PDA

View Full Version : Beware of Yak & Yeti !!

slpngbty56
02-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Hello All,
We just returned from our trip to WDW this weekend. On a whim we decided to try Yak & Yeti.
This restaurant is named appropriately..... YAK!!! This is the absolute worst meal I have ever had on property. :sick: The food was terrible, and my husband got sick after he ate his curry. While I hate to be pessimistic, the food was completely over priced. The only thing that was remotely good were the pork egg rolls & I could've gotten those at the quick service window had I known what I'd be getting into. There were 6 in our party and the only one person enjoyed their meal.
I don't mind paying big $$$ when the food is good, but to spend $200 and leave unhappy is very disapointing. So for all of you out there that may be considering dining at this restaurant, BEWARE!!!
I can safely say that none of us will ever visit that establishment again.

DizneyRox
02-28-2012, 07:14 PM
I found it acceptable, however like all Landry's restaurants, overpriced.

ElenitaB
02-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Wow... sorry you had such a bad experience there.

We've eaten there twice and while it's not the best Asian food I've had in my life, it wasn't all that bad either. Their desserts were pretty darn good. I'm not a fan of the CS location though.

badkitty
02-28-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. I've enjoyed every visit so far and I don't find the price higher than other TS in the parks.

JPL
02-28-2012, 08:30 PM
I have eaten there several times and thought it was good. Never had a bad experience there. I found the price comprable to other food around the resort so really didn't think it was over priced. Of course that being said anyone can have a bad experience in any restaurant. I got violenty ill after eating at Ohana one time and haven't been back since while other people rave about the food there.

SBETigg
02-28-2012, 10:49 PM
I don't find it to be one of the best at WDW, but I don't think it's all that bad. For you, apparently, it was, and I'm sorry you had a bad experience. But, I think a lot of people will feel differently on this. I found it on par with most chain restaurants of the sort, and maybe a little better than some.

Disney4us2
02-29-2012, 01:28 AM
I am sorry you had a bad experience there. Maybe it was an off day there. Everyone's dining experiences are so different and subjective. What some love others dislike. Glad that there are so many other choices for your next visit.

Y&Y is one of our favorites. I have been there 3 times and have had great meals each time. I actually crave the wonton dessert:blush:.

btharvey
02-29-2012, 07:29 AM
While we didn't "rave" about the food, it was not bad when we were there, and the prices were about as expected, whether Landry or not. However, it was hot and humid, we'd just finished the Kali River Rapids, and the Air Conditioning was on full, with two vents blowing on our table. We asked, but no other tables were available.

I guess everyone has a reason to not return.

Scar
02-29-2012, 08:09 AM
Ate there once and I agree with most... It was just OK. I'd give it another try but in no hurry.

TheDuckRocks
02-29-2012, 08:40 AM
We have eaten at Y&Y 4 times so far and have not been unhappy and feel the prices are standard Disney. I do understand a bad experience at a Disney restaurant though, I have had 2, once at Le Cellier and the other one was at Kouzzina.

jillluvsdisney
02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
Wow. I have had 2 meals there and both were delicious. Our server in November was fantastic.

tjstrike
02-29-2012, 06:29 PM
I agree with the curve, as most of us have had bad experiences at a restaurant before, I myself had a lousy meal at the 50's prime time but wouldn't say it's a bad place to eat. Just not my style. We've at at the Yak twice and enjoyed it both times.

darthmacho
02-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Sorry about your bad experience. Prices aside, I have to say that I loved Yak and Yeti so much that I put it on the top of my do again list for this year's trip. We had great food, great service, and loved the atmosphere. Goes to show that every person's experience is unique.

Fangorn
02-29-2012, 07:58 PM
I, too, am sorry you had a bad experience. We ate there for the first time last month and thoroughly enjoyed the food and the service. I had the Mahi Mahi and DW had the duck. Both were excellent. Our service was top shelf.

Y&Y is definitely in the top tier of our list.

Steve

MinnieMommie
03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
So sorry you had such a bad meal. Sounds dreadful! We've been fine with Yak and Yeti when we have eaten there but I can understand your not wanting to go back.

olivegirl
03-01-2012, 04:50 PM
WOW we have eaten there 6 times ..the most recent in August and we love the food! Never have we had a bad meal!!! The service was great! We plan on eating there in April!! This is def one of our favs!!!:thumbsup:

AllDisney
03-01-2012, 05:41 PM
We like it. It's not our favorite, but we do go back there from time to time:mickey:

Food is acceptable. Service is pretty good and we like eating in the park:thumbsup:

ThanxForNoticin
03-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Sorry about your bad experience. We've eaten there many, many times (10 or more), and we've had nothing but very good experiences. It's a place we seek out most trips because of the good food. Fortunately, there are lots of options available if Y&Y is not for you.

TheVBs
03-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Really sorry you had a bad meal there. We've never tried this restaurant. We're thinking of trying it on the next trip, but might try something from the counter service first, just to get an idea. Thanks for sharing your experience!

mgmnut
03-02-2012, 04:41 PM
might try something from the counter service first, just to get an idea.

We had the CS last trip and thought it was great. We enjoyed it so much we wanted to give the TS a try this next trip.

Gusgus
03-03-2012, 09:39 AM
We have eaten there about 8 times and never had a bad meal. Maybe you hit them on a "bad day" or it's just not your thing. There is an italian resturant up the road from us I hate it as does my wife. We think Olive garden is better then this place. However the place is always packed and my brother and sister like it.

Gusgus

TheVBs
03-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Really sorry you had a bad meal there. We've never tried this restaurant. We're thinking of trying it on the next trip, but might try something from the counter service first, just to get an idea. Thanks for sharing your experience!

