PDA

View Full Version : Test Track

puck292
02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
we are planning a trip arriving on August 29 leaving on September 3rd. I told my kids test track may still be closed for rehab. They are both very upset because it is their "favorite". Any idea when test track scheduled to reopen? Thanks. John

Strmchsr
02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Right now the schedule is April 15-September 21 for the closure. Given how extensive this refurb (they're completely reworking the ride - it almost won't even be the same ride anymore) is I wouldn't look for it to open early.

Kenny1113
02-23-2012, 06:00 PM
Oh no! It will be closed when DS10 goes for his 5tg grade trip. At least he will get to ride it when we got next month.
Can't wait to hear what they will be doing to the ride!

puck292
02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
i think it has to do with TRON

azcavalier
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
i think it has to do with TRON

What? No, it has nothing to do with TRON. It will now be branded entirely for Chevrolet, and will feature an "Interactive Design Center" where guests will get to try out designing their own concept vehicles. Then, somehow, the guests supposedly get to "try out" some of their ideas on the track by putting their "simcars" through various tests. Then they get a score at the end to see how their designs fared.

I'm curious to see what they actually implement. Obviously, you can't design a car and then have them put it together for you so you can ride it. Even if the options were simple (three bumpers to choose from, spoilers, coupe vs. convertible, etc.), they couldn't modify cars at all for passengers, or else it would be the slowest ride in history. It has to move people, but still supposedly offer differing experiences for each group. Should be interesting.

Quadstriker
02-24-2012, 04:28 PM
I still don't understand how you're going to get to customize a car that 6 people ride in.

Jared
02-24-2012, 05:24 PM
What? No, it has nothing to do with TRON. It will now be branded entirely for Chevrolet, and will feature an "Interactive Design Center" where guests will get to try out designing their own concept vehicles. Then, somehow, the guests supposedly get to "try out" some of their ideas on the track by putting their "simcars" through various tests. Then they get a score at the end to see how their designs fared.

I'm curious to see what they actually implement. Obviously, you can't design a car and then have them put it together for you so you can ride it. Even if the options were simple (three bumpers to choose from, spoilers, coupe vs. convertible, etc.), they couldn't modify cars at all for passengers, or else it would be the slowest ride in history. It has to move people, but still supposedly offer differing experiences for each group. Should be interesting.
In fairness, there are very credible people in the Disney fan community suggesting that the updated Test Track will find at least a degree of influence in "Tron" and potentially even the original World of Motion attraction. It's not a complete stretch. There were rumors originally that Test Track would turn into a "Tron" attraction completely. That's turned out not to be true, but that doesn't mean pieces of the concept can't survive.

I'm looking forward to the updated ride. Nice to see Disney will still refurbish older attractions -- even if it takes a sponsor's dollar to get it done.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-24-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm reserving judgement on it.

I really enjoy the old ride and am hoping that they don't turn it into a "simulator" type ride (like sum of all thrills or HP Forbidden Journey) since those kind of rides make me :sick: .

I also don't want to have to ride someone else's concept car & ride, so not sure about the whole aspect of this . . . . .

Guess we'll find out over time if it stays a favorite or not . . . . :sad:

Strmchsr
02-25-2012, 07:46 AM
There were rumors originally that Test Track would turn into a "Tron" attraction completely. That's turned out not to be true, but that doesn't mean pieces of the concept can't survive.

It's not true. You're right, there were tons of rumors related to Tron and WoM, but those have proven unfounded, both in terms of what Disney has officially announced as well more unofficial sources. I have a good friend working on the refurb project. He wouldn't tell me a darn thing before the official announcement (what's the point of having "inside friends" if they won't tell you anything! :D ) but he did tell me after the official announcement that they had considered Tron, but those ideas never went anywhere.

DizneyFreak2002
02-25-2012, 12:19 PM
It's not true. You're right, there were tons of rumors related to Tron and WoM, but those have proven unfounded, both in terms of what Disney has officially announced as well more unofficial sources. I have a good friend working on the refurb project. He wouldn't tell me a darn thing before the official announcement (what's the point of having "inside friends" if they won't tell you anything! :D ) but he did tell me after the official announcement that they had considered Tron, but those ideas never went anywhere.

Tron belongs in either Tomorrowland or DHS... Can't you just see Flynn's Arcade facade on Hollywood Blvd, enter through the arcade, see all the dusty 1980's video games, then you enter.. THE GRID!!!! hop on a light cycle vehicle and you are transported into a ride similar to spiderman/potter: great show scenes and screen technology that.. OK, I'm getting ahead of myself... Disney would never do anything so awesome!!!

Jared
02-25-2012, 12:21 PM
There's a nice plot in the southeast corner of Tomorrowland just dying for an attraction like that.

Quadstriker
02-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Tron belongs in either Tomorrowland or DHS... Can't you just see Flynn's Arcade facade on Hollywood Blvd, enter through the arcade, see all the dusty 1980's video games, then you enter.. THE GRID!!!! hop on a light cycle vehicle and you are transported into a ride similar to spiderman/potter: great show scenes and screen technology that.. OK, I'm getting ahead of myself... Disney would never do anything so awesome!!!

I'd buy a ticket for that!

Strmchsr
02-25-2012, 03:24 PM

That is an awesome idea.

ronandjulie
02-25-2012, 03:47 PM
I'll be Mr. Negative. Nobody cares what the themes is. Everyone just wants to get in the car and go wicked fast around the building. That's it.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I'll be Mr. Negative. Nobody cares what the themes is. Everyone just wants to get in the car and go wicked fast around the building. That's it.

THAT'S WHY I LIKED IT!!! :fit:

:funny:

CrazyStitch
02-28-2012, 09:01 AM
I still don't understand how you're going to get to customize a car that 6 people ride in.

Perhaps it will be a case where you design your car leading up to the ride, then the ride itself is pretty much as it is now, then afterwards you're shown how your design did. So not really using your design, but you get response based on how your design does against a set equation.

At least, that's the only way I can think they'd do it without changing the ride into a simulator.

Jared
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
Some Disney executive is in his office reading this post and smiling right now. Why care about show quality? Why bother with artistry and aesthetic design? All they want to do is go fast.

Strmchsr
02-28-2012, 10:44 AM
Some Disney executive is in his office reading this post and smiling right now. Why care about show quality? Why bother with artistry and aesthetic design? All they want to do is go fast.

Yep. If folks just want to go fast - go to Universal. Going to Disney brings a much higher level of expectation in regard to story, themeing, and overall integration. Some of the Disney execs need to be reminded of that.