PDA

View Full Version : STUDIOS FANS! -Maxing the fun strategy?

disneykidsince1970
02-13-2012, 04:41 AM
Hi All - we will be going to the Studios April 13. We are a large group of 9, including 4 kids:

nephew - age 10
niece - age 9
daughtr - aged almost 7
son - aged 5

We plan on heading over early and then enjoying our SciFi ADR for lunch. We have Hoop Dee Doo at 7p. Other than these plans...we are wide open!

I haven't been to the Studios much at all - I would sincerely appreciate any tips for fast passes, characters, shows, rides for these age groups, etc.

Thank you!!

Sportster
02-13-2012, 09:01 AM
As far as rides go, here are my recommendations:

I'm assuming you will most likely want to do all the attractions together, so I'm going to skip the "thrill ride" recommendations (ToT and RnRC).
Get a FastPass for Toy Story Mania when you first get there...this one is a don't miss attraction. Then Muppet 3D, Great Movie Ride, Star Tours (anyone who gets queasy on simulator rides will need to avoid this). If you have time, do the Backlot Tour. Lot of fun, but takes about 35min.

As far as shows (check the schedule):
Beauty and the Beast Stage show
Indiana Jones Stunt Show
Lights Motors Action Extreme Stunt Show
American Idol Experience (nice way to cool down)

If you are able to get back for Fantasmic, it's one of the bast night shows at WDW.

disneykidsince1970
02-13-2012, 04:05 PM
any love for / comments on ...

- Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey
- Star Tours for 5 yr old?

and... is the Backlot Tour good? I haven't done it in years but it seemed a bit dated...?

...and lastly, for the newbie, how is Toy Story Mania different than Buzz over in MK?

Thanks!!

Gator
02-13-2012, 04:17 PM
any love for / comments on ...

- Pixar Pals Countdown to Fun
- Voyage of the Little Mermaid
- Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey
- Star Tours for 5 yr old?
...and lastly, for the newbie, how is Toy Story Mania different than Buzz over in MK?

Thanks!!

The Pixar parade is good. The kids will like it because of all the Pixar characters that are in it that you can't see anywhere else.:mickey:

Voyage.... is a good little show. Live singing, with good effects in it.

By all means, skip Sounds Dangerous. Lame :ack:

Star Tours will be fine for a 5 year old. My kids both hit Tower of Terror at 3, so ST will be fine.

And ToyStoryMania is similar to Buzz, but it's in 3D and on giant screens. It's like a giant moving video game.

Have fun, and get lots of pic next to the Giant Mickey Hat :smickey:

Main Street Jim
02-13-2012, 04:58 PM
For TSM FastPasses....as *soon* as your whole group is inside the park, give ONE person all of your park tickets, and have them RUN to TSM to get FastPasses.

Backlot Tour...most of it was removed to make way for the Lights! Motors! Action! stunt show arena. Not much left except Catastrophe Canyon, really. By all means, though, if anyone in your group likes fast cars, loud noises, action, and FIRE!, head over to see this one!

Hoop de Doo at 7:00? Leave the park - be out the front gate - by 6:00pm. Are you using Disney transportation, or driving yourselves around? You won't make it back in time for Fantasmic!, I don't think, unless there's a 10:00pm show.

VWL Mom
02-13-2012, 05:13 PM
I think the 9 and 10 yr olds may like RnRC and ToT (or at least be asked). I think you should split up for a bit and let the little ones do Pixar Pals while the older ones do the thrill rides.

LVT
02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
The new Star Tours is fun for most. The ride doe jerk around a little. There are several stories to the tours and no way to guess which you will see. We went over and over to try to get most of the variations.

mickclub1955
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey is no longer in operation (thank goodness). But I would hightly recommend first thing when the turnstiles open to run and get a fastpass for Toy Story Mania. We went two weeks ago during the really slow season and all fastpasses were gone by 11. Got ours at nine and the time to come back was between 11-12 and when we went to ride it they were wiped out for the rest of the day. The Great Movie Ride is good and One Man's Dream about Walt Disney is also a great place to stop in and cool down.

finaldynasty
02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Go the the Beauty and the Beast show...I found that my nephew and son who are 15 and 9 now were ok going to a "girl" show. Plus, they enjoyed walking out and getting a turkey leg right across the way.

cuteduck223
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Beauty and the Beast is also a great thing for the younger ones while the older ones do the thrill rides too (as another option to pixal pals).

Like everyone else, get your TSM fastpasses right away. I suggest riding and getting them because its a WAY better ride than Buzz at MK, and I would probably stay on there all day if they would let me. Everyone will love it. our DD14, my hubby, and our DD2 all enjoyed it.

We also love little mermaid because we're little mermaid fans. And we enjoy the Great Movie Ride. It's great to relax for a few minutes.

hauntedmansiongirl
02-17-2012, 01:42 AM
Don't forget to do by the Animation Academy and draw one of the Disney characters. It is free and you get to take home your drawing on fancy DHS paper. Makes a great souvenir and you'll be amazed at how well your pictures turn out!!

Have a great time! We're going that week in April too! Here's hoping its not too crazy! :mickey: