PDA

View Full Version : strategies for park touring during a short weekend trip

SingingPixie
02-02-2012, 11:41 AM
We (myself, boyfriend, brother and a friend- all in the second half of our 20s) are toying with the idea of heading down to run the Wine and Dine Half Marathon the second weekend in November. It would be a short/budget trip- probably work a half-day friday, fly down in the afternoon, rest up Saturday during the day, run the race at night, and then do the parks Sunday and Monday before getting the first flight out Tuesday morning to head straight to work.

This is a very different type of trip than the others I have taken, where we went for a week and tried to see as much as we possibly could. The only realistic thing I can see to do would be to make a list of "highlights" of each park and plan on only doing those. So here's what I'm thinking:

The party after the race lasts until 3am in Epcot, after which we'd walk back to the Boardwalk (hoping to rent DVC points and get a studio within our budget) and go to bed. Sunday will be a recovery day, so rope drop is out. I'd like to do MGM and Epcot this day, since they're closer to the hotel. We'd head to MGM, see what we can (at least ToT, RnRC and Star Tours- I'd love to do Toy Story but I'm not sure how feasable that is if we don't arrive until 10:30 or so). Then head over to Epcot for a relaxing afternoon/evening.

On Monday we'd probably do morning at AK (KS, Everest, Dinosaur, either FOTLK or Nemo, the animal trails) until lunchtime and then the rest of the day in MK (mountains, Pirates, Philharmagic). I think it's reasonable to do rope drop or even early entry today, and then stay until we're done, playing the evening by ear.

What do you think about this general approach? Should I just write off Toy Story as an impossibility with these constraints? Thanks so much!

Janmac
02-06-2012, 08:38 PM
I think I'd at least head to Toy Story as soon as I entered the park to see what the FP and standby wait was. Some of the reports on here have been saying that during slow times, the FPs are still available late morning.

Just read that when the Lights Motor Action Stunt show starts, the standby line is a bit shorter. If you're still in the park when the parade is going, maybe the standby line is shorter then too. Worth a try, anyway.

As for the rest of your plans, they sound good to me.

I'm having a thought here: as attractions are rehabbed at MK, it'd be nice if there were room to stick in a single rider line for some of the E-ticket rides.

Good luck on the marathon and enjoy your short weekend trip. Perhaps you'll have time when you return home to write up a trip report.

Jan

chick20679
02-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I think it sounds like a great plan! :thumbsup:
I am also toying with the idea of heading down for that race, although I am thinking Thursday morning to Sunday evening.
If you decide to go, have a great time!! :party: