PDA

View Full Version : Burned hardwood floor

Jeri Lynn
02-04-2012, 02:19 PM
I had a hot ember drop on my hardwood floor and leave a burn mark. This is the type of flooring that is prefinished. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can repair without replacing the board. This happened at our camp in Maine and I don't have any idea the mfg of the floor. Thanks.

DizneyRox
02-05-2012, 09:46 AM
By prefinished you mean real hardwood but came with poly from the factory? That can be sanded and refinished. Engineered flooring may be more of a problem, it can only be refinished a few times, so you need to choose your battles.

If you're talking about a laminate, then the only solution is to replace that "board". Laminate can be repaired, but I wouldn't risk it myself. I'd call in a pro, hopefully, you have a few boards left over.

That same repair can be done with the prefinished, but you need a pro for that too. Taking out one piece of hardwood flooring without damagine the others AND putting a new piece in place is not for the casual do-it-yourselfer.

Repair of the board in place is cheaper than the refinishing route... Matching though becomes the problem.

Once, I did see painters that could try to match just a damaged spot on millworks, etc, but on a floor, I bet you're going to have issues with traffic, etc.

Jeri Lynn
02-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately I am not sure what type of floor it is. It had just been installed when we bought the camp and I remember seeing some cardboard packaging from it but that is long gone.

I think for now I will cover it with a fireproof area carpet. In the spring when the snow is gone I will ask my DH to see if there is any packing under the camp.

I could probably go to the local hardware store as the flooring could have come from there. There are not alot of home improvement centers in Northern Maine.

My husband thinks it adds character, he's probably trying to make me feel better...
(I'm sure he doesn't want to try and repair it, he hates woodworking!!)