We had the CS last trip and thought it was great. We enjoyed it so much we wanted to give the TS a try this next trip.

Good to know! Thanks! :mickey:

Pop Centurion
03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Sorry for your bad experience.

We ate there twice & I enjoyed it both times. My wife thought it was just okay. We plan on going back next trip.

MadMadamMim
03-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree with a lot of the previous posters that while it was not the most amazing meal I've had in my life I enjoyed it the two times I ate there and would welcome another experience.

buzznwoodysmom
03-06-2012, 12:22 PM
We have eaten here several times and have never had a bad meal. We've had great food, and some of the best service.

#1donaldfan
03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Wow, we've eaten there 3 or 4 times and each time was perfect !!! Sorry you had a bad experience !! :ill:

Katzateer
03-06-2012, 07:56 PM
I actually crave the wonton dessert:blush:.

I loved that dessert but didn't enjoy the entree the one time we have gone there. Thought it was overpriced for what we got. Didn't realize it was owned by the Landrys chain.

MarkC
03-06-2012, 09:21 PM
We loved it as well. And sorry your husband got sick but there were some people who got sick on our Disney cruise last month and were trying to blame the Norwalk virus. However, if you have 2500 people on a ship in February its understandable some of them are going to get the flu. The percentage was no worse than in our office at that time of year. I'm guessing your husband just had a quick bout of it. Having handled food poisoning claims for an insurance company, you wouldn't believe how many times people would claim food poisoning and when we got the medical records it was just a touch of the flu.

PinKy
04-15-2012, 01:45 PM
So sorry for your bad experience!

Every restaurant isn't for everyone I guess. I really enjoy Y&Y. We usually go there once per trip. Their fried green beans and wonton cheesecake Re delish!

DonaldDuckUSA
04-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Aw! You post made me sad! I'm sorry you had a terrible experience.

bshaw96
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
Awwww...that stinks. We had a similar experience many years ago at Chef Mickey's. 3 of 4 of us got VIOLENTLY ill within 24 hours. I'm not gonna say food poisioning, though I think it was a pretty safe bet. Nevertheless, we now associate Chef Mickey's with hugging the toilet and can't bring ourselves to go back....and it's been 8 years or so. :sick:

Airblue1
04-15-2012, 08:21 PM
WOW!!
I am truly sorry to hear about your experience. We have eaten their a couple of times and truly enjoyed it. YIKES:mad:

Fastpasssteve
04-15-2012, 08:47 PM
I have had three good meals there. I really enjoyed the pot stickers, the pork eggrolls, the crispy mahi-mahi, the lo mein, the crispy honey chicken, and those fried sweet wantons.

I didn't find the Yak & Yeti any higher priced than other restaurants in a resort tourist destination.

Princess'Mom
04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
I, too, am sorry the OP had a bad experience. My family loves the Y&Y. The food is good, but the atmosphere is what draws us back each time. We were seated upstairs and enjoyed our birds-eye view. We got to people watch airconditioned comfort.

We have planned two more ADRs for the next trip!

Bethanymouse
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I can feel your pain! We ate there a few years ago and our lo mein meal tasted like dishwater. It was terrible. We havent been back since. We contemplated giving it a second chance at some point, but I still am not so sure. I was that disappointed.....

SurferStitch
04-18-2012, 12:19 PM
It's too bad you didn't enjoy your experience there.

DH and I have eaten there several times, and enjoyed it very much. The crispy Mahi is excellent.... large portion with a delicious red pepper sauce.... :cloud9:. A cold beer on a hot day really tops off the meal nicely!

I agree about the wonton dessert... wonderful!

We've always had very nice servers who were attentive and friendly. It's been a little over a year since we've eaten there, so I'm looking forward to visiting again.

#1donaldfan
04-18-2012, 12:29 PM
I love Yak n Yeti, others not so much....not everyone can like it.....for me San Angel Inn in EC was horrible, terrible, never go back in a zillion years, but others love it !! Sorry your time was bad......I love the atmosphere !! :cool:

Tigerinvestigator
04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Yak and Yeti is one of our favorite places at WDW to eat. The Crispy Mahi Mahi with the Cantonese sauce is one of my favorite dishes at WDW. Our kids love the food as well and we have never had a bad experience there. Bad meals happen from time to time. Sounds like it happened to you, but don't think anyone should beware of the yak and yeti........ok maybe beware the yeti!lol

Quadstriker
04-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Yak and Yeti is the perfect analogy for Animal Kingdom as a whole.

It's okay, but not rushing to go back.

AdventurerKim
04-22-2012, 04:37 PM
We have eaten there 3 times and the food was great all 3 times. That wanton dessert is so awesome! The service last time at Easter a two weeks ago was not good at all, but we will return. I agree that prices are typical Disney.

steamboat willy
04-22-2012, 05:46 PM
We have eaten at BOTH the inside Table Service and the outside Counter Service, both a year apart and both on the Dining Plan. First was TS, DW had the Crispy Honey Chicken and I had Fish. For dessert I had the ol my gosh MANGO PIE and DW had the Trio of Sherberts ( I got her Mango Sherbert cause she preferred to other two. We liked it so much we returned another day for a TS lunch while at Animal Kingdom. Yes Mango Pie again!
Last years visit, DW, DGS and myself ate Counter Service at Y & Y and had both the Honey Chicken and the Sweet and Sour Chicken. It was also really, really good. Worst Part......NO Mango Pie at the CS.
We are now planning a Christmas Trip, early December and Yak and Yati and Mango Pie will all be on our list.

Steamboat Willy and Crew