PDA

View Full Version : I Know Why Video Rental Stores Are Going Out of Business...

DVC2004
02-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Ugh! So we have one left around our place, a small family owned chain in the area. I do have Blockbuster Movie Pass (like Netflix) free in my Dish Network package, but we only get one movie a month. We were bored yesterday so I thought I'd pop in this place to see what they had.

I rented 2 DVDs, 1 BluRay and 1 video game. Get home, my son goes to play the game- it was supposed to have 2 discs and they only gave us one. Back to the store...

OK, get new game discs, 2 this time. Later than night- son tells me the game won't work and keeps freezing. OK I said, I will tell them when I bring it back.

Final kicker, sit down to watch a movie and they forgot to put it in the case. Third visit to the store, this time I returned it all and got my money back. Sheesh! Went from bored to aggrivated. Guess we'll stick to Blockbuster Movie Pass!

darthmacho
02-20-2012, 04:54 PM
I boycotted Blockbuster a LONG time ago. They accused us of bringing a movie back late, even though I knew we had brought it back on time. I was mad, but I gave them a second chance, and it happened again. Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice shame on you. I never went back to Blockbusters again. I couldn't care less if they go under.

Technology and poor service is why they will go out of business. :dighole:

DizneyRox
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Streaming is nice but still frought with problems... There are better solutions, and until the problems are figured out (many of them have to do with their business model, not just technology), I'm perfectly happy with my setup.

SBETigg
02-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Technology and poor service is why they will go out of business. :dighole:

Most likely, technology. I haven't been to a physical rental store in forever and I love that. I have Netflix and I mostly use the streaming feature, but we're also Comcast customers and we most often just get what we want ordering through Xfinity. We're probably dropping the Netflix, too, now.

gerald72
02-20-2012, 08:31 PM
Blockbuster accused me of bringing back a movie late also. I dropped off two at the same time, and they insisted one was late.
"we will let it go this time"
They never had a chance for a next time.

DisneyDog
02-20-2012, 08:45 PM
I am a librarian in a public library. We did have to start charging for DVD rentals to make up for our huge budget cuts, but we are still the best deal in town. The Redbox is $1 per night. Our brand new DVDs are $1 for 3 nights, and older (than 4 months) are $1 for 7 nights. Plus, Fridays are 2 for $1. We only have Redbox in our town. No more video rental stores. Our DVDs are almost as popular as our book collection. And, WE are very careful about checking each case when they go out and are returned. So, you might want to check out your library and see what they have to offer :)

TheVBs
02-21-2012, 08:06 AM
I was happy to ditch Blockbuster as well. There is a store still open here, and I always wonder how much longer they'll last. I remember when I signed up for the membership way back when, they actually wanted credit card info! I left it blank, which left them looking a little blank. They asked if I'd like to include it and I just said "Nope!"

We have Netflix streaming and their one DVD at a time service. We also have an awesome local library and library network where the DVDs are free. :)

BrerGnat
02-21-2012, 08:20 AM
I was happy to ditch Blockbuster as well. There is a store still open here, and I always wonder how much longer they'll last. I remember when I signed up for the membership way back when, they actually wanted credit card info! I left it blank, which left them looking a little blank. They asked if I'd like to include it and I just said "Nope!"

I worked at a Blockbuster in College (~15 years ago). "Way back when" movies used to be released on VHS, and they were NOT also immediately available for purchase. A new release video that was NOT available for purchase at the same time would cost a Blockbuster store ~$100 for a "lost" or non returned copy. The studios used to set this price. It was a way to prevent pirating. This is what the credit card info was for...to protect stores from losses related to movies getting "lost" at home. It happened more than you''d think. If you didn't provide a credit card, you were limited on how many movies you could have out at a time. Also, late fees were a HUGE thing. People, most of the time, did keep movies WELL PAST the due dates. On popular movies, without late fees, lost revenue from that rental sitting at someone's house would make a fair impact on sales. We used to cut a break for most people on the late fees. I was a manager, and I credited back tens of thousands of dollars of late fees, because mistakes did happen.

In this day and age, there is no need for brick and mortar rental stores. Similar to how there is little need for "film developing" huts. Remember those?

brownie
02-21-2012, 10:59 AM
I stopped doing business with Blockbuster years ago. I went to the ATM to get money to rent some movies. I'm in line and see the sign that says no 50s or 100s. No problem, I have 20s. I go to pay for my movies and the clerk just points to the sign where they had written in real small 'No 20s.' Who won't take a $20 bill? I could have charged my purchase but I walked out. I wrote a letter but never heard back from Blockbuster so I cut up our membership cards and sent them along with a second letter. To this day I've never heard back from Blockbuster and I've never done business with them again. We used Hollywood Video until they went out of business. Now we use our library. I may have to wait a while, but the price is certainly right (free.)

