PDA

View Full Version : Should I go solo this Saturday? Which park?

floridamom
03-01-2012, 07:57 AM
In an unprecedented event, I will find myself home without husband or kids this weekend. I have a girls night planned for Friday night, but I am considering driving over to WDW Saturday just for the day. This would be my first time going alone ever, and I am not sure how I would feel once I get there. So much of my enjoyment at the parks comes from sharing times with family and friends. Any thoughts from those who have done or would do this? (I did read the recent solo adult traveler thread.) Or anyone also going solo this weekend who would want to meet up? ;-)

Also not sure which park I would hit- my first inclination would be MK, but crowds will be highest there. (Not planning on arriving for RD.) There is also an AP holder movie preview of John Carter at DHS I could attend, though I don't know that I would want to spend that much time not being on rides and attractions.

Then again, I could always stay home, enjoy the quiet and tackle a few things on the long term to-do list.

What to do?

BrerGnat
03-01-2012, 08:08 AM
GO!!!

I used to do it all the time when I lived near Disneyland, both before and after my kids were born. It's definitely bittersweet once you have gone with kids, but it's SO liberating. For what it's worth, I even took a solo WDW trip all the way from California when my oldest son was just over 1 year old. I needed a BREAK! LOL. :D

You can wander around and answer to no one but YOU. You can shop all you want without anyone acting up or whining. You can eat when you want, where you want. You can see/do things that your kids always want to skip, etc.

SInce you're so close, do it! I'd suggest parking at the TTC and then that way you can easily hit MK and Epcot. Those are the two best parks to do solo, IMO.

If you stay home, you'll end up doing chores. Yuck!

Have fun! Enjoy the solitude of being at WDW with thousands of fellow park goers. ;)

WDWgoofy
03-01-2012, 08:43 AM
GO!

I have been solo may times. Pick a park and enjoy! If you have doubts and are worried about crowds, then Epcot is always a good choice.

c&d
03-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Definitely go. I think I would go to either Epcot or AK. I always feel when I'm with the guys they don't want to stop in and see all the different things there are to see in those parks.

minnie04
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
GO !! GO !!! GO !!!!

This would be a nice time to just walk the parks with out caring what you do. See things you might not see when the whole family is with you. Dont worry to much about crowds since its just you. You can take your time and just stroll the park. How nice that will be..

Have a great time :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Go....although I always list MK as my favorite park if I were to go solo I would hit Epcot...its the one place I would love to take at my own pace and just look and explore leisurely snacking where I want, stopping and shopping when I want , World Showcase in particular.

DisneyorBust
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
I agree with your family sentiments, much of my own joy comes from watching my family enjoy their time in WDW.
If the opportunity would present itself, I would head to WDW alone. I'm sure it would be bittersweet, but I believe that we all should take some time for ourselves and what better location than at Disney World!
As far as the parks were concerned, I would head to Epcot, so much to see and enjoy.

JPL
03-01-2012, 11:09 AM
My Favorite solo park is AK :thumbsup: I just wander around and take the time to enjoy the little details and watch the animals. I could spend a few hours on the animals trails alone without worrying about anyone rushing me because they was to ride Everest.

artyboy
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
GO!!!

I've done all of the parks solo at least once...Epcot and AK are my favorites. When I'm with a group or with family, I never seem to have the time to really explore the details.

I also picked up a book about the hidden Mickeys and spent an afternoon trying to find them...that was a fun and different day!

ginny57
03-01-2012, 12:35 PM
I've done MK and AK solo...and loved it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

floridamom
03-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I kinda knew that I wasn't going to get a negative response here on Intercot. ;) But it's nice to know I'm not the only only who has gone solo or would do so. I'm pretty sure DH will think I'm nuts, and if the kids find out they will be offended I went without them. Oh well!

bleukarma
03-01-2012, 03:58 PM
I have found myself going solo lately. I guy I was dating had a pass so I bought one too (not that I needed much urging to buy one!). We didn't work out and none of my friends are Disney people. I don't want the pass to go to waste so I've gone by myself a few times. At first I was timid about it, now I kind of like it. Everybody else is right...you can do what you want, when you want to. You don't have to worry about what other people want to do or want to eat. One of my best days was me just wondering around the parks. I think I only went on one ride. Go...you'll enjoy it!

Terra
03-02-2012, 07:32 AM
I've gone solo before and after my kiddos came along too. I adore going solo because I can take my time to eat a meal. People watch. Do/see/ride attractions that my kiddos can't or won't.

I agree about the shopping/browsing. Not that I buy a lot, but I can look at every little thing without trying to stop little hands from grabbing.

I admit though I do miss my boys while I'm there but it's a different kind of fun and I get to truly relax and let my gaurd down, even have a couple of drinks.

Go, have fun, and report back! ;)

Katzateer
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
You will have fun-wouldn't miss going alone. You can move at your own pace and there are always lots of friendly people to talk to.

I have been on a few solo trips and while a difference experience I still had a great time.

LudwigVonDrake
03-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I'd go to the Magic Kingdom :wave:

Melanie
03-02-2012, 08:56 PM
I go by myself very often and love it. I don't think you'll regret it. Go and have fun!

mdricks
03-02-2012, 09:13 PM
A little late to the party on this one but definitely go! I have been a few times on weekend solo trips and the secret to the "it’s not fun the fams not here" is to do those things the family doesn’t or hasn’t done.

For that reason I usually don’t go to MK. My kids don’t care for the mellow stuff so Epcot World Showcase or the shows (or the Rose & Crown sittin at the bar!!!) are usually how I spend my solo days.

:number1: