PDA

View Full Version : Hamburgers.......??

olivegirl
02-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Can anyone tell me if the burgers served at Disney contains "pink slime" ? I am concerned as I recently became aware that all ground beef has this slime in it unless it is organic beef. Scraps of meat is treated with AMMONIA to retard spoilage. This process actually looks like pink slime! I was mortified to find this info out!!! :(

GAN
02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
There probably is, but by the time they get done cooking them there pretty much is no pink to be found.

CuteAsMinnie
02-26-2012, 06:16 PM
1) I hope you are kidding.
2) WDW does not use organic beef, I'm sure.
3) Now I must google 'pink slime.'. :(

:mickey:

BrerGnat
02-26-2012, 06:17 PM
They probably do, but honestly, it's no worse than the process for "preserving" any of the meat you will find on property. You should read about what they do in chicken processing plants (and I am talking about whole chicken here, not "nuggets").

Disney World is not the place to assume you will be getting organic, locally raised stuff.

Most of the burgers on property are frozen patties, from a distributor. You probably won't be able to find out who their distributor is, so we'll never know.

You might find some "made in house ground beef" burgers at some of the TS restaurants, but it's not too likely.

Also, the pink slime is not just beef trimmings treated with ammonia like you buy at the store. It's a process of changing the pH of the beef to kill e.coli and salmonella bacteria. It's a filler and a preservative. I agree it's kinda gross, but you've been eating a LOT of it already if you ever eat fast food burgers.

Kairi_7378
02-26-2012, 07:26 PM
I agree with Natalie's statement, expecially these sentences:

Disney World is not the place to assume you will be getting organic, locally raised stuff.

Most of the burgers on property are frozen patties, from a distributor. You probably won't be able to find out who their distributor is, so we'll never know.

You might find some "made in house ground beef" burgers at some of the TS restaurants, but it's not too likely.

The one time I have eaten a burger at WDW it was a frozen patty. I was mentally kicking myself for wasting a CS credit, especially since it was silly to expect anything other than a frozen patty at a place that probably serves thousands of burgers a day!

disneynarula
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
ur\I would guess that at a CS you are probably getting slime, same goes for the chicken nuggets.

If you are really concerned just find a healthier option. Something that looks like it is in its original form.

LOL! We had a huge family fight on our last trip about using CS credits for burgers and fries. They all want to eat at the Electic Umbrella. It wasn't until the next day I finally convinced everyone to walk to World Showcase to use our credits.

MOJoe
02-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but i'm just wondering if the burgers at Beaches N Cream are different. Burgers at every other CS place seem the same to me. But the ones at the BC seem much better. Better grade of beef? Better preparation? Not sure, but if i was concerned about beef quality, i would eat there.

BrerGnat
02-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Not to hijack the thread, but i'm just wondering if the burgers at Beaches N Cream are different. Burgers at every other CS place seem the same to me. But the ones at the BC seem much better. Better grade of beef? Better preparation? Not sure, but if i was concerned about beef quality, i would eat there.

I think they are different. I have had them several times (from B&C and Hurricane Hannah's, which serves the same burger). I agree they are WAY better than the standard CS burgers in the parks. I tend to think they are, at the very least, fresh ground beef, not frozen patties. Maybe they have pink slime in them, but boy are they good!

DisneyDog
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
I've only heard about this at McDonalds. I didn't realize other places were doing this too. Yuck.

HackLaSalle
02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
The Wave has fresh and mostly organic foods.

Quadstriker
02-28-2012, 01:05 PM
As has been pointed out on the podcast, it's not like you're going to enjoy the burger anyway, pink slime or not. Pick something else.

joonyer
02-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Well, don't even ask about hot dogs. You don't want to know.

You know the old adage about laws and sausages: You don't want to see either of them being made.

Well, it applies to hamburgers, too. In fact, the same applies to most pre-prepared food items.

By the way I love sausage and hot dogs. I just try not to think about it.