in as late as last Saturday.

AXOAlum
03-17-2012, 06:30 PM
This is great info - we, too, are considering AP's for the first time.

Another question - if we have AP's do we get access to EMH if we are off property? We aren't planning to be off, but just in case I need to justify another *short* trip ;) :mickey:

Fangorn
03-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Another question - if we have AP's do we get access to EMH if we are off property?

No. You must be a resort guest to attend EMH. During EMH, everytime you get in line for a ride, the CM will ask to see your room key as proof that you are a current resort guest.

Steve