PDA

View Full Version : Patriotic Vinylmation

Melanie
02-20-2012, 06:53 PM
From Steven Miller on the Disney Parks Blog:

A Patriotic Vinylmation Salute on Presidents Day

A few weekends ago, my son visited the Hall of Presidents at Magic Kingdom Park for the first time. The attraction is a Walt Disney World Resort classic originally opening in 1971. At first, I was unsure if he would enjoy the show as much as I do. A few weeks later he asked me to name the presidents, which was his favorite part of the attraction (so it appears he liked it). We’ve recently featured a few of the presidents as Vinylmation. On this Presidents’ Day, I thought a closer look at some patriotic Vinylmation was in order.

The image below features two figures released late last year – George Washington from Holiday #3 and Abraham Lincoln from Park Starz #1. This year, we will be releasing additional patriotic figures including a copper-colored Abraham Lincoln. He is part of the Park Starz variant collection, and will have an edition size of 2,500. Look for him to be released in June at the D-Street locations. There will also be a nine-inch figure designed by Casey Jones and a three-inch Uncle Sam figure for Independence Day.

I think one of my favorite new Vinylmation sets salutes the America on Parade celebration. The three-figure set was designed by Disney Design Group Artist Monty Maldovan and has an edition size of 5,000. The set is only being sold via the Disney Parks online store.

Some of you may recall that the American Bicentennial celebration was held from June 1975 to September 1976 at both Disneyland park and Walt Disney World Resort (sadly, I didn’t visit during that time). The celebration had a parade with special floats and costumes with oversized heads (those costumes later made an appearance in my all-time favorite Disney television special – the grand opening celebration for Epcot Center). The parade was led by Mickey Mouse, Goofy and Donald Duck which have been recreated as three-inch Vinylmation figures for that limited edition set.

A photo of those three characters will also appear on a new navy-colored tee-shirt arriving this March at Disney Parks. While the shirt isn’t Vinylmation related, I love the retro look and plan to be sporting it soon!