PDA

View Full Version : Age for Pin Trading?

sonamae80
02-01-2012, 12:54 PM
I was just curious to see what you all thought was an acceptable age to start pin trading. My DD will be turning 6 during our WDW trip and didn't know if she was quite old enough to understand the concept of pin trading. And before I dropped the $$ on it, I wanted to get some other opinions!

:mickey: Thanks! :mickey:

GAN
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I'm not a "pin-trader" per se, but I have a few nice pins. I think that at her age, pin collecting/trading would be a perfect way to remember a favorite ride or just help spark a conversation with a cast member.

Pooh Fan
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
My Son was four and a half the first time we tried it with him. He really enjoyed it. Getting set up at Walmart with starter pins and lanyard will save you a bit or $$. The cast members with green lanyards only trade with kids and all of them seemed to be more than willing to help him make a trade that was in his best interest. Give it a shot, it's a whole new aspect of the magic that she may really enjoy and they are great souvenieres. He keeps his lanyard over his bedpost and looks at the pins almost daily!

Disney4us2
02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
My DD started trading about 4 years ago. She mainly just traded for what she liked. Now at the age of 12 she is really into the trading. She loves the hunt of trying to find any limited edtions (LE's) on the CM lanyards. She also trades with other guest traders at the trading barrels in Frontierland at DL. That is where she mainly gets her LE's. She does it for fun and making a great collection. She now keeps her "keeper" pins at home on a large cork board or on a non trading lanyard.

I love the way it gets her to interact with other guests and the CM's. She is shy, and has trouble articulaing what she wants to say( Auditory Processing Disorder). Needless to say, I encourage this addicting, expensive habit. We both have a lot of fun with it.

wickedgin
02-02-2012, 12:09 AM
I think 6 is just fine. My daughter started at 5 with some pins I got for about $1 each on eBay. I think it's a great way for children to get involved and interact with CMs. Plus, it sort of feels like shopping but without spending money (besides the initial investment, of course).
My children are now old enough to want particular pins, so trading has become a treasure hunt, and it's one of our favorite parts of Disney vacations. I highly recommend it. :)

brownie
02-02-2012, 10:51 AM
We had our youngest trading pins when he was 3. We had to help him, and he only traded with cast members.

NewDVCowner
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
I sent you a private message with suggestions.

Kenny1113
02-02-2012, 04:58 PM
I think it depends on the individual. My DSs started trading 5 years ago. I guess deep down they are hoarders because even to this day they still do not like to trade and want to hold on to the cheapo pins I bought them. (yes, even the valentines day pin with Minnie and Mickey in a <3)

darthmacho
02-04-2012, 08:09 PM
My DD participated with a little guidance and supervision at age 6. We talked over the way it works and went over each trade before it was complete to make sure she really wanted to go through with it. It was just fine.

Dyanna
02-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Our last trip this past Oct DD was yrs old & started her 1st lanyard with pins & got into the trading very quickly. She has already started talking about bringing it with her for our next trip this Fall & doing it again. Just wait until you see how much its gonna cost you. Be prepared!