PDA

View Full Version : #What #Is #This #?

Scar
02-01-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm almost afraid to ask this because I know it's some ridiculous social network thing, and, besides INTERCOT of course... well anyway... #so #what #the #heck #does #this #mean #?

VWL Mom
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Hashtags are being used on twitter to link postings from one group to another. You will also see them on facebook to link something there to one's twitter account. Supposedly it makes things easier to search.

Disney Hungarian
02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
From Wikipedia section on social usage:
In blogs, # is sometimes used to denote a permalink for that particular weblog entry.
On social networking sites such as Twitter, # is used to denote a metadata tag, or "hashtag".

You can do a search on google for #. I found the results rather interesting and I know more about the # symbol than I ever cared to, now.

TinkerbellT421
02-01-2012, 08:17 PM
And all this time I thought I was the only one that didn't know what that meant...lol

Melanie
02-01-2012, 09:02 PM
#icot15 :D

Disney Hungarian
02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
@Melanie #:thumbsup:

brivers222
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
to me they are just #annoyances....

Melanie
02-01-2012, 09:35 PM

Well, it's just one of those things about social networking that's 'in' right now, and if you participate, it's there. I remember being confused and thinking it served no purpose when I first starting tweeting, but now I somwhat understand. :confused::secret:;)

I'm sure something else will be 'in' a few years from now.

brivers222
02-01-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, it's just one of those things about social networking that's 'in' right now, and if you participate, it's there. I remember being confused and thinking it served no purpose when I first starting tweeting, but now I somwhat understand. :confused::secret:;)

I'm sure something else will be 'in' a few years from now.

lol i suppose... i refuse to tweet eventhough i signed up for an account. idk, facebook while it is getting really boring lately, seems more fun than tweeting

TinkerbellT421
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
lol i suppose... i refuse to tweet eventhough i signed up for an account. idk, facebook while it is getting really boring lately, seems more fun than tweeting

I keep trying to "like" people's tweets....lol I tweet once and a while, but I just can't seem to get used to it lol. I have used the # when saying something witty or seeing the "trends" hashes come up, but just used it cause it seemed like that's what you do....but still not completely sure. lol

Melanie
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm not a big personal tweeter, but I do enjoy tweeting for @INTERCOT from Disney and bringing news, pics and happenings to our followers live. It's fun! #WDW #Epcot #DHS #MagicKingdom #AnimalKingdom. LOL!

brivers222
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
i'm not a big personal tweeter, but i do enjoy tweeting for @intercot from disney and bringing news, pics and happenings to our followers live. It's fun! #wdw #epcot #dhs #magickingdom #animalkingdom. Lol!

@#omgtmi!

Melanie
02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
@#omgtmi!

:funny:

For sure, it's not for everyone. :)

ColleenMcD
02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I was trying to help someone the other day do something on the phone and they were having trouble because they didn't know what to press when it asked you to press pound....

at first, I thought, are you kidding me??? then I looked at them and said - it's the thing that looks like the "hashtag" and suddenly they got it! made me feel SUPER old at the ripe old age of 30.....

Melanie
02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I was trying to help someone the other day do something on the phone and they were having trouble because they didn't know what to press when it asked you to press pound....

at first, I thought, are you kidding me??? then I looked at them and said - it's the thing that looks like the "hashtag" and suddenly they got it! made me feel SUPER old at the ripe old age of 30.....

Oh. My. Goodness.

TinkerbellT421
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM

I remember when you used to have to hit "pound" to complete the sending of a "page" to a "pager"....

brivers222
02-01-2012, 11:38 PM
I remember when the # symbol was something you put in front of numbers... Like we're #1!!!

and i remember when the pound symbol represented weight.... 12#'s of fresh fish

lol

DizneyRox
02-02-2012, 06:42 AM
You're not alone...

Scar
02-02-2012, 07:40 AM
You will also see them on facebook ...No, I won't. ;)

And by the way... I still don't know what it means. #:beer:

BrerGnat
02-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Oh. My. Goodness.

OMG, Mel, that's so old school! You used the whole words! :D

Melanie
02-02-2012, 08:03 AM
And by the way... I still don't know what it means. #:beer:

It's for Twitter, and unless you link your Facebook to Twitter, there really is no purpose in using it on Facebook, unless I'm missing something, which is quite possible. ;)

On Twitter, here's a post from Carol yesterday, who's at Disneyland -

Waiting for World of Color. On our balcony in our jammies. #CaliforniaAdventure #grandcalifornian /cr http://pic.twitter.com/hvjn9OR3

Within that post, the #CaliforniaAdventure and #grandcalifornian become links on Twitter. Click on one of them, and you'll see others who have hashtagged (linked) the same subject.

So say you are interested in beer. You could search #beer, #moosehead, #guinness, etc.

Lots of big events make official hashtags as well, you know, kinda like #ICOT15. ;)

Melanie
02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
omg, mel, that's so old school! You used the whole words! :d

#omg

:D

AgentC
02-02-2012, 10:29 AM
It's for Twitter, and unless you link your Facebook to Twitter, there really is no purpose in using it on Facebook, unless I'm missing something, which is quite possible. ;)

I have never seen it on FB either unless it was a feed from Twitter. #fb tells certain programs to send the Tweet to your Facebook page.

The other nice thing about hashtags is on certain Twitter clients you can set up a column just for a hashtag. So I could tell Tweetdeck to show me all #ICOT15 tweets so I don't miss anything. :D

And as TinkerbellT421 mentioned sometimes people use the # before something that is supposed to be funny or to emphasize something.

As far as Twitter itself, for me it took a bit of getting used to. Even if you don't want to tweet, it is worth signing up and following Intercot. Melanie does a great job and Carol has been tweeting some phenomenal photos from DL this week. :thumbsup:

badkitty
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
This is very interesting. Ugh. I'm not on Facebook. I don't tweet. I guess I'm behind the times but who has time? I can barely get through all the posts I want to read on Intercot. :mickey:

Melanie
02-02-2012, 03:31 PM
This is very interesting. Ugh. I'm not on Facebook. I don't tweet. I guess I'm behind the times but who has time? I can barely get through all the posts I want to read on Intercot. :mickey:

Totally understand. Like we said, it's not for everyone. It is another means of social media though, and is a pretty popular regarding communication within the Disney community.

bleukarma
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
As far as I know you can also get a subject "trending" on twitter by using hashtags (#). I think that means its the top 10(?) things that are being talked about and I think it shows up on the twitter home page. I could be wrong because I always check my twitter on my phone.

But during Intercot's 15th anniversary party if well all tweet out #icot15 from our twitter account then who knows...we may become trending on twitter! :number1:

MNNHFLTX
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
But during Intercot's 15th anniversary party if well all tweet out #icot15 from our twitter account then who knows...we may become trending on twitter! :number1:Hmm, interesting thought....