PDA

View Full Version : Solo Adults in Parks??

tigz9299
02-29-2012, 03:14 AM
:mickey: OK... I need a straight answer from anybody on here...I am a 55 y/o m..married ..grown son..my wife is not a fan of going to the parks any more ,except for the CP or MVMVP,and MNSSHP...but, I ,on the other hand,LOVE the entire Disney experience,and every Christmas for the past 5 or 6 years,I have gotten a 2 or 3 night stay to go on my own....she always busts my chops about going,so I wanted some honest opinions about this...I have been going to Disney since 1972, and just love the total picture.I stay at POP for 2 or 3 nights,usually twice a year..go to the parks,eat what I want,ride the monorail,and just generally take in the ambiance of the greatest place on Earth..we have been to Paris twice,but I love WDW more than anything on Earth..weird ,or what? I appreciate everybody's input...PS..I am driving over from Palm Harbor on Thursday for 3 nights,courtesy of my wife and mother-in-law..Merry Christmas to me!!!!!:party:

Cinderelley
02-29-2012, 04:09 AM
I love spending time by myself in the parks. I think you have the right idea - as long as you get some "couple" time with your wife doing things you both like when you are at home. :number1:

disneykidsince1970
02-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Fully agree.

I believe that everyone needs the ability to do what brings them happiness. It is great that your wife supports this (assuming "busting your chops" is a bit tongue in cheek in here) and even helps you get your Disney fix!

DO IT.

ENJOY IT.

NO GUILT.

RECIPROCATE with your wife.

:) Be nice to your wife before and after.

Goofeygal
02-29-2012, 07:38 AM
I have done one solo trip and would do another in a heartbeat. I am happily married but it is great to go and do what YOU want in the parks as well.

Scar
02-29-2012, 07:54 AM
I've been to WDW 4 times in the last 2 1/2 years by myself and loved it each time. Can't wait to go back. I have a good friend that lives in the area that I always see at least one day. I'll be honest; sometimes I would prefer company, especially for meals, but I don't let it get me down. A good way to enjoy meals alone is to eat at the bar and talk to the bartender or someone sitting next to you. Even when I used to go with my wife, she prefered to sleep late and and sit by the pool in the mornings and she didn't like thrill rides so I would usually hit the parks early by myself and not meet her until lunch. Have a great trip

grumpyguy
02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Awesome for you ! I would do a solo trip in a heartbeat if ever the chance arose:thumbsup:

JPL
02-29-2012, 09:48 AM
I take lots of solo trips to the World and enjoy every single one of them :thumbsup: I do what I want when I want which is awesome. Sure it's fun being there with friends and family but nothing beats a nice solo trip :mickey:

Dopey's Girl
02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
I love my solo trips, and can't wait for an entire week in October! It's so much fun to just do what you want, when you want. I say if you can go, you should enjoy it!

Faver
02-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Tigz9299, i wanna be just like you when i grow up! :thumbsup:

I too, am married, and my DH doesn't want to go to Disney anymore:confused: I don't get it!

Have loads of fun:mickey:

phillydan
02-29-2012, 01:07 PM
I did my first solo trip last year when I was in Orlando for a conference. I must say that I really enjoyed it, but I also missed having the family with me, especially when I was on one of their favorite rides. It was nice interacting with other familes and sharing the ride with them (hopefully, then didn't think I was too creepy). Also, the freedom and flexibility of just jumping on an available ride or grabbing counter service without having a committee discussion was a nice change.

I was able to hit DHS, AK, & MK in one looonng day, which would never happen with the family in tow. I saved Epcot for an EMH evening on a different day, but I am sure I could have hit that one on the same day as well.

I would definitely do it again, as it was a new way to experience the park on my terms.

One side note...I found myself texting updates to everyone throughout the day and then I called them when having a meal. Not sure if they liked that or were annoyed. :D

Too bad the conference wasn't as exciting..lol.

JPL
02-29-2012, 01:38 PM
I must say that I really enjoyed it, but I also missed having the family with me, especially when I was on one of their favorite rides.

Ah but this is where text messages, Twitter, and Facebook come into to play :thedolls: Nothing like rubbing it in to those who are not with you :thumbsup:

LVT
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I think it is great. I usually get 1afternoon to myself and it could be longer.

WDWgoofy
02-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey it's your life - live it!

I'm a 54 yo married, father of two 20-something daughters.

As a family we did WDW vacations 9 times over k-12 school years. Since then I have on 3 occasions, while on business trips to Orlando, enjoyed fun solo trips to WDW.

No one in my family says anything other than they wish they were with me.

But they know I a WDW fanatic.

Have a great time

SandmanGStefani24
02-29-2012, 11:51 PM
more than one solo trip for me as well!

Nothing better than going at your own pace. The mrs doesn't share the love that I do for WDW so she lets me go solo when needed. I always meet great people when I go, but also do lots of people watching when I go. It's always amazing. I also enjoy sitting at the bar at the resorts because random people always start up conversations. It's a great way to end the day.

jennsky
03-02-2012, 09:36 PM
I dream about the day I will be able to take a solo trip once my kids are all grown up! The closest thing I'll have to it for awhile will be going "child-free" with my sister to ICOT15 this October! :number1:

Crow
03-02-2012, 11:18 PM
go for it..
Ive been to WDW w family first when i was younger,
then i was w first wife, second wife,in between solo sometimes a friend would meet me. then met third wife while solo (shes working there again).then i went solo, then i went twice so far w gf...
i did feel uncomfortable sometimes alone, but also had the freedom to go where i wanted, drink what i wanted and eat what i wanted when i wanted.
have a good time

kcrc
03-03-2012, 10:09 AM
So jealous! Would love to be able to give this a try! My work was trying to schedule training somewhere, and I kept pushing for Orlando, so that I COULD sneak in a couple solo days at the world. :blush: Unfortunately, I lost, and the training is in Atlanta... :( As much as I love when my family is there with me, it would be nice to give it a shot!!!

TikiGoddess
03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
I've been on three solo trips so far.

1. When my two girls were little (3 and 6 mos) -- I did a long weekend at WDW by myself and it was AWESOME. The girls didn't know where I was and they all survived without me.

2. ICOT10 (Oct 07) -- had a blast hanging out with everyone. Meets are a great way to do a solo trip but still have people to talk to.

3. Reunion 2010 (WDW Today) -- another meets trip. It was nonstop fun, but I felt more guilty going by myself, as the girls were 6 and 8 at the time and KNEW where I was.

Now I'm hoping to do a solo trip for the ICOT15... but I know I'll miss having my girls with me. I keep telling myself that they get plenty of time in the parks (we go every summer) and that I am allowed to have adult time to myself!

Kathy

LudwigVonDrake
03-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I've done several solo trips and while it can get a little lonely at times I really prefer doing what I want when I want.

Enjoy!! :mickey:

ThanxForNoticin
03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
There are so many amazing ways to enjoy Disney, and doing some solo time is one that I certainly enjoy. I don't think I want to do it all the time, but every now and then a day or two to just leisurely enjoy it alone is very nice for me. I do some attractions, I do a lot of walking, and I do more people watching. I also love taking pictures, which sometimes I don't get to do when I'm with a group. I also enjoy taking pictures for others - you know the people who have a group, but someone always has to take the picture?!! We have lots of great memories in our own pictures. Sometimes helping someone else with a keepsake is a nice way to spend a minute or 2!

So I'm with most of the other posters here - enjoy yourself for a couple days!!

kcrc
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
You know... ever since I saw this thread... I keep thinking about how cool it would be to take a solo trip. How can I get my family to offer one up to me? I can't just tell them that I want to go without them... Just once anyway... just to try it out!

King Triton
03-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I did my first solo trip several years ago when I tagged on a weekend after a conference at Disney (at the Dolphin). Back then airfares were less expensive if you stayed over a Saturday night, so my company was happy to pay for me to stay a couple of extra nights (I think I may have paid for the car, but I don't recall).

I enjoyed it so much, its pretty much become an annual thing. I'm pretty much in the same situation as you... 53/M with a family at home. While I love the family vacations, the solo trips have a dynamic that makes them totally different, yet very enjoyable. Now I try to take the solo trips during baseball's spring training and I take in a couple games at WWS while I'm there. Next trip: a week from Saturday.

Scar
03-08-2012, 10:42 PM
How can I get my family to offer one up to me? I can't just tell them that I want to go without them... Just go without telling them. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

Cinderelley
03-10-2012, 02:48 AM
Just go without telling them. It's always easier to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission.

:laughing:

MrPeetrie
03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Tigz9299, if your wife doesn't have a problem with it (and it appears she doesn't), then I don't see anything wrong with it. More power to you.

Thankfully for me, my wife loves WDW as much as I. Kids, too. Unfortunately for her, I'm an early riser and she's not. On occasion, I'll get up early and head to a park by myself first thing in the morning. Then i'll rejoin them at the pool or something. (I hate to sleep away my vacation.)

As for you, enjoy your alone-time. No hassling over where to eat next or what next to ride. Have fun!

Mrs Bus Driver
03-12-2012, 10:37 AM
Would love to do this one day, don't think DD will let me. If she finds out, will insist on going. She sleeps late so guess I will have to settle for sneaking out of the room in the morning.:thedolls::secret:

dizneydeb22
03-12-2012, 10:49 AM
I hope you decide to go for it! I won't be able to take mine for about 2 years, but I am patiently planning! You seem to be fortunate to have a supportive spouse, as do I!
I hope you decide to go for it!:mickey:

Fastpasssteve
03-17-2012, 04:40 AM
Even when I go down with a group, there are times when I need to go off by myself. It's not that I dislike my travelling companions, but every once in a while, you need to do your own thing.

I am sorry someone who is so important to you (your wife) does not share your love of
WDW. But, if taking these solitary pilgrimages recharges your batteries and is life-giving for you, then she should be glad the place exists. Without these trips, what would you be like?...and what would be left of you for her?

Don't let others steal your joy. Whether she knows it or not, she benefits from the joy you get at WDW. :magic: