PDA

View Full Version : Episode 29 - That's A Lot Of Shuffleboard

John
02-14-2012, 11:30 PM
INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast
Thats a Lot of Shuffleboard
Episode 29

The Cast: Mel, John, Ian, Gary, Carol

- Castmember beards and casual Fridays. Mel will be on mustache watch.

- Cruise Line news - unfortunately, some of it is horribly incorrect in this part of the show. *We will get it straight after the break. No, the Europe cruises do not leave from Florida, and the Alaskan cruise does not leave from Seattle.

- Disney Premier Visa - new card will have an annual fee. 8 designs.

- Ian kills his router and forces an unexpected reboot.

- Electric Umbrella. Gary wants to know why the restaurant stinks so bad now.

- We correct our missteps Cruise wise.

- INTERCOT Best Of Parades. Carol misses Tapestry of Nations. Melanie says BOO TO YOU! Ian is a fan of Spectromagic. Gary goes for the Main Street Electrical Parade. John goes with the hipster choice of the Bicentennial Parade from 1976.

- The INTERCOT 15th Anniversary boards are up. *Join in the fun and plan your trip.

- One of our members actually made a Flight of Meatloaf. *John and Ian are upset that beef was not included.

- Star Wars weekends announced May 18 - June 10.

- Universal announcements. New Spiderman updates, water show, parade, Despicable Me, new Blue Man Show and more.

- Gary the squirrel and Ponce DeLe Squarepants

>> Download, Listen, Love... (http://intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-29.asp)

Melanie
02-15-2012, 06:58 AM
Cruise Line news - unfortunately, some of it is horribly incorrect in this part of the show. *We will get it straight after the break. No, the Europe cruises do not leave from Florida, and the Alaskan cruise does not leave from Seattle.

:blush::hide:

And that's all I've got to say about that!

Ian
02-15-2012, 03:10 PM
:shake:

Dopey's Girl
02-15-2012, 03:12 PM
Just have to say that I stinking love listening to you all! I usually listen at work, so it's a nice little Disney break in the middle of my work day. I crack up a lot, and then have to try to explain to my cubemates what the heck is so funny. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

darthmacho
02-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Just have to say that I stinking love listening to you all! I usually listen at work, so it's a nice little Disney break in the middle of my work day. I crack up a lot, and then have to try to explain to my cubemates what the heck is so funny. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

I listen in work too, and my co-workers now all wonder why I smile and laugh to myself. :blush:

Disney Hungarian
02-15-2012, 06:26 PM
So sad when I listened to part 2. Was excited to cruise from Miami to Croatia. That would have given me time to contemplate "42" ( "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything".) :thumbsup:

Melanie
02-15-2012, 07:02 PM
So sad when I listened to part 2. Was excited to cruise from Miami to Croatia. That would have given me time to contemplate "42" ( "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything".) :thumbsup:

Heh. :hide:

Disney Hungarian
02-15-2012, 07:09 PM
Heh. :hide:
A reference to the Douglas Adams "Hitchhiker guide to the Galaxy."

From wikipedia:
"The number 42 is, in the novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, "The Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything", and is calculated by an enormous supercomputer over a period of 7.5 million years to be 42. Unfortunately no one knows what the question is. Thus, to calculate the Ultimate Question, a special computer the size of a small planet and using organic components was created and named "Earth".

Was tongue in cheek and yes, I am a nerd.

Dopey's Girl
02-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I listen in work too, and my co-workers now all wonder why I smile and laugh to myself. :blush:

So glad I'm not alone! I'm really beginning to think they think I'm nuts! Once I get the giggles it's hard to stop!

Melanie
02-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Darth, you're going to feel the love in Episode 30. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
02-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Haven't finished listening yet, but just had to jump in and say I LOVE "The Prime". It's awesome. I agree with Gary and John...who needs to actually go to a store anymore???

Everyone should have The Prime. I did the free trial and used it for all my Christmas shopping. WELL worth the $79/year! And, you get instant tv/movies, etc. similar to Netflix. :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
02-16-2012, 08:24 AM
So glad I'm not alone! I'm really beginning to think they think I'm nuts! Once I get the giggles it's hard to stop!

Haha I do the same thing! Thankfully only DBF works upstairs with me and only a few techs are in and out once in a while so not everyone thinks I'm crazy yet lol. I get the giggles too when I listen and DBF will come to my office and go, listening to the podcast?

Melanie
02-16-2012, 08:33 AM
But I get the giggles too when I listen!!!

Me too! :D :blush:

MO-5
02-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Totally cracking up after the break and the corrections to all the cruise information. Classic! Trying to fit the Intercot meeting into my schedule in Oct! Fingers crossed.

dpamac
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM

Never travel without your towel.

BriarRose0708
02-16-2012, 04:48 PM
Another awesome Podcast! I am with Ian that SpectroMagic is my favorite parade :mickey:

I agree with the gang about the 10th anniversary, the meet & greet and Illuminations viewing was really the signature event of the weekend. I hope it can happen again!

diz_girl
02-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Thank you for the gigglefest that was Episode 29. I get lots of strange looks at work too when I laugh while listening to the Podcast.

Now I'm considering the Prime. I wouldn't have considered it when I lived in NJ, but now that I'm in Bugtussle, it takes much longer to get any store and I'm doing more of my shopping online.

A shout out to Gary for naming my favorite parade, the MSEP. I too, purchased a recording of it, on cassette, and I'm not sure where it is. It's either still in my parents' house or in a box somewhere in my house, yet to be unboxed from the move. I was thrilled that I got to see the parade again in November after all of the years of going to WDW and it not being there. BTW - I thought that DH would hate the music when he heard it, but he actually liked it and said that it reminded him of ELP.

dpamac
02-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Now I'm considering the Prime. I wouldn't have considered it when I lived in NJ, but now that I'm in Bugtussle, it takes much longer to get any store and I'm doing more of my shopping online.

That's not a real place. That's a cartoon town, right? Otherwise I'm imagining some guy looking for a place to set up his town, sees two bugs fighting in a field and say, "Well, this must be the place."

Melanie
02-17-2012, 08:35 PM
That's not a real place. That's a cartoon town, right? Otherwise I'm imagining some guy looking for a place to set up his town, sees two bugs fighting in a field and say, "Well, this must be the place."

I thought the same thing Gary! Well, not the funny scenario you mentioned, but what a unique name that was for a town.

Disney Hungarian
02-17-2012, 08:48 PM
Bugtussle is the hometown of the Clampetts on the Beverly Hillbillies.
I am racking up my nerd points this week. :thumbsup:

Quadstriker
02-19-2012, 04:00 PM
When you live out in the middle of the desert like me, sometimes it's faster to order something from The Prime than to go out yourself to get it.

wildernesslady
02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
I just finished listening. Thanks for another great podcast. Can we start a petition to bring back Tapestry of Nations? It was the best.

Melanie
02-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Can we start a petition to bring back Tapestry of Nations? It was the best.

I wish! I think it was John or Ian who mentioned though how the World Showcase just isn't really conducive to a parade, which is a shame. :(

dpamac
02-20-2012, 06:36 PM
When you live out in the middle of the desert like me, sometimes it's faster to order something from The Prime than to go out yourself to get it.

The point of Prime is to never leave your house. In fact I'm running out of Fruity Pebbles. By Weds. a man will bring me Fruity Pebbles and I'll never have to do anything more than exactly what I'm doing now. It's a "Win/who cares what any one else gets" situation.

With Netflix Instant, Prime and pizza delivery all's good. Now if only someone would deliver beer.

BrerGnat
02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Now if only someone would deliver beer.

If you lived in California, you could have beer shipped to you from BevMo.

California is awesome...

*sigh*

BrerGnat
02-20-2012, 07:09 PM
The point of Prime is to never leave your house. In fact I'm running out of Fruity Pebbles. By Weds. a man will bring me Fruity Pebbles and I'll never have to do anything more than exactly what I'm doing now. It's a "Win/who cares what any one else gets" situation.

Funny you should mention that. My sister is an AVID fan of Count Chocula cereal. She gets her "fix" by ordering it via Amazon when it's not in the stores around Halloween. She gets it by the case.

The Prime is the best thing to happen to internet shopping.

Melanie
02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Funny you should mention that. My sister is an AVID fan of Count Chocula cereal. She gets her "fix" by ordering it via Amazon when it's not in the stores around Halloween. She gets it by the case.

But, but, but....is it cheaper than the store? Say cheaper than what we can get at the commissary (because honestly, cereal is one of the biggest bargains at the commissary)? I thought Gary was kidding about the cereal. lol!

You guys all speak so highly of "THE PRIME". I'm just trying to justify it past the free trial.

And yeah, when is the Prime going to become an official sponsor of the Insider Live? :D

Melanie
02-20-2012, 07:20 PM

California is awesome...

*sigh*

It's not forever. You can move back. I get it, as we'll probably find ourselves back here in Florida eventually.

dpamac
02-20-2012, 08:05 PM

California is awesome...

*sigh*

Hi-Time Wine Cellars delivers in Missouri. But I get in trouble when I buy from them because I buy really expensive beers...

BriarRose0708
02-20-2012, 08:46 PM

The Prime is the best thing to happen to internet shopping.

I feel so bad for your sister! Where I live you can get Count Chocula year round, not just at Halloween. I couldn't imagine a place where Count Chocula is available once a year!!!! :drama:

Quadstriker
02-20-2012, 11:47 PM

With Netflix Instant, Prime and pizza delivery all's good. Now if only someone would deliver beer.

I'm training the dog to go out for beer. If it proves effective, I'll put together a training youtube video for Finnegan.

BrerGnat
02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
But, but, but....is it cheaper than the store? Say cheaper than what we can get at the commissary (because honestly, cereal is one of the biggest bargains at the commissary)? I thought Gary was kidding about the cereal. lol!

You guys all speak so highly of "THE PRIME". I'm just trying to justify it past the free trial.

And yeah, when is the Prime going to become an official sponsor of the Insider Live? :D

Well, Mel. I can say with much confidence that Amazon (when items are sold directly from Amazon) is cheaper than retail almost all the time. In addition, no tax. We have bought several things from Amazon when they have turned out cheaper than from the Exchange on base, for example. Whenever we are about to buy anything nowadays, we get on Amazon from our smartphone, and price compare. MANY times, Amazon is the way to go.

Lego sets are a HUGE one. We buy a LOT of them for our boys. Amazon averages $5-15 cheaper than anywhere retail, add in no tax and free two day shipping and it's a no brainer.

I saved over $50 on Christmas gifts this year by buying them on Amazon rather than in stores.

And, when we see Count Chocula at the Commissary, it is cheaper than the Amazon cases. My husband bought 13 boxes one time. We kept one, and shipped my sister the other 12. :D But, the Commissary doesn't always have Count Chocula either.

I have found, at least locally, that the Commissary is on par, price wise, with Super Target. Ever since the Commissary started with the "fee" tacked on at the end, in lieu of taxes, the savings are negated, for the most part. We went to the Commissary once since we moved here. The savings just aren't there enough to justify the 40 min drive over there.

Melanie
02-21-2012, 09:31 AM
I have found, at least locally, that the Commissary is on par, price wise, with Super Target. Ever since the Commissary started with the "fee" tacked on at the end, in lieu of taxes, the savings are negated, for the most part. We went to the Commissary once since we moved here. The savings just aren't there enough to justify the 40 min drive over there.

Don't want to get this way OT, but I'm one you'll find hard to convince the Commissary isn't a deal. Just the price savings on cereal, chips, bread, dairy, meat, etc. is enough for me. Now the Exchange is a totally different story. Absolutely no value there. I'll have to check more into the Prime and see if it would be a benefit to us. We do buy a lot of electronics, but otherwise not sure what else we would purchase. Unfortunately they don't sell tickets to sporting events or jerseys, do they? ;)

AgentC
02-21-2012, 10:41 AM
I did a free trial on Prime and it was okay, but I didn't have the love for it that so many do. Maybe I'll look again. Price wise I think it depends on what you buy. I've found some great deals and some eh deals.

To go back to some of the other topics. Spectromagic is my favorite parade. I don't remember who said it on the podcast but I do agree that having a significant event tied to a parade/event makes it the one you love.

For me, Spectro was the first parade my son ever saw and my husband would sing the words to him. So MSEP ust can't live up to that memory.

Ian
02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
I can't get into "The Prime." Seems like the only real benefit you get is free 2-day shipping or whatever. Since 99% of the stuff I buy from Amazon is over $25 I get free shipping on it anyway, so who cares? :confused:

Seems like a rip to me. No interest at all.

dpamac
02-22-2012, 08:35 AM
I can't get into "The Prime." Seems like the only real benefit you get is free 2-day shipping or whatever. Since 99% of the stuff I buy from Amazon is over $25 I get free shipping on it anyway, so who cares? :confused:

And also, "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN."

BrerGnat
02-22-2012, 08:37 AM

There are other benefits. Kindle owners who have Prime, for example, can "borrow" e-books (one per month) rather than buying them from Kindle's Lending LIbrary. That's a pretty good perk!

Also, there is the streaming content that is included with Prime. The catalog of available stuff is getting bigger every day, and eventually, will be comparable to Netflix (according to Amazon). My new Blu Ray player contains the Amazon "channel" so we can watch streaming stuff right on our t.v.

I guess the "instant gratification" of the 2 day shipping is enough for me. I HATE the unpredictability of "Free Super Saver 5-9 business day" shipping. We always end up on the end where it is 9 business days. I hate ordering something and having to wait 2 weeks to get it!

dpamac
02-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Not counting Christmas, where we did our shopping in one day and had everything in our hands two days later, Prime has saved me money. I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon and if I want a $12 book but nothing else I would generally end up buying junk to get up to $25.

But it's just like anything else. Your mileage may vary. Some see a value, some don't. Whatevs.

Ian
02-22-2012, 10:55 AM
And also, "YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN."I prefer, "HEY YOU WOODCHUCKS! QUIT CHUCKIN' MY WOOD!!"

But seriously, folks ... didn't mean to sound curmudgeonly about it. I should have been more clear and just said that The Prime didn't really fit for my buying habits.

I can definitely see how it would be worth it to some folks.

PirateLover
02-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Add me to the laugh out loud category! The cruise correction segment was too funny.

As a graduate student who has to buy a bazillion books each semester, I LOVE "The Prime!" I got a free trial for what was supposed to be a year because I was a student. Don't tell, but that year is up, I've yet to be charged for a renewal, yet I'm still reaping the benefits of Prime. If push comes to shove and I have to pay for it, I'm not sure if I will, but right now it's such a steal. Electronics are HUGE bargains when it comes to not having to pay tax OR shipping. Wow. That was great for Christmas. One thing I have found though, is that it seems as if less and less things are "available" for Prime via secondary sellers. Maybe they are losing too much money on it?

lwith58
02-23-2012, 05:29 PM
MSEP is my favorite parade mostly for the memories it brings back. I first saw it back in 1980 with my family at WDW. My Mother absolutely loved it as well as the music, she even bought the soundtrack and I believe on vinyl. Whenever I hear the music from that parade it always reminds me of watching Michael Iceberg play at the Tomorrowland Terrace.

While Optimus may be the most well known Prime, Solus Prime is my favorite. ;)

Mendelson
02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm kind of a "secret" podcast listener...I generally hide some parts of my Disney nerd-dom to my wife, but she's not far behind me in her nerd-dom, truth be told. I've referenced the podcast, but she's never heard it.

Today I came out of the closet and threw caution to the wind and we both listened to it while working from home. She loved it! She particularly liked Gary's references to "The Brady Bunch" and "Shane." At one point she did say, "Who are these people again?"

Indeed...who ARE these people? :-)

dpamac
02-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm kind of a "secret" podcast listener...I generally hide some parts of my Disney nerd-dom to my wife, but she's not far behind me in her nerd-dom, truth be told. I've referenced the podcast, but she's never heard it.

Today I came out of the closet and threw caution to the wind and we both listened to it while working from home. She loved it! She particularly liked Gary's references to "The Brady Bunch" and "Shane." At one point she did say, "Who are these people again?"

Indeed...who ARE these people? :-)

You have a very smart wife. We approve of your marriage. :number1:

JPL
02-29-2012, 10:09 AM
The best parade is MNSSHP. How can you beat the Headless Horseman & the Haunted Mansion Grave Diggers?

I avoid the Electric Umbrella at all costs! It use to be good and even had a Fixins Bar but has gone downhill :sick:

Tink1
03-04-2012, 05:02 PM
FINALLY had the chance to listen to the last podcast today.

Yes, I found your false DCL itineraries quite amusing!

Almost dropped the iron on the Med cruises from MIAMI!:funny:

N

Melanie
03-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Yes, I found your false DCL itineraries quite amusing!

Almost dropped the iron on the Med cruises from MIAMI!:funny:

N

Yeah, any aspirations I may have had for MJ employment just went totally out the window. ;) :funny:

Quadstriker
03-04-2012, 09:33 PM
The best parade is MNSSHP. How can you beat the Headless Horseman & the Haunted Mansion Grave Diggers?

I avoid the Electric Umbrella at all costs! It use to be good and even had a Fixins Bar but has gone downhill :sick:

Cosmic Rays too. Those burgers are just the definition of BLEH. at $9.50 a pop you'd think you could get something at least resembling a tasty burger. McDonalds is better.

And absolutely the Headless Horseman is a <snip> CHAMP!

NJGIRL
03-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Catching up of the podcasts (last month has been crazy) and I heard my name mentioned!
Thanks Mel, I feel like a star. :thumbsup: I might even make my husband listen to hear it. :D I keep telling him that I an important but for some reason he doesn't believe me. ;)

Ian
03-21-2012, 10:51 AM
I just listened to this one and heard the part of the podcast I was offline for, which included Mel's dramatic presentation of the new DCL itineraries.

All I have to say is ... I'm glad I missed that part lol! ;)

Melanie
03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
I just listened to this one and heard the part of the podcast I was offline for, which included Mel's dramatic presentation of the new DCL itineraries.

All I have to say is ... I'm glad I missed that part lol! ;)

What are you talking about? That's one of my proudest moments!

Ian
03-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Line of the episode so far goes to me ... "I can take the hair out of the gravy, but you can't take the <stink> out of those burgers!"

kaylamag
03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
A little behind listening to the podcasts...but I had to comment about the credit card. I took my husband out for his birthday dinner and gave the waitress the my Disney credit card to pay the bill. When she came back she told me she had taken it all through the kitchen to show everyone because she thought it was so 'cute'! BTW it is the Finding Nemo card.