PDA

View Full Version : Grr. How do I fix this? (vent)

stitchingirl
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi all,
I am unemployed and on social security disability for being bipolar. Just got a letter saying my case is up for review and may or may not be necessarily approved. During the time that I have been on SS I have gone to school and acquired a Bachelor's degree in creative writing, so, yes, I did get an education, but not a super technical one. I was fully planning on getting a job when I graduated last December, but the economy happened, and, also? My bipolar-ness took a sudden swing for the worse.

My family really needs the money that social security gives us in lieu of me not working, so I am really in a bind here that I either get a job or get SS renewed.

Last week I got a phone call for an interview. DH and I were going (and currently are) out of the state for a family trip that we planned a whole year in advance, not knowing that bipolar would get worse, that SS would be up for renewal, that I would have a harder time finding a job. So I didn't go to the interview or even call the guy back because we were going out of town.

Today, still being out of state, and a week and change later, the job interviewer guy calls me back for an interview. Seems he's already interviewed several candidates but they aren't the one and he thinks I might be that one person he needs. So he conducts a mini-phone interview right here and now, and then plans for me to come in for a 2nd, "real" interview in person next Monday.

That's great. Really. I wrote down the address and the directions very carefully, and the guy's first and last names. I went out and got dinner, and sitting here looking at the note I made, and realized I didn't write down the TIME. And that place where we talked about what time to come in for the interview where I probably would be hired is just a blank space in my mind. The bipolar has completely erased that part of the conversation. I have no idea whether we agreed on 9, or 1, or 3.

And of course, I have the guy's name and number, but if I call him and say, oh, I'm sorry, I forgot to write down the time, I may as well literally shoot myself in the foot. He'll figure out that I'm not as organized as I made myself out to be on my resume. Or that I'm maybe not the best candidate.

Grrr. :mad:

SBETigg
02-20-2012, 07:42 PM
I do think it would be fine to call the man back and ask for the information again, just to confirm the time and place. It's not shooting yourself in the foot. Reconfirming appointments happens all the time, and I doubt it would even raise any concerns. Best wishes with it.

dnickels
02-20-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree there's nothing wrong with calling back to confirm it. Heck if it was me I wouldn't hold it against a candidate if they even said that in their excitement they forgot to write down the time or they couldn't tell if that number was a 3 or an 8. When they say it's at (whenever) you just cheerfully say that you're glad you called to double check.

If they've held off on hiring someone so they can get a face-to-face interview with you then accidentally forgetting to write down the time seems like it should be small potatoes.

DVC2004
02-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I agree, it would be fine to call him and confirm the time...it happens, don't be so hard on yourself. It's much better to call and ask rather than not show for the interview or go at the wrong time. Give him a call, I am sure it happens alot and he won't even care.

Good luck- sounds like a good opportunity!

Disney Hungarian
02-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I have hired MANY people over the years. I have never given it a second thought when someone calls to confirm (or get the info again.) I will say; I have never hired anyone that was late to an interview. If they had a good enough reason, I would reschedule another interview to give them a second chance to make a better first impression. :thumbsup:

clausjo
02-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Agree with everyone here, just call and reconfirm the appointment. You won't be shooting yourself in the foot. Best of luck, let us know how things turn out!

ColleenMcD
02-21-2012, 11:31 AM
As an HR Manager- I LOVE when people call to confirm. It shows me that they are serious about the job. I would have no problem if an applicant told me they forgot to write down the time and needed confirmation.

Good Luck! Hope all works out for you!