PDA

View Full Version : Noise at New Dumbo Location from Tomorrowland Speedway?

HiHoKermitTheFrogHere
02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
I was just looking at some recent in-progress photos of the New Fantasyland construction. Now that the tent and queue structure of the new Dumbo location appears to be built and visible, I noticed that part of it is directly adjacent to part of the Tomorrowland Speedway track.

Dumbo has always been a pleasant attraction with carnival-like music and ambience. To be blunt, the Tomorrowland Speedway is loud and smells like gasoline. Does anyone know whether there will be any sort of sound barrier to keep Dumbo sounding serene and child-like in its new location as opposed to hearing the "vroom vroom" of the Tomorrowland Speedway cars while in queue and on the ride at the new Dumbo location?

darthmacho
02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know the answer, but that's a great point. I suppose they'll drown it out with barriers, ride music, and background noise from the other circus elements. I wonder if it will work 100% though.

I still find it a little sad that there won't be the traditional view of the castle while riding it, though I'm not entirely a traditionalist and am open to change at WDW. if it is for the better.

HackLaSalle
02-15-2012, 11:46 PM
It'd be nice if Tomorrowland Speedway was next on the chopping block. I think Tomorrowland needs the next big refurb as a whole but goodness the Speedway serves little to no purpose.

LudwigVonDrake
02-16-2012, 06:24 AM
My guess is that they'll use a buffer of trees or some sort of wall that will (hopefully) block any noise.

Melanie
02-16-2012, 07:11 AM
but goodness the Speedway serves little to no purpose.

Couldn't disagree more! Definitely agree with it needing a refurb, but to take away something that brings many, many children joy and excitement when they get to 'drive' would be a shame.

I see the potential of what the OP describes. You can see how close the two attractions are in the photo below. But I have confidence Disney will do what it does best and they will make sure everything flows seamlessly. The area where that construction wall is located is prime for buffer trees.

I too, like DarthMacho, am a bit sad that the Dumbo experience that we've all known is no more, but I'm sure new memories will be made with the new set up.

Joannelet
02-16-2012, 07:18 AM
I hope they never get rid of the speedway! Especially now as a mommy of two boys! My 3 year old loves this ride and I got to see my dad ride it with my son this time. I remember riding it with my Dad and being soooo excited to drive myself!

With that being said I am sure they will find a way to drown out the noise. I too am upset that we won't be viewing the castle from the new dumbo ride. But it is my sons favorite ride and it carries so many memories for me so I guess I am just grateful that they aren't taking it away.

HackLaSalle
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I wish it was closer to the Autotopias its based off of. As currently constructed with all the gasoline smell and noise I feel that it does more harm than good. A refurb would be great but man that's a lot of land to put in a new E-Ticket.

Melanie
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I wish it was closer to the Autotopias its based off of. As currently constructed with all the gasoline smell and noise I feel that it does more harm than good. A refurb would be great but man that's a lot of land to put in a new E-Ticket.

But to my kids, it IS an E-ticket. That's my point. But yes, the Autopia's (particularly Hong Kong) are so much better themed/constructed. Again, I'm all for a refurb.

LoriSan
02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
But to my kids, it IS an E-ticket.

My son's favorite too. He'd be heartbroken if it went away.

EeyoresBestFriend
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
But to my kids, it IS an E-ticket. That's my point. But yes, the Autopia's (particularly Hong Kong) are so much better themed/constructed. Again, I'm all for a refurb.

I'm with you! CARS . . . . come on ~ it's seriously a no brainer . . . . refurb and a Cars theme!!! Sheesh . . . . :scratch:

floridamom
02-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm with you! CARS . . . . come on ~ it's seriously a no brainer . . . . refurb and a Cars theme!!! Sheesh . . . . :scratch:

So true. My kids (both girls) also love this ride, but I would love an update.

TheVBs
02-17-2012, 02:29 PM
Our girls love the Speedway too! But I agree, a refurb would be welcome. :mickey:

minnie-mouse
02-17-2012, 05:25 PM
It'd be nice if Tomorrowland Speedway was next on the chopping block. I think Tomorrowland needs the next big refurb as a whole but goodness the Speedway serves little to no purpose.

I wish so much that they would make the tomorrow speedway a Cars theme. How cool would that be if you could drive around Mater or McQueen?

stitchingirl
02-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Sorry to temporarily hijack this, but I am having trouble understanding the schematics of this (and I've been to MK so many times I've lost count). Dumbos and whatever that is being constructed in that photo are plainly visible from the TSpeedway, and if that's the case, then shouldn't Dumbo and say, the Mermaid ride, or the 7 Dwarfs ride or the Beast's castle be directly opposite Cosmic Ray's and Star Traders? Or maybe just adjacent to? It seems there is some overlap between the theming of the different lands. I just don't see how they're going to pull this one off, short of renaming and re-doing Cosmic Ray's. :confused:

Eric87
02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
I wish so much that they would make the tomorrow speedway a Cars theme. How cool would that be if you could drive around Mater or McQueen?

I definitely agree with suggesting a refurb, but how does a Cars theme corralate with tomorrow? Can't we do something with cars of the future? Maybe electric? It's bad enough Buzz and Monsters has nothing to do with the tomorrow theme. Let's take it back providing an outlook to the future, even if it's only a few years out. Or, just rename the entire land if they're no longer going to make attractions for this theme. Sorry to get away from the op.

Stu29573
02-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I agree that Cars has nothing to do with Tomorrowland. If anything, Cars is retro. It just doesn't fit!

MickeysBestPal
02-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Just a giant, "I don't care in the least" if attractions don't fit the name/theme of the land.

I just don't.

As long as the facade is a design fit, I don't care what the attraction represents.

Virtually every ride operating in Tomorrowland is a non-sequitur in regard to "the future."

What IS "the Future" these days, anyway?

Smaller screens on Ipads?
Larger screens on iPhones?
More internal processors with faster speeds?

And-

Does Tinker Bell fit Adventureland?
Does Ariel fit Adventureland?

Do I want them removed?

I just don't care.

There. I said it.

Stu29573
02-19-2012, 11:15 AM
And I DO care.
There, I said it. :D

Melanie
02-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Sorry to temporarily hijack this, but I am having trouble understanding the schematics of this (and I've been to MK so many times I've lost count). Dumbos and whatever that is being constructed in that photo are plainly visible from the TSpeedway, and if that's the case, then shouldn't Dumbo and say, the Mermaid ride, or the 7 Dwarfs ride or the Beast's castle be directly opposite Cosmic Ray's and Star Traders? Or maybe just adjacent to? It seems there is some overlap between the theming of the different lands. I just don't see how they're going to pull this one off, short of renaming and re-doing Cosmic Ray's. :confused:

I think it flows well. What you are seeing in that photo is the dueling Dumbo area only. They have built two tents (which are the queue areas), one for each Dumbo. This is the old Toontown area.

Ariel's Undersea Adventure, the new 7 Dwarfs mine coaster and Belle's Castle area all span the area directly in front of Pooh down to the Carousel. Does that make sense?

Ian
02-19-2012, 12:34 PM
I wish it was closer to the Autotopias its based off of. As currently constructed with all the gasoline smell and noise I feel that it does more harm than good.Kind of a strange sentiment. How in the world does a theme park attraction enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of children year after year do any "harm?"

You personally may not like it, but there's lots of stuff I don't like in WDW either (like Fantasmic, for example) but I certainly wouldn't condemn them as "harmful" and advocate for their removal. I understand that some people find them enjoyable and I'd prefer they stay so those folks can continue to derive pleasure from them.

That's one of the things I love about WDW. There's something for everyone.

Scar
02-19-2012, 12:43 PM
I agree that Cars has nothing to do with Tomorrowland. If anything, Cars is retro. It just doesn't fit!Automobiles that are alive is retro? I think I missed that era. ;)

Stu29573
02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Automobiles that are alive is retro? I think I missed that era. ;)

Sure! Remember My Mother the Car?:thumbsup:i

Scar
02-19-2012, 09:46 PM
No. And from what I've heard, It's a good thing I don't remember. :D

HackLaSalle
02-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Kind of a strange sentiment. How in the world does a theme park attraction enjoyed by hundreds of thousands of children year after year do any "harm?"

The gasoline usage/pollution is definitely doing harm. There's no reason they shouldn't have electric vehicles in there. I don't think the ride itself is doing any harm and seeing how people defend it I think maybe I'm missing the boat. I just think the noise/pollution smell needs to be toned down.

Stu29573
02-19-2012, 10:53 PM
No. And from what I've heard, It's a good thing I don't remember. :D

Ok, good point.....

MickeysBestPal
02-20-2012, 11:00 AM
The gasoline usage/pollution is definitely doing harm.

It's OK if you don't like the attraction, but "harm" is a bit strong a term.

The usage of fuel in this attraction is insignificant compared to the amount of fuel used by guests' cars in the MK parking lot on any given day.

The commerce and livelihood of the globe runs in concert with the internal combustion engine.

The Tommorowland Speedway is not even an asterisk at the bottom of a secondary footnote about energy consumption.

BTW, where does the energy come from to run dozens of electric cars ?

dizneydeb22
02-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Ian...I think the OP meant environmental harm. But I'm just guessing.
As a parent of a special needs child that gets a lot of enjoyment from the Speedway, I think an update would be nice...and quite frankly, if talking cars driving themselves doesn't relate to the future, what does?? LOL!:blush: