PDA

View Full Version : What is your very first memory of WDW?

Jim&AngieMarriner
02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
I did a search and the last time this was discussed was 2007. Time for a reboot. And a bit of a clarrification. I am sure that if you were old enough that trip, your memory would be of the parking lot or the trams or maybe the monorails. What I am asking is, durring that first day (or first trip if your memory is a bit fuzzy like mine), what is your first memory that really stands out.

For me im not really sure which happened first since we were in the parks for a week that trip. I was 10 (1982) and the two things that REALLY stick out in my head are getting an invisible dog from the Magic shop and hearing the music for the Main Street Electrical Parade for the first time. The fanfare that starts it out has really stuck with me over the years. I even use it as a ring tone for my Cell phone. And I had so much fun with that invisible dog. Im sure i looked stupid to everyone else but it was a blast.

I cant really remember if we did the MSEP the first night or if I got the invisible dog leash the first day, but thats what I always think of first.

Ok im done, lets hear yours.

whitney37354
02-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I was 13 on my first WDW trip. My first memory is watching my parents buy the tickets, then seeing the Mickey head after taking the boat from Ft. Wilderness to the TTC, just before going into MK.

Jeniflower
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
the first time my sister and i went we stayed outside the resort, so we had to get the bus to the Ticket and transportation Centre every day. I remember so clearly getting the monorail for the first time and getting off at magic kingdom to look down at all the special paving stones in the road beneath is. every moment from then on was magicial

Mammabruski
02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
I was not quite three, but I remember the bullseye blue and white bottom of the kiddie pool at the Contemporary. The next solid memory comes from my trip as a 5 year old. I remember being at Epcot at the front of the park and it's pouring and dark out. I remember my grandparents being there, too. I sure do miss them!

TinkerbellT421
02-16-2012, 10:48 AM
I was about 8 years old I believe. My biggest memories that stick out, were that my dad with heart conditions one of the only things he was able to ride with me was Figment, so Figment has special meaning to me just for that. (Then later we rode Its a Small world) but Figment was the first ride I was able to ride with my Dad so I was so happy at that moment.

And remember also the invisible dog! I still to this day, have no idea what I ever did with that thing. And I also got one of those stupid marianet/puppet things you can buy over in Mexico, I can't believe they still sell those things! lol And to this day I have no idea why I insisted on having one of those things nevermind both lol.

mydisneygirls
02-16-2012, 11:11 AM
I never went as a young child so the first time I saw the archway to MK and drove under it.... Walt Disney World - Where Dreams Come True...I cried.

wilcat
02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
The first time I went to WDW I was 22 and on my honeymoon. My first memory was walking down Main Street with my new DH and thinking this is where dreams really do come true. I have visited a few times since then but that first walk down Main Street will always hold a special place in my heart.

DonaldsBFF
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
I went a couple of times as a young kid and all I can remember from those trips is that my favorite ride was Snow Whites Scary Adventures. I just wanted to keep riding it over and over. I loved the part where the evil witch would turn around and it felt like she was going to grab you. I was scared and thrilled all at the same time. I remember then going back in 2005 for my homeymoon and was so excited to go on the ride. Needless to say it seemed a lot different through my "grown up" eyes. It will be sad to go back and to not be able to enjoy that ride anymore.

Gator
02-16-2012, 03:35 PM
That's easy. My wife and I remember clearly remember walking from the front lobby at PO-RIverside to our room. We couldn't believe how HOT and HUMID it was in the middle of June. That's not quite the romantic memory you might be looking for, but it's what I remember the most.

joonyer
02-16-2012, 05:04 PM
1971. Magic Kingdom was brand new. I was 15. My first memory of the magic was riding across the lagoon on the big ferry and seeing the castle in the distance, reminding me of the castle I had seen so many times of pictures, TV shows, etc. of DisneyLand (where I had never been). That was when I first really felt the magic. The first attraction memory was thinking how cool the circlevison 360 theater was, especially the footage taken from the airplane. They had no seats, only handrails in the theater. People still fell over when the airplane did the loop. Fun! I also have distinct memories of 20k under the Sea, especially the smell. I though the subs were so cool, but looking back, some of the underwater effects were pretty lame (fish on strings). One other thing that sticks out was the mirrors in the mile long bar. I remember thinking I wanted to put up mirrors like that in my room at home.

ColleenMcD
02-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Very first memory is of being on the Ferry Boat to the Magic Kingdom and looking out across the water when suddenly - the Earth spins and THERE is the castle...an amazing moment frozen in my memory...
I was 8....

On the same trip- I thought I would be super cool and not wear sock with my sneakers and ended up sobbing from the pain caused by my bleeding blisters!! Second memory of Disney!

faline
02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
I was an adult on my first visit. We tent camped in Fort Wilderness. On the day of our arrival, we set up our tent and cooked a meal at our campsite. We had driven about 27 hours and wanted to get a good night's sleep before heading into "the park" (Magic Kingdom was the ONLY park at that point). After dinner, we climbed into our sleeping bags with dreams of Mickey Mouse when, SUDDENLY, out of seemingly nowhere, we began to hear music - LOUD music!! We had no idea what it was. That turned out to be our introduction to the Electrical Water Parade which we actually saw later in the trip. By the way, from my memory, the music played much more loudly back then than it does now as we were quite some distance from the beach area and the sound just blasted through us!

mickclub1955
02-16-2012, 08:52 PM
I was three in May 1972 almost 4. We got to Kissimmee a day early and it was late in the day so we drove to the entry Plaza where it says Magic Kingdom today (Then it said Walt Disney World) to make sure we knew where we would be going the next day. We were going to stay at the Poly. That is my first memory of Walt Disney World. I remember our room at the Poly with the buttons on the wall behind the bed. I remember crying on Snow White's Scarey Adventures and I remember the Tea Cups. I kind of remember The Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World and the Admiral Joe Fowler Riverboat.

HackLaSalle
02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I was 5 or 6 I remember figment and the rainbow bridge and being creeped out on iasw.

Dopey's Girl
02-16-2012, 09:12 PM
I was 8 and remember the ferry ride over...I was so amazed! I also remember meeting cinderella. She was coming out of the tunnel near the enchanted grove (they have story time there now). She was just coming out for a greet and stopped and spent at least 5 mins with us. She was really great. As she started to walk away, my 4 yr old brother said "I really love you Cinderella.". It was so sweet!

SBETigg
02-16-2012, 09:24 PM
I was 12, 1981. We arrived for our first visit to the Magic Kingdom just as the Easter Parade was coming along Main Street. It was a wonderful first impression. Magic! I was hooked.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-16-2012, 10:40 PM
I was 24 and as we walked into Disneyland, I remember the beautiful mickey design in the flowers at the front gate and having a picture taken there with my fiance.

Melanie
02-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I was 13 on my first trip - 1983, and then we returned again in 1984. I know I've talked about this before, but my memories from those trips are from Epcot only. I don't remember anything from Magic Kingdom, which is so strange. My vivid memories are eating at San Angel, posing by the waterfall before going into O Canada, and those big creepy 'dolls' that used to hang about the World Showcase.

My first memories of Magic Kingdom are when I went to WDW during my college spring breaks in the early 90s. Specifically the Skyway is a huge memory.

SBETigg
02-16-2012, 10:58 PM
My first memories of Magic Kingdom are when I went to WDW during my college spring breaks in the early 90s. Specifically the Skyway is a huge memory.

Ah, there's a story there. You had an adventure on the Skyway... sorry, channeling Eleanor Lavish. I just watched A Room with a View again. :blush:

Niecyboo
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
I visited Disneyland several times as a child/teen, but my first trip to WDW was as an adult in 2000. My DH and girls hadn't ever been to a Disney park and hadn't done any research so they were clueless as to what they were going to be doing. We flew in late in the day and were a bit tired and grumpy but had the old "Length of Stay" passes so we decided to head to Epcot for dinner then head back to the room. We grabbed food at Tangerine Cafe and sat down outside. Just as we started eating, the old Tapestry of Nations parade started. It was such a magical moment, and set the tone for the entire trip. Even my DH who was 3 at the time remembers that parade and the entire family was hooked from that moment on.

RAIDER
02-17-2012, 03:03 AM
It was over 20 years ago ,but my main memory will always be hitting the gates of WDW at the place were you have to pay for your parking ticket and thinking " Ive finally made it "
Other main memory was hitting Epcot and seeing the great big "Golf Ball " as i always called it when i was younger up close :thumbsup:

Park wise was the Dumbo ride looking at it from afar and watching the monorail riding through Epcot and being amazed

darthmacho
02-17-2012, 07:46 AM
I have a very clear picture of my first visit to WDW because I was 27 years old, and we have a plethora of pictures and video to help me recall the memories, not to mention that I haven't shut up about it since! :mickey:

As for my first memory, I distinctly recall passing through the WDW welcome sign, the gateway to the Wilderness Lodge, walking into the lobby, hearing the music, and so forth.

My first park experience was Magic Kingdom, and we started with Space Mountain, but if we had the time, I could probably go over what we did step-by-step for that entire first day at the park. :mickey:

Bay Lake
02-17-2012, 08:26 AM
It was 1976, I was 5 years old but I have a few key memories of that first trip. One was the Bi-Centennial parade and they had a big flag float. Next would be standing on the Contemporary rooms balcony looking at Bay Lake. Now I can relive those and many more when I go back in 3 weeks.

c&d
02-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I was 20 and I was down visiting a college friend and we decided to go to Disney for the day, it was only MK back then. The one thing I really remember is HM. It was the ride that we went on a couple of times and each time we were trying to figure out how they did that, especially the dining room scene. It was just magical.

wdwfansince75
02-17-2012, 09:03 AM
That first trip, in July of 1975, was special in many ways. DW and I discovered we were expecting our fourth (DS#2) on our way home...but the trip had many other highlights. The (then) 5 of us, plus DW's parents, drove down from Gambrills, MD....all 7 of us in a Chrysler Newport...with Hawaii tags....The first image that comes to mind every time we return was our initial views of the Contemporary and the monorail, and as we approached, the boat to Fort Wilderness crossed the road!

Back then, there was a daily brunch at the Top of the World, the resturant where Cali Grill now sits. We became known as "The Bacon Family," as our kids made extra trips to the buffet just for crispy bacon...they still claim it was the best bacon they ever had.

In the park itself, the image that comes back was the first view of the castle. Our kids still remember that first view, and the first walk up Main Street. Not sure what our first ride was that trip, but we did Pirates early that day, and several more times that day.

DMiL and DD#2 (then 5) discovered "If You Had Wings," and over the 3 day trip, did it at least 5 times a day. The rest of us rode everything...except the canoes. Although DD's rode it on later trips, I think the canoes remains the only MK attraction I never experienced.

Mickey'sGirl
02-17-2012, 09:15 AM
I don't remember my first trip (in 1971), but I do remember my second trip when I was 4 (in 1973). I remember standing in the archway under Cindy's castle with my sister and my Grandmother (who was heat adverse :blush:), and then Grandma taking us to buy a toy because we were being such good girls. My sister got a stuffed Marie (which she still has) and I got a stuffed Dale (which I still have). I don't know where my brothers were.

ChipNDale79
02-17-2012, 11:26 AM
I was 3 in 1982 when I went for the first time, I don't really remember that much about the trip but I do remember at a character breakfast Pluto putting my sister's head in his mouth.

One thing I don't remember, but have been reminded of quite a few times of, we stopped at a McDonald's on the way down that had a playground. My parents told us it was time to go as we needed to get to Disney World, i pitched a fit because I didnt want to leave the playground even though I was about to go WDW.:mickey:

kakn7294
02-17-2012, 12:34 PM
My first Disney memory is from when I was 6 years old and I can remember is my sister who was not quite 2 years old yet being in her orange and yellow flowered vinyl stroller (you know, those old '70's strollers!) and crying at Mickey Mouse.

MOJoe
02-17-2012, 02:35 PM
My very first memory of WDW is the announcement of it's construction. I remember the headline "It's Orlando" in huge print, on the cover of the Memphis Commercial Appeal.
The memories of my first visit include, waiting impatiently in the lobby of the Contemporary for my parents and grandmother to get ready and out of the room. I remember being enthralled with the loading area in Space Mountain. And disappointed when i was required to remove my glasses before riding. 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, The Skyway and oddly enough, the Country Bears also remain in my memories.

WDW-Geek
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I was very young, but I remember the car pulling up to the Epcot entrance and my parents asking the cast member handing out the parking passes if I'd (pointing to me in the back seat) would "get anything out of it." I remember the cast member was hesitant, but said there were things for smaller kids in the park.

Anyway, that's all I remember, so I'm not sure if I "got anything out of it." :mickey:

crltkcagle
02-19-2012, 09:25 PM
Kitchen Kabaret! I don't know why that stuck in my memories but it is my first memory of Disney World. My first trip was in the 80's and I can remember singing veggie veggie fruit fruit all the way home to Louisiana! LOL

ryca1dreams
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Of WDW as a whole - it would be walking into the lobby of the Poly and thinking how exotic it was.

Of the parks (MK was the only one) - it would be looking at the ticket book and trying to figure out where to go first. Turned out to be "If You Had Wings" because it didn't need a ticket.

Auroring Good Time
02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
I went the first year Disney opened (dating myself here). I was very small and don't remember much. I do remember my Dad holding me in the stretching room at Haunted Mansion and being afraid.

Quadstriker
02-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Very first memory?

Pulling the rental car into Pop Century, and the lighting on the 2nd P in "pop" was burned out. I was trying to figure out if that was intentional or not.

Since it was fixed on the next trip, I guess the answer to that was NO.

Bethis26fan
02-20-2012, 12:15 PM
My first trip wasn't until i was 26 and we checked in a movies and i saw that big Christmas tree and just thought this is going to be awesome (I'm a big christmas nut)

The main thing when i think my first disney trip was at our first park DHS I was in line w/ my 2 cousins in line for R&R and we were all giddy like we were teenagers again and just a lot of laughing there is even a gross picture of showing food in our mouth. lol

SBETigg
02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Back then, there was a daily brunch at the Top of the World, the resturant where Cali Grill now sits. We became known as "The Bacon Family," as our kids made extra trips to the buffet just for crispy bacon...they still claim it was the best bacon they ever had.

I loved Top of the World. On our first trip, we did the Broadway at the Top dinner show there. For many years, I kept the silver matchbook with silver tipped matches as a souvenir. That was back when they had ashtrays with matches on every table. Wow. I feel old.

stitchingirl
02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
I was 21 when I experienced Disney for the first time. I was in boot camp for the US Navy, and the day after our company graduated, we had a whole day of liberty, to go and do whatever we wanted, but had to be in our white uniforms, and had to be back by midnight. Being Orlando, I chose to go to MK for the day. I remember very clearly standing on the steps going up to the castle and jostling for space to see the parade. Don't know what the parade was in February of 1993, but I remember taking a picture of a very tall, very large Donald Duck float. I also remember thinking that I *had* to bring my baby girl here when she got older. :cloud9:

MrPeetrie
02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
In 1976, my parents took me and my sister to Disneyland. It was the first time ANY of us had been to a Disney park. We were all blown away. We couldn't stop talking about the effects in The Haunted Mansion and the audioanimatronics in Pirates of the Caribbean. We also couldn't get over how fast they handled the lines. We were truly amazed.

In 1977, we went to Florida to see some relatives. We decided to spend an afternoon in the Magicc Kingdom. It rained. It was crowded. And the whole time, my mom kept repeating "Disneyland has this beat." we only rode three rides. We did not enjoy ourselves.

I wouldn't return I eiher park until 1999, this time with my wife. She had NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE DISNEY. My memory was the look on her face throughout the entire trip. She couldn't believe someone actually built his place. When we returned, we started planning for the next trip and have been returning ever since.

brownie
02-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Going into Epcot through the International Gateway and eating cottage pie for dinner at the Rose & Crown. Of course, I was 23 when I first went to Walt Disney World.

Belle--86
02-22-2012, 10:38 PM
My first memory of WDW was marching in the Main Street afternoon Prade in 10 th Grade.:mickey:

E-OR
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
My first memory of WDW was after checkng in to our room, it was about 11:00 pm, and our family walked out of the lobby @ ASsports and saw the pool, large icons, and buildings all lit up. It was and AHHH moment. The other was was our first day at WDW. We went to EPCOT and were amazed by the ball when you walk in.

mrte62
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
The week before Easter 1973. My parents pulled my sister, brother and me from school for 2 1/2 days for a two week trip to Florida. My dad wondering all the drive down from Jersey if a campground could possibly be worth $12.50 a night. Shore campgrounds were getting $4.50 a night back then.

Monday morning getting on the tram to the ferry to MK. Very first attraction - Haunted Mansion.

When my mom pulled out pictures from that trip - we all remembered and sang the same song - "If you had wings". It was my Dad's all time favorite.

BTW - he thought teh $12.50 was a great deal. :mickey:

Janmac
02-23-2012, 03:12 PM
My first trip to Disney World was in January of 1974, as an adult, tho I have absolutely no recollection of driving on property or how we got into the Magic Kingdom. I don't remember any rides or shows, just standing somewhere - probably Main Street - trying to make sense of the map while one kid hollered to go to it's a small world and another kid hollered for something else - maybe Jungle Cruise (sorry, seems I've forgotten that, too!). Talk about sensory overload!

I was so miserable because the weather was HOT and my hands and feet were swelling, the kids were fussy.

It was 4 years before we went back but I think we had a better time - tho I don't have any memories of that visit. We wound up visiting at least a half dozen times in the 80s.

Jan

Minnie_Mouse
02-23-2012, 07:01 PM
On My first trip, i stayed at POP Century, and my first thought was "Wow! everything is so huge!" i guess everything is bigger and better in disney!:mickey:

Wolf
02-28-2012, 04:14 PM
My first memory is walking in EPCOT with my Mom, Aunt and Cousin and watching the fountain going in synch with the music, I remember me and my Mom just stood there drop jawed for like the entire show...Later we watched Illuminations, its still 8 trips later my all time favorite show in WDW

Cinderelley
02-29-2012, 02:05 AM
My first memory?
Well, the first night of our first trip, my then husband and I got into a huge fight. Then we had to wait 2 hours past our adr time to eat at O'hana's. My whole family was exhausted by the time we made it back to Pop Century.

My first good memory?

The next morning when we woke up, there were these huge birds just outside our door. I whipped out the camera, but it was so humid, the pictures were foggy. The kids and I were laughing so hard at my attempts to get pictures of these birds that I will never forget that moment.

MushuGrl
03-04-2012, 10:53 AM
I was 28 when I took my first WDW trip - my sister (who'd been to MK before) and I went with my best friends (WDW veterans) and their son, who was...six or seven I believe. We'd gotten together with another friend who'd just returned from Disney the week before, and all they talked about was "Main Street...it really looks like it does on the commercials."

So after a brief stay at St. Augustine, we arrive. We get to MK, and my friends take a left and head up to the train station. I get on top of the platform, look down and...dang they're right! At that moment, I turned five again, and every trip since, the train station is my first stop, and the transformation begins again.

Pop Centurion
03-04-2012, 02:52 PM
My first memory is vague but I remember the TA made a mistake with our ressie at the Dolphin so they upgraded us to a better room with a balcony view of Epcot as well as the Boardwalk resort. Beautiful view at night.

One highlight that really stands out though was the night we went back to our room early & decided to watch IROE from the balcony. My wife (then GF) opened the door to step out to the balcony & screamed OMG!!!!. When I looked out there was a HUGE white eagle perched on the rail just staring at us. By the time I got my camera he swooped away.

RavsRuleDisney!
03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
many great memories still stay with me from my family's first trip in '73 as a 9 year old - the first ride i remember (and i make a point to make it first ride with the DW and DS' on our trips) is the tommorowland speedway with my dad. at age 9 those cars sure seemed to be zipping along! also remember a serious florida monsoon exiting hoop de do review, my HM skeleton/ghost picture from the magic shop, waiting at the front of the monorail line at CR and sprinting to the cars, running the hallways of the contemporary garden wing - North one i believe....and i think i remember they were building SM which i thought looked pretty cool

RavsRuleDisney!
03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
many great memories still stay with me from my family's first trip in '73 as a 9 year old - the first ride i remember (and i make a point to make it first ride with the DW and DS' on our trips) is the tommorowland speedway with my dad. at age 9 those cars sure seemed to be zipping along! also remember a serious florida monsoon exiting hoop de do review, my HM skeleton/ghost picture from the magic shop, waiting at the front of the monorail line at CR and sprinting to the cars, running the hallways of the contemporary garden wing - North one i believe....and i think i remember they were building SM which i thought looked pretty cool

OK, my younger DS (10) wanted to chime in. He remembers his traumatic experiences with the super-scary Splash Mtn! :thumbsup:
Probably because he had visions of the big drop seared in his little 6 year old head, he balked at the last minute, crying up a fearful storm. When we finally got him and his older DS on the ride later in the trip, he loved it and is now his favorite.

ANG
03-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Eating at the Maya Grill. DH and I honeymooned at WDW and it was our first time going. We stayed at CS. That first dinner was terrific. Even if the food wasn't super special, the moment was.

Jim&AngieMarriner
03-05-2012, 09:34 AM
At that moment, I turned five again, and every trip since, the train station is my first stop, and the transformation begins again.

Intercot needs a LIKE button just for comments like that. :thumbsup:

Aurora
03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
I love reading all these. :mickey:

My first visit was 1977 or '78 (I was a teenager) and we did a big Florida trip with my family -- St. Augustine, Busch Gardens and Disney. Most of our stay was offsite, but we were able to stay one night at the Contemporary tower.

I'll never forget the monorail driving inside the building. We watched it from inside and outside in amazement and wondered how they could ever do that. We loved the cavernous atrium and the South American mosaic wall.

And, we had a Magic Kingdom view, so in the morning we woke up and saw the castle outside our window. We were not well off, so I'll always remember how my dad was so generous to spring for a night there for us.

antngoof89
03-06-2012, 03:31 AM
My first trip was as a young kid, only about 5 years old and it was during Christmas time. I remember having dinner at Cinderella's Restaurant and us celebrating my Mom's b-day there, but what I distinctly remember is the old Lion King Attraction in the Magic Kingdom. Other than that, I don't remember anything except how cool it was to "see Mufasa talk in person."

DisneyOtaku
03-11-2012, 01:32 PM
I can't remember how old I was with my first Disney memory, since I've been going since I was 6 mths old (God bless living in Florida), but the thing I remember first is watching the fireworks at MK, seeing Tink fly down, and being pushed out of the park at the end in my stroller.

CuteAsMinnie
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
My DH and were married for about two years and he was sooooo excited to take me on MY FIRST trip to WDW. We had a lovely room at CBR/Jamaca with a pretty garden view. We drove down in our cool little Escort and as soon as we stepped into our room, we found the bus stop and boarded the Mickey bus! We walked into MK at dusk and I remember seeing Main Street and the Castle and All the lights and my DH looking at me and the tears just came! Magical! I know we saw the Tiki Room (original) first cuz that's what his family always did first. Then we heard the Electrical Parade from the distance and we RAN to Main Street Bakery, grabbed a Tollhouse ice cream cookie sandwich and watched the parade. We were solo excited :mickey: and here we are 25 years later and it's still our most Magical Vacation.
:cloud9:

Disney-4-Me
03-11-2012, 05:23 PM
I remember being impressed by all of the animatronic presidents in the Hall of Presidents.

LVT
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
1st trip to WDW was as a parent with 2 sons. We went into Magic Kingdom and I stopped by the partners bench and cried about the the main street/ castle view. I am sure my sons were perplexed.

iluvdumbo
03-12-2012, 09:31 AM
On my first trip to WDW, I remember sitting on my grandfather's lap on the Liberty Square Riverboat. I was four years old then.