PDA

View Full Version : 2 Good Movies in 2 Months...Can We Make it 3?

NJGIRL
02-03-2012, 07:36 PM
With all of the trash that Hollywood puts out and we pay for I have to say that I have seen 2 really good movies in the last two months.

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was so good that I can't wait for the seond movie.

"Underworld the Awakening" held me as interested as the first two in the series, although I did miss Scott Speedman.

Saturday I am going to see "One for the Money" just beacuse I have read all 22 books! I am not a big Katherine Heigel fan and I was very disappointed in her being cast as Stephanie but I'm going in with an opened mind.

Can we make it 3 good movies in a row??? I guess I'll find out Saturday.

ImagiAsh
02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I could not wait for "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo" to end! I should clarify that I have never read the book, so I walked into it as a completely blank slate. While the storyline was somewhat intriguing, I found Lisbeth's character more or less dimensionless in personality. Sure they pumped her with history, which explained a number of scenes, but she still felt relatively vacant to me. On top of that, it was unnecessarily long -- clocking in at 2.5 hours. My attention span shorted somewhere around the hour mark.

On the contrary, I recently saw The Artist - a black and white, silent film directed by Michel Hazanavicius. It perfectly encompassed every nuance of the silent film era in a lovely tale of comedy and romance. The characters were heartwarming and dazzling. For that 1.5 hours, I felt far away from today's Hollywood and brought right back to what I always wish I had experienced of the golden age of old Hollywood.

NJGIRL
02-04-2012, 11:49 PM
I could not wait for "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo" to end! I should clarify that I have never read the book, so I walked into it as a completely blank slate. While the storyline was somewhat intriguing, I found Lisbeth's character more or less dimensionless in personality. Sure they pumped her with history, which explained a number of scenes, but she still felt relatively vacant to me. On top of that, it was unnecessarily long -- clocking in at 2.5 hours. My attention span shorted somewhere around the hour mark.

She was supposed to be vacant.......but I read the book and knew that, so I can't say for sure if I hadn't read the book that I wouldn't have felt as you did. My husband didn't read the book, but really enjoyed the movie also.

I liked the movie being longer, in fact, in the ending they took a few "short cuts" so it wouldn't be even longer.

TheVBs
02-05-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm really interested in hearing your review of One for the Money! I've read all the books as well, and love them. She does seem an odd choice. None of them really seem quite right. But, like you said I'm keeping an open mind. Hope it's good!

NJGIRL
02-06-2012, 09:19 AM
I liked the movie, but I'm not sure if it was because I read the book, I really did like the whole series. It was a "fluff" movie and I'm sure my husband wouldn't have thought it was that good. I went with 3 girlfriends (who did not read the books) and they liked it.

I was pleasantly surprised with KH. I think she did a pretty good job. Before they did casting for the movie I had wished they would cast Gerard Bulter as Joe , but shortly after I saw that he was in that other bounty hunter movie with Jennifer Aniston (seemed like a rip off of One for the Money whos script was floating around Hollywood for years) so I knew all hope was lost on him. The actor that was cast as Ranger was better than I expected too. Being from Jersey I did think the accents of some of the characters were bad. Trenton, after all, is in Central Jersey, not North Jersey and they should not have had the New York type accents.

Of course they did change a few things around, like they always do for these book to movie deals, I guess to save time. Some of the things we love about Stephanie were left behind but all in all I was entertained by the movie.

I just hope that if another one is done Janet is involved so that we get more of Stephanie's quirks and the Jersey attitude than we got in this one.