PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco and Redwood Forest

Mfarquar
02-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I posted but am skipping Disney this year and taking a trip to the Redwood Forest with my mom and husband. We plan on flying into San Francisco and spending 3 nights there, and then making the 4 hour drive up to the redwood area.

All of you always have such wonderful advice and was wondering if you would care to share some tips, must-sees, best areas to visit, restaurants, hotels, and anything that comes to mind!

We are planning on going in July, as June is off-limits because of an out-of-state wedding I'm in. September doesn't work well with our work schedules. I've heard it can be a bit rainy, but I wasn't sure if that's relative to sunny CA weather.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MNNHFLTX
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
When you say that you are going to the redwood forest, do you mean Redwood National Park or one of the other destinations that have stands of redwoods, like Yosemite? We've been to Yosemite and Muir Woods, so my knowledge would be limited to those areas. :)

NewDVCowner
02-22-2012, 04:02 PM
There are redwood forests up the coast from San Francisco. Muir Woods is lovely and is just over the Golden Gate Bridge. A four hour (maybe five from San Francisco) drive to the east and you'll be in Yosemite - and the Mariposa grove of redwoods. Absolutely the most beautiful place I've ever been. If you want to stay in Yosemite work on getting reservations now - it may already be too late if you want to stay in the Valley.

Of course Napa and Sonoma are great places to visit for the wine country and are beautiful. I recommend Sonoma over Napa just because it's a little more laid back, however that's been changing. Livermore, in the East Bay, is an up and coming wine area as well if you want to get away from the tourists.

I like Monterey and Pacific Grove as well. Maybe a two hour drive from San Francisco. It has a wonderful aquarium there. Santa Cruz is also a nice town to visit, though I haven't been there in years. They also have redwoods.

You don't need to worry about rain in July, however pack warm clothes for San Francisco. Layers are a good bet. While in July it very well can get over 100 degrees away from the coast, in the city it can be very chilly. Mark Twain said 'the coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.' Keep that in mind.

If you have any specific questions throw them out there and I'll try to help.

Mfarquar
02-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry! I should have been more clear. We're planning on going to the Redwood National Forest - areas like Orick, Humbolt, Crescent City. This would be part 2 of the trip.

Love the suggestion about Napa, NewDVCowner!

Here's the itinerary I was thinking of:

Day 1 - Arrive in San Fran at about 11am
Day 2 - San Fran
Day 3 - San Fran
Day 4 - Breakfast in San Fran, Drive to Napa or similar, do a winery tour, continue up to our lodging up north early evening or so (will be a 4.5 - 5 hour trip).
Day 5 - Redwood National Forest
Day 6 - Other Redwood Area
Day 7 - More exploring
Day 8 - Early morning head down to San Fran. Early evening flight home.

Days 5-8 are not really planned out so great yet and I'm open to suggestions. My mom had loved pictures of the Redwood National Forest in her science book as a kid and I really wanted to bring her there.

Mfarquar
02-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Thanks for both your help!

Great to know about Sonoma, too!

NewDVCowner
02-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Just be aware that most wineries in Napa and Sonoma charge for tasting now. Usually it runs about $5 ot $10 for a set number of tastings. I've found that most wineries will be a little 'soft' on the number of tastings, but some aren't. Cline Cellars, one of my favorities in Sonoma, does not charge.

If you're driving up 101 I'd recommend getting off on the first offramp after the Golden Gate Bridge and turn towards the ocean, there's a hill you go up and then a pull out (there will be a ton of cars). This is a great overlook back to the City with the bridge right in front of you. If you keep going into the Headlands Pt. Bonita lighthouse is out there (it's only open certain days and times) as well as a very nice beach. The water is COLD though, so don't plan on getting into it.

Mfarquar
02-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Wow! Fantastic tips NewDVCowner. This sounds like a great side trip on our way - I know my husband will LOVE to get some pictures of that view!

Great to know about the wineries, too. I've only been to wineries in NJ and they all charge for tasting tours so I'm happy to hear there's at least 1 free one. Maybe we'll have to hit up two (good thing my husband doesn't drink - he'll be the driver that day!) :)

emerzmom
02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
One more vote to consider going to the Muir Woods to see the Redwoods (short drive from San Fran) then using your "extra part of your trip" to go to Yosemite. That is probably the most beautiful place in the entire United States (IMHO). I was blown away by Yosemite National Park! And, the Muir Woods is really lovely and a lot closer.
:mickey:
Julie

Mfarquar
02-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Is the Redwood National Forest, Del Norte Coast, etc. park that bad? I have heard such wonderful things about the coastal drive and the concentration of Redwoods. Of course, there's the actual location from my mom's elementary school book - the drive through trees - and that was our inspiration for this trip - she's dreamed of them since she was a kid. It only seems about a 1 hour difference than Yosemite and thought it might be fun to bounce around and travel along the ocean. The driving doesn't bother us at all, we're quite used to frequent driving trips that are that long. There also seem to be some unique tours up there. My husband had been to Yosemite as a child so we wanted to try something new... The focus idea is the redwoods because this trip is really for my mom and it is what she is most interested in.

