PDA

View Full Version : Use Year?

tdk316
02-20-2012, 10:50 AM
I'm sure this has been covered in graphic detail before, but what use year should I pick? We typically vacation in October or December. Does it really matter? Thanks! :mickey:

MinnieMommie
02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
When we purchased DVC our guide asked when we usually visit and when we said October she recommended we select a September use year. We did that but we vacation during many different months and can't really see how it makes a difference. As long as you are able to plan your vacation around your points it doesn't make a difference (at least not for us).

FiggyFan
02-28-2012, 09:59 PM
The only thing I have noticed is that it gets interesting if you travel right at the end of the use year, or take a trip that straddles two use years. We have an August use year, and took a trip starting in late July and ending in early August. We had to book two distinct segments: one for July in the old use year, and one for August in the new use year.

I also had in mind that if we had to cancel for some reason, there would have been no way to salvage the points for the July portion of the trip - too late to bank, and holding account points expire at the end of July anyway.