PDA

View Full Version : Trying a few new restaurants...reviews please?

wdwnutz
02-05-2012, 01:44 PM
So, we are traveling to the "world" again in March. :mickey: My daughter is doing the College Program and got us a great deal. Since we booked kind of last minute, we have to try some new restaurants (which is ok, but I'm still trying to change some times and also get Ohana!). Need some reviews of T-Rex Cafe, Via Naploi, Rainforest Cafe at AK, Mama Melrose & 1900 Park Fare. Thanks everyone for any info you can provide!

disneymom15
02-05-2012, 02:54 PM
T-Rex is good but can be really, really loud. Rainforest is similar to t-Rex, but I like the food selection at t-Rex better. Via Napoli is very good. Excellent pizza and salads. Mama Melrose's is hit or miss. We eat there mostly because there's not slot of choices at Studios.

azcavalier
02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Of those, we've only done Via Napoli. We really, really liked it. Most of us had pizza, and our DD12 had a pasta dish. Everyone was pleased. Who knew that cantaloupe on a pizza would be delicious? I got pizza with prosciutto on it, and while I liked the taste, it was very, very chewy, and so it was a little hard to eat.

My wife loves their pistachio gelato. Last trip, we got ADRs mid-afternoon, just to grab a few drinks and some of that.

Disney4us2
02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
We love 1900 Park Fare. We have only done the dinner with Cinderella and gang. The step sisters are a real hoot. My DD has requested this one again just to watch their antics. The food is standard buffet, but I found everything very good.

Niecyboo
02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
1900 Parke Fare is one of my favorite character breakfasts. It seems to have a few things not on the normal buffet, like strawberry soup and lobster eggs Benedict (I'm not sure there is really lobster on it, but it's good). The character interaction is fun too.

PETE FROM NYC
02-05-2012, 04:06 PM
DW and I both like Rainforest and T-Rex.
My sister raves about supper at 1900 Park Faire, but we could not get ADRs last 2 trips.
As far as Villa Napoli and Mama Melrose, let me just say that they claim to be Italian, but I am one Italian-American that says they are liars.

tarheelmjfan
02-05-2012, 04:55 PM
I agree that the food at T-Rex is a better than RFC, but not enough so that I would choose it, if I really liked the atmosphere a lot better at RFC. If you need to try both to have enough meals, I think they're different enough to do so.

We have only had breakfast at 1900 PF. We really enjoyed it. The characters were great! I've read the food is only okay at dinner, but again the characters are the best.

We haven't tried the others. Via Napoli gets good reviews. I don't think I've read of anyone that had an all around bad meal there. Mama Melrose gets mixed reviews on the boards. You don't usually see anyone rave about their meal there. If you're paying OOP, we really like Hollywood Brown Derby, & it's usually fairly easy to get into.

hel5165
02-05-2012, 06:45 PM
We just returned and have to tell you that the new Katsura counter service is terrific. I never was a big fan of Japanese food but we ate there 3 times this trip. They offer a good selection but if you like curry you must try the chicken cutlet curry -- breaded cutlet with rice and curry sauce.

We love Chefs de France, Rose and Crown, Canada when we can get in, GF cafe. Olivia's at Old Key West resort and the Turf Club at SSR.

Tried Wolfgang Puck Express again. Pizza is ok but a little sweet from the jar sauce. Ordered a caesar salad and it was pure garbage. Never again.

wdwnutz
02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks everyone! I think I am happy with all my choices accept for Rainforest Cafe. We really want to go to TRex for my DS5, but want different choices for another meal. We are going to AK the day we have RC planned. Really, really want Ohana for dinner, but no luck....any suggestions?

disneynarula
02-18-2012, 02:37 PM
I would just keep at it for O'Hana. You never know if there is going to be a cancellation.

I like the Rainforest Cafe. It's pretty loud but I thought the food was pretty decent.

tinkman
02-23-2012, 06:03 AM
I can comment about everything except 1900 Park Fare. T-Rex: Been there 3 times. It was a nice change from RainForest, Dinosaurs instead of Gorillas! Love the Ice room. Food good and plenty of it. Loud. Via Naploi: I would eat counter service before going back there. Prices are outrageous for what little you get. If you're on the dining plan it won't hurt as much. Disappointed in the food and service. Rain Forest Cafe @ AK: Love this restaurant. Like T-Rex, good food and plenty of it. In our humble opinion, best sit-down at AK. Mama Melrose: We discovered this little gem 2 trips ago. Had a cousin tell me that she hated it so I wasn't expecting much. Boy, was I surprised. Really good food, prices are in-line, quiet place and nice atmosphere.

darthmacho
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
I can't be much of a help with reviews since Rainforest Cafe is the only one on the list I've been to, and that was almost 13 years ago (OMG!), but on the bright side, I like your choices anyway since three of them (Via Napoli, T-Rex, and Mama Melrose) are all on our 2012 agenda!

If you like Asian style food, a good alternative to Rainforest Cafe might be Yak and Yeti at the AK. I enjoyed it so much in 2010, that I made it a must-do for 2012! Enjoy! :mickey: