PDA

View Full Version : ipod touch help!

wdwnutz
02-12-2012, 05:08 PM
So, I am trying to download some new movies and music to my ipod touch for my upcoming Disney trip. The problem is I have a new laptop and my itunes library is gone. How do I transfer my movies and music (safely & simple) from the ipod to my computer so that when I sync from itunes it doesn't wipe out everything I have on my ipod? :confused:

White Rose
02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
Weird...so you can't see the the iTunes folders anywhere on your new laptop after you moved the files from your old computer to your new computer? Also, is your old computer still up and running? If so, you should be able to back up the music from your old computer to place on your new one...

Let me know and I'll see if I can assist from there!

wdwnutz
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately my motherboard went bad on my laptop and I lost my iTunes library. I inherited my iPod from my daughter and I don't want to lose the movies I have on it....is there a safe free program that will transfer my files from iPod to computer?

drhama
02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
I had a similar thing happen to me.
I can't remember the file name but did an Internet search and found a file I download that made it possible to transfer from iPod to computer. Think I paid $10 or something.
Was not the smoothest process but did the trick. Well worth the money in time savings. I'm sure it would have taken me days to recreate most of my music. I had no movies only my music to transfer.
I'm sure if you do a search you will find something that will work for you.
Good luck.

DizneyRox
02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
You don't have to spend money to do this. I know a free program exist, I don't recall the name. I don't keep media on my iPhone for exactly this reason, iTunes is horrible to figure out when disaster strikes.

I stream everything, works great..

Hair_Razor
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
What about the cloud is that a possibility? I don't know enough about it yet but worth asking.

BrerGnat
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
You would think you'd be able to simply install iTunes onto your new computer and do a backwards sync from the ipod. You would think. :rolleyes:

I HATE iTunes with a passion. :mad: I've had so many frustrations with it in regards to my ipod, enough so that it will be the first and LAST Apple product I ever own. The same thing happened to me too, and I ended up just manually doing it all over again. Luckily, we back up everything (all our media files and stuff) regularly, but it was such a long, tedious process.

Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately, it's very common. :(

Ian
02-13-2012, 09:25 AM
I love my all my "i" devices, but I will say that the inability to do a reverse update is a tad mind-boggling.

But anyway, yeah there are free programs out there that will migrate your library over for you.

Also, since only your motherboard died and not your hard drive, can't you just hook your new PC up to your old hard drive and copy the files over that way?

brownie
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM
My bride had to have one of the tech guys at work use a program to create a new library in order to move her iTunes library. She thought she had finished transferring it, deleted the old library, and the new one was nowhere to be found. You can't just create a new library from the iPod.

Ian, situations like this make the Android look better than the iPhone, don't you think? :D

Ian
02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Ian, situations like this make the Android look better than the iPhone, don't you think? :DNope! ;)

wdwnutz
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Also, since only your motherboard died and not your hard drive, can't you just hook your new PC up to your old hard drive and copy the files over that way?

Not quite sure how to do this....? Motherboard died on my laptop (only computer I have), Dell sent me a new one and I followed directions to install it and itunes was empty when I brought it up (oops!)

brownie
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Not quite sure how to do this....? Motherboard died on my laptop (only computer I have), Dell sent me a new one and I followed directions to install it and itunes was empty when I brought it up (oops!)

Are you talking about iTunes the software? Try browsing to the iTunes folder and looking there rather than going through the iTunes software.

DizneyRox
02-15-2012, 12:24 PM
Your iTunes library is stored under My Music on a Windows PC. In Win7 that's C:\Users\[username]\My Music\iTunes\...

Ian, situations like this make the Android look better than the iPhone, don't you think? :D
Heh... My 3 year old has already bailed on the Android tablet, he prefers the iPad.

BrerGnat
02-15-2012, 12:31 PM

I seriously considered getting an iphone, but my overall poor user experince with my ipod touch has basically made me HATE the interface enough that I won't even consider it now.

My husband has had a Windows Phone 7 (Samsung Focus S) for awhile now. I have to say, although I don't love the OS myself, it's a pretty darn spiffy device...basically blows the iphone out of the water, in terms of what it's capable of doing and its processing speed for completing tasks.

All Apple has going for it at this point is the huge App Store. If either Android or Windows catches up, it will be hard to justify choosing anything running iOS.

Ian
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Not quite sure how to do this....? Motherboard died on my laptop (only computer I have), Dell sent me a new one and I followed directions to install it and itunes was empty when I brought it up (oops!)Hmmm ... So it sounds like you're just using the old machine with a new motherboard? So I'm not getting why anything on your hard drive is gone?

Maybe call Dell support? They might be able to help, but from what you're describing it sounds like your iTunes library should still be there.

All Apple has going for it at this point is the huge App Store. If either Android or Windows catches up, it will be hard to justify choosing anything running iOS.Ha ha ha!! That's kind of broad, sweeping pronouncement based more on personal preference than on any kind of actual facts.

I've played with phones running basically every OS out there and I have yet to find one (Windows Phone included) that I like as much as the iPhone.

Now I'll admit it depends on what you want your phone to do, but for me there's no way I'll ever have anything but an iPhone. It's a perfect package for what I want.

7165red
02-15-2012, 03:56 PM
May I jump in here, I have a RCA ipod, can I download music from itune and if so how do I find a chart to choose my songs, ex. some of Niel Diamond & some of Rod Stuart etc. Any help is really appreciated.

RedSoxFan
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
So I have an IPOD question.

I have an ipod touch that has all my music on it.
I inherited my dads classic ipod when he died in June.
If I connect his ipod to my itunes --- what will happen? I would love to keep his music (memories of what I grew up with); but be able to add mine to it. Can this be done?

VWL Mom
02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
So I have an IPOD question.

I have an ipod touch that has all my music on it.
I inherited my dads classic ipod when he died in June.
If I connect his ipod to my itunes --- what will happen? I would love to keep his music (memories of what I grew up with); but be able to add mine to it. Can this be done?

Before connecting the ipod go into itunes/preferences/devices and make sure the prevent ipods from autosyncing is checked. When you connect his ipod you will probably be asked if you want to authorize it to your computer which is a yes. You can then go into his ipod and add what you want.

I'm sorry about your dad but having his favorite music is a nice memory.

wdwnutz
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Before connecting the ipod go into itunes/preferences/devices and make sure the prevent ipods from autosyncing is checked. When you connect his ipod you will probably be asked if you want to authorize it to your computer which is a yes. You can then go into his ipod and add what you want.

Ok, maybe this will help solve my problem...the movies & music on my ipod were not purchased from itunes (and not in my itunes library now), so if I try to sync newly downloaded movies, music, etc. will it delete what is on my ipod? I am so confused on how this all works! :confused:

VWL Mom
02-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Ok, maybe this will help solve my problem...the movies & music on my ipod were not purchased from itunes (and not in my itunes library now), so if I try to sync newly downloaded movies, music, etc. will it delete what is on my ipod? I am so confused on how this all works! :confused:

If you go in to itunes help, type in "sync your device manually" and select it from the list...this may be what you're looking for to add those new purchases to your ipod touch.