SBETigg
02-21-2012, 11:06 AM
In this day and age, there is no need for brick and mortar rental stores. Similar to how there is little need for "film developing" huts. Remember those?

With e-books and e-readers, brick and mortar bookstores are going the same way, and this really makes me sad. Is there anything like going into a bookstore and just looking, flipping, trying to find that perfect read? Ah, technology.

At least we still have libraries.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
We've had Netflix for close to 12 years. Have not been in a brick and mortar video store in close to 12 years. Blockbuster pulled the "turned in late" with us....My husband watched them delete our information from their computer system immediately as he handed the videos to a person behind the counter 1 day after we rented them.

With our laptops, PS3/Wii systems, and our TV - we can watch Blu Rays, DVDs, AND stream movies. We have very few issues unless all our available media are being used at the same time.

As for brick and mortar book stores - I do have a Nook color, but still purchase paper books.

Georgesgirl1
02-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Blockbuster pulled the late movie on me too. I turned a movie in at the slot at 9pm. They said that they don't check the slot after 8pm :confused: The last Blockbuster near us is going out of business right now. We went in to buy some used movies the other day. I realized that this is the first time in years we had actually been in a movie rental place!
We have Netflix streaming through our BluRay player. We use Redbox and the library to get movies that we can't get through Netflix.

Ian
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Between on demand and Netflix, I haven't been to a brick and mortar rental joint in probably close to ten years.

Heck, the last TV we bought has a Netflix app built right in. Couldn't be any easier!

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-25-2012, 08:42 PM
Heck, the last TV we bought has a Netflix app built right in. Couldn't be any easier!

Same here -- we LOVE our Netflix APP on our TV!

TheVBs
02-26-2012, 09:11 AM
I worked at a Blockbuster in College (~15 years ago). "Way back when" movies used to be released on VHS, and they were NOT also immediately available for purchase. A new release video that was NOT available for purchase at the same time would cost a Blockbuster store ~$100 for a "lost" or non returned copy. The studios used to set this price. It was a way to prevent pirating. This is what the credit card info was for...to protect stores from losses related to movies getting "lost" at home. It happened more than you''d think. If you didn't provide a credit card, you were limited on how many movies you could have out at a time. Also, late fees were a HUGE thing. People, most of the time, did keep movies WELL PAST the due dates. On popular movies, without late fees, lost revenue from that rental sitting at someone's house would make a fair impact on sales. We used to cut a break for most people on the late fees. I was a manager, and I credited back tens of thousands of dollars of late fees, because mistakes did happen.

I probably should have qualified my "way back when" statement. This was less than 10 years ago, so definitely long after the time when they were VHS and so pricey.

PirateLover
02-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm pretty sure all our local Blockbusters are now closed. My husband worked for them 6 or 7 years ago. This was during the big "End of Late Fees" campaign. If you don't recall, they made a big deal about no late fees anymore, however the fine print was that after x amount of time (I forget how long it was) your credit card would be charged the full retail price of the DVD. DH said the whole thing was such a headache because every day they'd have customers coming in complaining about the charge. With Netflix, On Demand, and Redbox, no one needs Blockbuster anymore. The last time we went to a Blockbuster we got 4 or 5 movies to watch during a snowstorm 2 years ago and I just remembered thinking it was so expensive! Redbox is the way to go for new releases.

disneynarula
03-02-2012, 05:39 PM
I can't remember the last time I went to a video store. We don't do Netflix either. Mostly we rent from Amazon instant video. We don't rent many movies and I like that there is no monthly commitment.

princessgirls
03-05-2012, 10:17 AM
I let the girls talk me into renting 2 DVD's from the "Red Box" on Saturday as they were going to be home with a sitter.

Super easy...$1.25 each.

I don't do it often, but it worked for me this weekend.

On demand is great, but it can add up. We did have a trail subscription to netflix, but my DH and I rarely if ever sit down and watch a movie together. We have a DVR, and usually will watch what we have missed during the week.
Besides...I like "chick" flicks, and he likes "action". Never can agree....
Julie:mickey:

Disneyatic
03-15-2012, 10:53 PM
With e-books and e-readers, brick and mortar bookstores are going the same way, and this really makes me sad. Is there anything like going into a bookstore and just looking, flipping, trying to find that perfect read? Ah, technology.

At least we still have libraries.

I really hope this never happens :( I love going into bookstores and wandering around to see what interesting books I find.
Half Price Books is my favorite, for some reason I like the environment of a "used bookstore". It is always crowded when we go, so I hope this means it will endure

As to the actual topic, we use redbox or steam movies online. The only time I go into the one blockbuster left in our area is to see what movies they have on the 2 for $20 sale!