PDA

View Full Version : California Grill or Ohana?

Alpha Jeanie
02-24-2012, 07:37 AM
We have been to Ohana several times and love it. I am having trouble getting an ADR at a time that works for us for Ohana. We want to go there the day we are at Magic Kingdom, but dont want to miss the 9:00 parade or fireworks.

We are considering going to the California Grill. Since we have never been there before, I would like your opinion on which you would choose....Ohana at an inconvenient time or California Grill.

My husband and I will eat anywhere, and our 2 kids 9 & 15 will be fine with either menu.

Thanks for any info.

Scar
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
For me, if it's a toss-up between one restaurant I've been to before, and one I haven't, I choose the new one.

Also, I know most people love 'Ohana's, but I didn't like it and I know a few on these boards that don't either. I've never heard a bad review on Cali Grill.

BrerGnat
02-24-2012, 09:19 AM
I'd try CA Grill. It's quite a bit more expensive than 'Ohana, but the food is better.

I love 'Ohana too, but you should try a new place since the time is inconvenient at 'Ohana.

diz_girl
02-24-2012, 09:46 AM
I vote Cali Grille. While you really want to go to an old favorite, you're missing out on trying a restaurant that could be a new favorite. So try Cali Grille this time. 'Ohana isn't going anywhere.

ElenitaB
02-24-2012, 09:47 AM
The atmosphere at these two restaurants couldn't be more different but we love them both! We don't get to Cali Grill as much as we'd like and, like you, haven't been able to get an ADR at 'Ohana.

Definitely try California Grill! Everything from the location and the view through the service and the food is truly wonderful. Enjoy!

BayLaker25
02-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Cali is a place my wife and I must go to everytime we are in WDW, which has been the last 7 or 8 trips. The food is amazing! It is more expensive than Ohana but is worth it. We do love Ohana also but I think you kids will love getting a birds eye view of the MK. My choice would definetly be Cali!

disneynarula
02-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I am not a huge fan of O'Hana. I don't dislike it, but it's not in my top ten. I am not much of a carnivore and the whole meat on a stick thing doesn't do it for me. The last time I went my meat was really dry and tasteless. Maybe it was just a bad night? I think it's really loud with all the activity going on. With kids O'Hana might be more fun. I know my kids would love it! We are going to try it with the kids next trip I think.

Cali grill is really nice! I would go for it. You can just order appetizers or sushi and it might cost less than O'Hana. You don't have to order an entree unless you are using credits on the DDP.

I feel like more effort is put into the food at California grill. It's the star of the show. At O'Hana the atmosphere is the big star. If I am spending a lot of money on a dinner I would rather spend the money on good food than a fun atmosphere. I can have "fun" at the parks but dinner, that is serios business :blush:!

SBETigg
02-24-2012, 10:44 AM
California Grill is more of a fine dining experience, while 'Ohana is a fun, comfortable family style meal. My choice would be California Grill. It's one of our favorites. But it is Signature dining, two credits vs one at 'Ohana.

Keep in mind that dinner at California Grill is an experience, and it will probably take longer than dinner at 'Ohana. The service is meant for you to slow down and enjoy your food, not rush right back to parks. My thinking is that if you want to really enjoy California Grill, plan to take some time there- the views are spectacular. Many people try to eat at California Grill during the fireworks to make the most of the views and the observation deck. If you are planning to eat and head back to the park, that is fine too, just leave yourself enough time. You mention wanting to catch the parade, so thinking you aren't planning to be at California Grill for fireworks time (though it is a lovely place to be for viewing).

mdricks
02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Two of my favorite places. Very different experiences IMHO. Cali Grill is a go back to room take a nap get freshened up and "go to dinner" experience

Cali grill has a great wine list, fairly innovative without being pretentious. Real waiter in black tie. There is a reason you have to put your credit card down to hold your ressie.

Ohana’s food rocks and it’s a ton of fun.

For my part, unless your kids are "white tablecloth" ready go to Ohana’s. If your kids enjoy, or are begining to learn about fine dining, take them to Cali as its is an excellent place to start gaining familarity with that extra little fork/spoon above the plate.

:number1:

Quadstriker
02-24-2012, 02:29 PM
For my part, unless your kids are "white tablecloth" ready go to Ohana’s. If your kids enjoy, or are begining to learn about fine dining, take them to Cali as its is an excellent place to start gaining familarity with that extra little fork/spoon above the plate.

Excellent advice. If your 9 year old is a squirmy wormy in a restaurant, avoid Cali Grill.

If he's a reasonably behaved kid and you can get in around fireworks time, that is what you should do without question! It is a great experience.

mom2morgan
02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I really like both, but find the Cali Grill VERY expensive (the tip alone was about what we'd normally pay for dinner!). We went for my DD's 16th birthday, but thought I'd mention that in case cost is an issue.

coloradowendyl
02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Keep in mind that California Grill is 2 table service credits on the dining plan and also requests slightly nicer "dress" than other restaurants. Ohana is 1 table service and does not have an issue with more "park attire" clothing.

Other favorites by the Magic Kingdom are Grand Floridian Cafe and Kona!

CuteAsMinnie
02-27-2012, 11:51 PM
We loved the California Grille! I believe this was our kids first experiene at am upscale restaurant and they loved it too! I think they were 7 and 10 at the time. We requested the wine room because it's quieter. Of course the fireworks were a special treat too!
:cool:

RAIDER
02-28-2012, 03:17 AM
Ive been to both and if i had a favourite ,it would be the CG as i prefer the atmosphere and food a tad more .But either way you cant loose in whatever choice you make :thumbsup:

Wolf
02-28-2012, 10:20 AM
We had a awful experience at Cali so we would never go back, (Cold food, hateful server, lackluster manager) everything was awful about our experience there so my vote would be hands down Ohanna

minnie-mouse
02-28-2012, 11:22 AM
I say try California Grill at least once. It's a fabulous restaurant.

Alpha Jeanie
03-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Thank you for all the info. We have picked California Grill.
:tasty:

DisneyorBust
03-02-2012, 10:32 AM
A disssenting opinion here. DW and I took the opportunity to try the California Grill and most likely will not return for a number of reasons.
Service: the server was fine until we declined any wine with dinner, at that point his 'friendliness' disappeared and the service was mediocre from that point on.
Food: Was just OK, nothing sepctacular and definately not worth two table credits or the equivalent.
Atmosphere: Much louder than I expected. It was not what I would consider a "fine dining experience".
Will we try it again, maybe, I don't like to make a judgement on just one visit but for the cost it would be a risk for me to return.