PDA

View Full Version : Booked our Auto Train Passage!

CanadianWDWFan
02-26-2012, 05:54 PM
We are die-hard:car: drive to Florida folks, but we have been thinking about taking the train :train: down and having our car with us once we arrive. We have looked at Amtrak's Auto Train for over a year now and were planning on using it last year but backed out for no real reason.

This weekend we booked passage for our annual summer trip to WDW. We decided on getting a couple of rooms for the four us instead of coach seating. Everyone is really excited about this new way, for us, to get down to the Orlando area! Sure we have a bit of a drive to get to Lorton Va, but for us driving is always part of our trip.

Anyone else have stories to share about their experiences on the Auto Train?

Dopey's Girl
02-26-2012, 06:27 PM
I've never done the auto train, so I have no input there, but wanted to say congrats on booking! That sounds like a lot of fun!

BrerGnat
02-26-2012, 06:35 PM
We looked into it (we live VERY close to Lorton, VA), but it was just SO expensive. :confused: One sleeper room for the 4 of us would have cost over $900 for the round trip.

In contrast, we got our round trip plane tickets for under $800 on Jet Blue, so it was a no brainer.

Please let us know how you like it. My kids love trains, and I actually hate them, but would tolerate it if we could actually find a good deal on the Auto Train in the future.

faline
02-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Sounds like a fun adventure in travel!

Urbss
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
I LOVE THE AUTO TRAIN!!

We only have a 3.5 hour drive from Central Pennsylvania to Lorton VA, and we've driven straight through to Orlando in 16.5 hours, but you can't beat the Auto Train!!

Don't expect luxury. But, keep an open mind and just have fun!!

The AT is a great way to travel (better than the usual Amtrak trains - much different clientel).

If you are in the sleeping cars, make sure you go to the reception in the lounge car after you board and get settled in. They have free wine and snacks at the reception.

Be sure to mingle. You will meet so many very unique people riding the train for many different reasons.

Also, the food is usually first class, especially for those who spend a little extra for the rooms/roomettes. I'll be traveling coach for the first time this coming fall and heard the food is still really good, but not quite what you get if you spend the extra money.

If you only want to ride the AT one way, I would suggest doing it on the way home. We once thought that we would do the train on the way down so we would be more rested when we got there (which was true), but then the next year we only went home via the AT and it was so much better. I think the reason was that when we went down on the train, and then had that long drive home, we were so depressed having to leave WDW. But, when we drove down and then took the train back north, we actually added more towards our adventure at the end of our trip and it made it much easier to leave WDW behind (if that is possible.)

Anyway, my family has been on the AT many times and athough I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any means, I would gladly give any advice or try to answer any specific questions you have.

Have a great time and remember to get to know your attendant and tip that person appropriately!!

Oh yeah, and I've done the comparisons. For us, riding the AT is actually cheaper than flying when we really add up every little cost. It might be cheaper to drive (depending on how you do things) but the AT is really the coolest way to go!!

Tom

CanadianWDWFan
02-27-2012, 07:26 AM
We really wanted to try a different way to travel to Disney. We have a 10 hour drive to the train from Toronto and the route does take us off our usual path. but again taking the train is part of our vacation adventure.

As for cost, right now it works out to be about even if we chose to fly. Flights from Toronto and Buffalo right now are really quite high. Plus we don't have the added cost of renting a car while in Orlando. It is not really cheaper than driving but will save gas and our car from the extra wear and tear of the 800 mile trip. Since we opted for two rooms the cost is higher than if we decided to just go "coach". We really never have done any travel like this and are really excited to be taking the train.

Katzateer
02-27-2012, 08:11 AM
We are thinking of doing this in October glad to see a discussion of this!

I love AMTRAK!

c&d
02-27-2012, 09:11 AM
I love the Auto Train, we'll be back on it in 46 days. I love sitting in the dining car watching traffic stuck on 95 south. At night sitting in our room just watching the scenery go by is so relaxing.

