PDA

View Full Version : Sepsis, Does Anyone Know?

DVC2004
02-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Someone close to us is very ill. They developed sepsis a few months ago after a rash got infected and was not treated. They ended up very seriously ill in ICU with sepsis. For a few weeks, their body temperature was high and they were sedated. Eventually their temperature has stabilized but they have remained in ICU for 2 months now. This person is in their 60's and has had health issues over the years, but is not diabetic or had cancer.

They are conscious but would be described as being in and out of it, with some days better than others. Frequently they are confused and saying very disjointed things.

We are out of state and not there, so I can't tell you many details but I just can't help thinking something else may be going on? To be in ICU for 2 months...is there something I should be telling the caregivers to ask the doctors? We are just very concerned.:(

Disney Goof
02-21-2012, 02:30 PM
I am not a doctor or nurse, by my Aunt had back surgery and was at a rehab facility when she just starting acting weird. She would just stare off into space and be out of it. She was in renal failure and needed dialysis right away. She has had another dialysis treatment and is doing much better now.

Make sure their urine output is normal. That was the problem and the doctors and nurses didn't notice it.

Hope they get better soon.

wilcat
02-21-2012, 02:47 PM
As Disney Goof stated have them check for renal failure. The week before my father passed they told us he had sepsis brought on by renal failure. Unfortunatly my father slipped into a coma and never woke up. I would have your friends check out everything or ask for another opinion. Sometimes a new set of eyes can catch something.

Cathy

SBETigg
02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
My father-in-law died of sepsis. He was in the hospital to have his leg removed due to diabetes complications, and he ended up septic and died weeks later. From what I understand, it's blood poisoning, when the blood becomes overwhelmed with bacteria from infection, and can happen with minor surgeries or injuries, or being on IV therapy for any other condition. And recovery is not easy. I think it often leads to death. Prayers for your friend or loved one. This is definitely a cause for concern. All the major organs could start to fail and that would lead to death. I'm guessing the patient is still hospitalized because they have had some success in treating the infection, but not enough because it is still a concern.

If a patient is septic, they are already being constantly monitored for failure of organs, so it isn't necessary to ask them to check for renal failure. Being treated for renal failure can bring on sepsis. Renal failure itself doesn't cause sepsis, but sepsis can cause renal failure.

MNNHFLTX
02-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Sepsis comes about when there is an overwhelming infection in the body or overwhelming inflammatory response to an infection in the body. Most often it is due to bacteria in the blood, but can also be caused by other infections (pneumonia, for example). It can cause problems in maintaining blood pressure and heart rate, and as Sherri mentioned, can lead to multiple organ failure (heart, lungs, kidneys, liver).

As for your loved one, what neurological testing has been done--MRI/CT of the brain, EEG, etc? That would probably be the first thing to ask about at this point. Chances are that they do get daily labs drawn that would indicate any ongoing kidney or liver issues.

Unfortunately, in my experience, people who are hospitalized/treated for extended periods of time for sepsis often have a decline in their mental status, probably because of lack of adequate circulation during the crisis. Long periods of time spent in the ICU can also lead to a type of psychosis--confusion, lethargy, etc.

Ian
02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
One thing I can tell you from personal experience is that older folks who are hospitalized for long periods of time and develop infections are very susceptible to strokes. The inactivity along with the diarrhea brought on by the infections make you a prime candidate to develop clots. My Grandmother passed away two years ago after a bout of pneumonia had her hospitalized in ICU for two months.

She developed a c-diff infection (very common in long hospitalizations) that was what eventually lead her to stroke out. Very sad, but all too common.

The moral of the story is make sure they're keeping them well hydrated and on an appropriate blood thinner. Moving around as much as possible also helps. Clots are a killer and it's very important to take measures against them.

DVC2004
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the info. At least now we have some questions to ask and things to discuss. I've tried to read up on it, but I didn't see anything about people who suffered prolonged effects. It is hard being out of state because we aren't there to hear the day to day reports from the doctor. Sadly it sounds like most people who don't fully recover don't have a good chance...

As far as we've been told, testing has been done for various things and they can't find a specific reason. Supposedly, they are healthy. However their condition seems to say otherwise. Last update yesterday was they were back in ICU because their blood pressure won't stay up.

I don't know it doesn't sound good. Please keep our loved one in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks. :(

Disney4us2
02-22-2012, 11:20 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie: Prayers and Pixies for everyone, Wishing the best.

We dealt with illness with my 91 year old father in December. He had MRSA, and cellulitis. We almost lost him. He made a remarkable recovery, thank goodness. It still took him over 2 months to be fully recovered.

MNNHFLTX
02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
I sent you a PM with a link to an article you might be interested in.

:pixie: and prayers going out for your loved one.