Is it just that the Redwood National Forest does not stand up to the smaller Muir Woods park by comparison or is just that Muir Woods is more popular to visit and my fellow Intercotees have spent more time there? Is the weather better? What are the specific differences between the two?

Thanks so much!

TheDuckRocks
02-24-2012, 09:18 AM
The Redwoods in Northern California are spectacular! The entire coastal area north of San Francisco is beautiful and far less crowded than Yosemite. Many charming towns, wonderful restaurants and lots of things to see and do. Take time to drive at least part of your trip up old Highway One, slow going but worth it. As a native Californian I find that the northern part of the state is often overlooked by many tourists who focus on the more popular/highly traveled areas.

TheDuckRocks
02-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Oh, good grief - I forgot to tell you to check out the website Visit California, tons of info and you can sign up for their travel brochure, it usually comes with some good coupons.

NewDVCowner
02-24-2012, 12:15 PM
The Redwoods in Northern California are spectacular! The entire coastal area north of San Francisco is beautiful and far less crowded than Yosemite. Many charming towns, wonderful restaurants and lots of things to see and do. Take time to drive at least part of your trip up old Highway One, slow going but worth it. As a native Californian I find that the northern part of the state is often overlooked by many tourists who focus on the more popular/highly traveled areas.

I agree. The coast is beautiful and I certainly do agree that taking the coastal highway (one) is spectacular. The redwoods on the north coast are lovely and if that's what you mother has dreamed of seeing, then yes, do it. It is much less crowded than Yosemite.

I haven't been up to Mendocino in close to 20 years so I don't remember all that well what weather would be like, but I would imagine that if you're in that area it will probably be chilly, in the very least in the morning. One of the things that coastal redwood trees rely on is the fog.

Mfarquar
02-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Thanks so much NewDVCowner and TheDuckRocks! This makes me feel a lot better. The pictures look wonderful, but it's great to hear some positives from people who have seen the area first-hand at one time or another.

Will definitely check out Visit California. Going to check out Mendocino, too. Seems to have many upscale, charming B&Bs and nice restaurants.

Starting to think of maybe going all the way up and roughing it at a cheaper, but clean hotel like a Best Western in Crescent City for a couple of nights, then working our way down to Mendocino for 2 or 3 nights, just to check out as much of the area as possible. Ending at Mendocino would make a much shorter trip back down to San Francisco to catch a direct flight home to Boston on our last day...

Thanks again for all the input - it really is helpful!

badkitty
02-26-2012, 12:28 AM
If you are heading up to Cresent City, I would definitely venture off of 101 to travel through the "Avenue of the Giants". It is about a 30-mile or so portion of the old Hwy 101 that parallels the newer sections of 101. I think it takes about five hours to get there from SF. The views are breathtaking.

Also a great place to stop and eat is the Samoa Cookhouse. It is a logging camp type restaurant in the town of Samoa (near Eureka). The food is served "family style" and is so yummy. Each day a different entree is featured. They have a website if you search for Samoa Cookhouse.

badkitty
02-26-2012, 12:41 AM
You might also check out the Skunk Train in Fort Bragg. I think they still offer 1/2 day excursions through the Redwoods.

Mfarquar
02-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the great advice BadKitty!

Will definitely check out Avenue of the Giants and the restaurant suggestion is super helpful! I'll also check out the skunk train - sounds intriguing!

Thanks again!

Mfarquar
02-27-2012, 12:21 AM
The Skunk Train looks awesome! Funny name, but looks like something I'll definitely have to book - great advice!

LVT
03-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Your plan is great. I have done both your planned trip to the redwoods to the north and Yosemite. Both are stunning. For a shorter and easier trip I vote with you. It is also at a lower elevation, with fewer people.California has a lot of great parks.

Jeri Lynn
04-30-2012, 11:59 AM
My daughter is going to be interning at the Redwood National Forest. She has to be there the first week of June. She will be driving cross country, and I might possibly be driving with her.

If you could let me know about hotels/motels in the area. I saw one I think in Orick, it looks like a little little motel, the others seem to be about 15 miles away.

If I do drive out I guess I will have to fly out of a little airport in Arcata to San Francisco and then back to MA.

She will be there for 12 weeks.