The only bad part is our car has always been almost the last one off the train. There's usually about 5 others waiting when they finally call our number.

diz_girl
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
We took the Auto Train (w/family bedroom) for our November trip and I'd definitely do it again for our next trip. There are a couple of things to keep in mind.

There are three seatings for dinner and reservations are first-come first-served at check-in. So my parents (who rode in coach) got there when they opened (at 10:30 a.m.) and got the early seating that they wanted. They also had to sit in a train station for four hours before boarding. But the station is bright and airy, and quite pleasant. We arrived at 2 p.m. and only the 9 p.m. seating was left for dinner. With two young children (DS4 and DS1), a 9 p.m. seating was dificult, but our porter offered to bring us our dinner at 7 p.m. (and we tipped appropriately for the extra service), so maybe your porter would do the same for you if you're stuck with an unfavorable dinner seating.

Also, since my parents got there so early, their car was one of the first to be loaded. It was also one of the last to be unloaded. Since we arrived later, our car was unloaded relatively quickly, but we had to wait around for my parents to get their car. We actually took two cars, because they were heading home a day earlier and we couldn't fit six people and all of the luggage in one car. They don't allow luggage carriers on top of the cars, so we needed to fit all of our luggage inside the car. Also, I think that there is a small playground outside the station for kids. There is also a small convenience store for snacks, prepackaged sandwiches, and coffee/tea.

As for the cost, it cost us $600 for one-way and we only did one way, on the ride down. If we had to do only one way, it was good to do the ride down, because our return home was more flexible. The return trip would have cost an additional $1200, so that was too pricey for us. So the pp who had a $900 round trip price for a sleeper room got a bargain, since the price also includes two meals and transporting the car. If I would have been quoted $900 round trip, I would have done it round-trip.

Since it cost $600 for the four of us in our car, I'd say that it was a travel bargain. For $600 we got transportation for four people to FL, transportation for our car to FL, overnight accommodations, and dinner and breakfast. We would have spent more on gas driving the car to FL than what Amtrak charged us.

Also, a pp mentioned it costing $900 round trip Auto Train versus $800 to fly. The way I see it is once you factor in the car transportation (included in Auto Train) versus renting a car (not included in the $800 air fare), the Auto Train can be a bargain at times versus flying. It depends on the day of the week and time of year that you're taking the train. Plus, the experience of the train is really neat. Kids love it and most adults do too. I liked watching the scenery go by. Dinner was good. We didn't watch the movie, since we put the baby to sleep around the time that the movie ran.

The rooms are smaller than how they seem in the pictures on the Website, but I'm also a little claustrophobic. But I got used to it pretty quick and was comfortable with the room size by dinnertime.

The only drawback was that after we got off the train, for the rest of the day, I still felt like I was riding the train. I get that when I ride elevators too, so it's not isolated to the train and probably isn't something the average person has to worry about.

Just remember, you will be riding a very unique train. The Auto Train is the longest passenger train in the world.

JROriole8Fan
02-27-2012, 11:22 AM
We tried it twice and would never do it again. We live about an hour north of Lorton and drive R/T 5-6 times a year. Both trips added at least 3-4 hours to the length of the trip. The cost was significantly more. And that is not getting a sleeper, and we didn't get much sleep. Never ever again. One trip was so bad time wise they refunded our money and gave us a free one-way trip in the future. Others may disagree, but you asked.

Mickey'sGirl
02-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I really appreciate the comments!

We are not doing the train as an efficiency of any kind. It will take us longer to get down to Florida than it usually does, and it is costing us over $1000 ONE WAY to get the adjoining sleeper rooms. So we fully understand this aspect going into it. Aside from not wanting to spend that again for the return trip, we like to leave our departure flexible, as a previous poster indicated. Sometimes we leave in the morning, sometimes we stay an extra day, sometimes we leave after lunch. We like that flexibility at the end of our journey.

JROriole8Fan, we got the sleepers because of my fears of having a trip just like yours. I am so sorry that it was not a good time for you.

This trip is all about the experience. Taking it easy and riding down in a whole new way. I really appreciate your comments regarding the car boarding and deboarding, diz_girl. I imagine we'll be early to arrive at Lorton, so we will likely have waits at either end of our journey. That's cool though. We're used to international travel, where hurry up and wait is the rule!

CanadianWDWFan
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
We tried it twice and would never do it again. We live about an hour north of Lorton and drive R/T 5-6 times a year. Both trips added at least 3-4 hours to the length of the trip. The cost was significantly more. And that is not getting a sleeper, and we didn't get much sleep. Never ever again. One trip was so bad time wise they refunded our money and gave us a free one-way trip in the future. Others may disagree, but you asked.
We know that the train ride is longer than what our drive would be, same goes for the cost. We want to experience train travel and this seems the best way to do it.

How long were you delayed? BTW thanks for posting.

JROriole8Fan
02-27-2012, 11:46 AM
In addition to the extra 3-4 hours (arriving before it departs, loading and unlaoding your car), we were delayed another 4 hours. There were rains that you eaisly drive through, but the trains can hardly move during them (saftey laws). I woke up and looked out the window and literally saw cows passing the train! Here's hoping you enjoy your experience!

CanadianWDWFan
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
I woke up and looked out the window and literally saw cows passing the train! Here's hoping you enjoy your experience!
:rotfl: Nothing like getting passed by a bunch of slowpoke cows!

diz_girl
02-28-2012, 10:21 AM
CanadianWDWFan & Mickey'sGirl -

I probably should have noticed this some time ago, but are the two of you married? If so, that's really sweet that both of you are Intercottees.

Katzateer
02-28-2012, 11:41 AM
My husband had brought up the idea of the auto train for our October trip. After checking the prices, WOW! It is much cheaper for us to fly. Even if we decided to rent a car it will be cheaper to fly.

CanadianWDWFan
02-28-2012, 08:19 PM
CanadianWDWFan & Mickey'sGirl -

I probably should have noticed this some time ago, but are the two of you married? If so, that's really sweet that both of you are Intercottees.
To quote Phineas, Yes, yes we are.:D

My husband had brought up the idea of the auto train for our October trip. After checking the prices, WOW! It is much cheaper for us to fly. Even if we decided to rent a car it will be cheaper to fly.
Not if you are flying from Canada!!

We realize that this is not necessarily a cheaper or even quicker way to go, just a different way for us to get down to the magic. You can do the Auto Train round trip for about $1000 return, it is when you get private sleeping accommodations that it gets expensive quick.

BrerGnat
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
You can do the Auto Train round trip for about $1000 return, it is when you get private sleeping accommodations that it gets expensive quick.

Yep. We could have gotten down there and back for a few hundred in coach. But, who in their right mind wants to spend 12+ hours in a coach seat?

I'll look forward to your trip report because DH thinks the auto train is a great idea. Although, I know that once we get down to FL, I'll be the one doing all the driving. :rolleyes:

CanadianWDWFan
03-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Yep. We could have gotten down there and back for a few hundred in coach. But, who in their right mind wants to spend 12+ hours in a coach seat?
Actually it isn't a "coach" seat. The seats are close to aircraft business class seating. There is lots of leg room, they are wide and recline pretty far. The seats are setup as an aisle and a window seat together. You will have plenty of room to stretch out and relax.

There are are lots of postings on the internet about folks travelling on the Auto Train. What I have enjoyed checking out is the videos people post of their experiences.

As for sitting in the seat for 12 hours isn't really the case as there is a lounge that serves snacks and drinks as well as tables to set up games and stuff. You are free to move up and around the train as you need to. This seems to be a pretty good alternative for folks that might have issues with the long drive and/or flying down.

As I stated before, this is a mode of transportation that we haven't tried before. We are excited to try something new.

BrerGnat
03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Well, we might be living here for another few years. Maybe one time, we'll take the auto train down. My kids are itching to visit Legoland, but we'd need a car to do that. Plus, my parents are planning to retire to the Tampa area in 2 years, so it looks like a few trips down to FL are in the cards.

I am just scared of trains, that's the truth. It seems like anytime I talk about them, one derails somewhere. It's a curse. :thedolls: My boys LOVE them, though. That's ASD for you...