PDA

View Full Version : the "VALUE" isnt much of a "VALUE" anymore

minnie04
02-01-2012, 11:15 AM
What happend to to the Value Resorts they are priced right up there with the moderates... :confused:

PopPhan
02-01-2012, 11:30 AM
Not sure where you are getting that from.....

In VALUE season:
Caribbean Beach = $159 weeknights
Pop Century = $89 weeknights
Difference = $70/night

In REGULAR season:
Caribbean Beach = $180 weeknights
Pop Century = $114 weeknights
Difference = $66/night

Looks to me like a big difference in price....

I used Pop Century as it is the most expensive of the Value Resorts and Caribbean Beach as it is right next door to Pop.

An aside to that.....Moderate resorts have climbed in price quite a bit over the last 9-10 years....Our first trip to WDW was in 2003 and we stayed at Caribbean Beach for $77/night (although I think that this was a promotional rate -- I can't recall)

minnie04
02-01-2012, 11:46 AM
yeah the good old days when the All-Stars were $39 a night and I understand they arent extact to the price of the Moderates,but they used to be alot cheaper. The All Stars were our go to Resort when we wanted a quick, cheap vacation to orlando. Now we are looking off property for those deals and i hate it !!!

buzznwoodysmom
02-01-2012, 11:55 AM
yeah the good old days when the All-Stars were $39 a night and I understand they arent extact to the price of the Moderates,but they used to be alot cheaper. The All Stars were our go to Resort when we wanted a quick, cheap vacation to orlando. Now we are looking off property for those deals and i hate it !!!

I think what your seeing is that ALL resorts used to be a good deal cheaper. The values price has increased over the years, but so have the moderates and deluxe. I think the difference in price between the values and moderates is a fair difference.

Wow, you must have gotten some deal at $39 a night. In the 12+ years we've been going to WDW almost yearly I've never seen a value resort priced that low. I think the cheapest we've ever gotten for a value resort was with a military discount back when my kids were toddlers (they are now 12 and 10). The price was around $55 a night at that time.

Anytime I can get a room in a prime location (like being onsite in a resort like WDW) for under, or close to, $100 I think that's great, but maybe that's just me. :blush:

DizneyRox
02-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I think $39 is a bit of a stretch... $59 maybe, $79 is the new super low rate I think...

I don't think I've seen $39 a night for a room outside of international Drive and that was years ago! Might be able to pick up an associate rate at a local chain hotel for close to that, but not a general public type rate.

The deluxes have gone way up. I used to stay AKL for like $120 a night. It's up in the $300-$400 range these days. Value is a relative term and still applies with regards to WDW resorts.

minnie04
02-01-2012, 12:20 PM
The $39.00 a night was back in the 90's it was a Florida res. rate, that would show up in the Sunday paper every once in a while (like they do now on line) the highest we paid was $49 at the time without the deal and it slowly went up to $55 then $69 etc. the thing was we could go anytime it wasn’t a better deal on Thurs-Sun type thing. We could book all the days of the week now they make you choose to get the deals. I understand the park prices going up now and then, but the resorts are the same old resorts ya know(ok maybe new paint ). They haven’t done anything to make them any nicer and the minimum wages (in FLA) haven’t gone up so they are probably getting paid the same so why hike the price..Oh yeah I know why you don’t have to say it ...lol…

I was just used to feeling like it was a great deal, now you can get those prices off property for bigger rooms and kitchens etc.

I guess it's just me :confused:

Disney Hungarian
02-01-2012, 12:25 PM
I am booked at the All-Stars for next week. With the AP discount it is only 56.40 for the weeknights and 61 for this Saturday night. The deals are available. Many hotels on 192 are listed on travel sites in the $30 range. The total for my 6 night stay on property came to $377 taxes included.

Dopey's Girl
02-01-2012, 12:33 PM
I think the values are still a great value. Sure you could spend less, but in the long run, I think some of those cheap off site places end up costing more.

I do remember a time when you could book a value for around $40. Mom and I went to WDW in November 2001, and paid $59 for a moderate. That was a tough time for travel, and even Disney was feeling the pain.

badkitty
02-01-2012, 01:35 PM
I am booked at the All-Stars for next week. With the AP discount it is only 56.40 for the weeknights and 61 for this Saturday night. The deals are available. Many hotels on 192 are listed on travel sites in the $30 range. The total for my 6 night stay on property came to $377 taxes included.

What a great deal! Good for you. It definitely depends on what time of year you go as well.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I guarantee that you do not want to stay at an OP hotel that's advertised at the $30 per night rate. And minimum wage HAS gone up since the $39 nights at the value resorts. Minimum wage per Jan 1, 2012 was up to $7.67 per hour. So they ARE paying their employees more per hour than in the 90s by well over $2 per hour - as Minimum wage in the 90s was either below or just above $5 an hour.

Values are still a value if you are wanting to stay on property and can swing the per night rate. And they are still a value when compared with the nightly rate of the moderates and most definitely a better rate than the deluxe resorts nightly rate.

No,not everyone that is wanting to take their family to WDW can afford to stay on property, but those are also the ones that are packing in all meals, paying for no extras, and will definitely not be adding park hoppers.

disneymom15
02-01-2012, 02:05 PM
I think the values are still a great value. Sure you could spend less, but in the long run, I think some of those cheap off site places end up costing more.

I agree! Don't forget you'll have an additional cost to park your vehicle.

mdricks
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
I still think the values are at a "loss leader" price point. Keep an eye out for deals and use the right agent (MJ BTW!!) and you will find the overall vacation to equal or best off site solutions.

The only way I’ve ever seen an offsite solution win in the aggregate is when we do not eat out and grocery shop instead. We have also used "points" and travel vouchers which made the difference worthwhile.

Even if you don’t eat out, the added cost of transportation easily makes up for the 20$ a day difference between motel X and POP.

A cab is exorbitant, a rental is significant and parking at WDW is now $20 (i think) if you bring your own car.

So if you can borrow a place from your uncle Frank (been there done that), birng your own car, park at DTD and eat packed lunches you are in the money.

Even when we pinch everywhere we still come very close and why pass up on all the fun?

:number1:

minnie04
02-01-2012, 02:56 PM
I agree with everyone with all your valid points, but I guess I was just spoiled to the fact that we could just get up and go to the All-Stars any time of year and not pay an arm and a leg. I just can’t justify paying over $100 a night there when I know what we used to pay. And the rooms are still the same I KNOW “times” are different. At least when the park prices go up you a can say they are changing things, but resorts are still the same. Oh well I guess it won’t stop us from going (I don’t think anything could), but we will have to plan differently…

P.S. I just priced out a couple nights in the SUMMER (cheapest time to go) and it was $144 WHAT IS THAT!!! Really

And don't jump on me because I know they have Res. rates and other things coming out, but come on this is the old "jack it up to bring it down " and make us feel like we are getting a great deal!!

OH yeah and I also know if "I dont like it I dont have to stay there" :D

buzznwoodysmom
02-01-2012, 03:05 PM
I just can’t justify paying over $100 a night there when I know what we used to pay.

The same can be said for just about everything. Gas, groceries, clothing, going to the movies, eating out, any vacation destination! EVERYTHING cost more now than in the 90's. It's just part of life.

I get what your saying, I do, but I don't expect to pay the same price I paid 15 years ago for anything.

minnie04
02-01-2012, 03:15 PM
The same can be said for just about everything. Gas, groceries, clothing, going to the movies, eating out, any vacation destination! EVERYTHING cost more now than in the 90's. It's just part of life.

I get what your saying, I do, but I don't expect to pay the same price I paid 15 years ago for anything.

I dont either, but i would like to see some changes when they do add on to the price of a room that still looks like it did in the 90's...lol.. People always say "for what you pay to go to Disney now days you can go to better places and stay in nicers hotels". I dont agree, but im starting to think maybe they are right..

Terra
02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I get what your saying. I do think the value resorts are a little high. I don't think they really need to charge much over $70 anytime, but that's just my opinion.

However, we are staying at the POP the second week in March for 4 nights. My friend who works there got us a 40% Friends & Family discount and the total cost is about $350. A little much for us, BUT this is the first time we've ever stayed on property, a first "real" family vacation [even though we lived 45 minutes away ;)], so we'll pay it :)

Now, personally, I know some have knocked the $30 off site hotels. But we've stayed at a few of those. Last year I did a 2 night trip to Disney and we stayed at a cheap OP hotel. After taxes and "resort fees" I only paid $55. So less thank $30 a room and it was just fine. It's just a place to lay our heads and shower :)

Plus it came with the frig and micro [we didn't have to pay extra.]
But we're not wealthy by any means so we don't mind staying in cheaper hotels. While some people won't pay $30 because they think it's a "bad" hotel, I would never ever pay over $200 a night for a hotel room, someplace to sleep! lol

To each their own :)

The perk of course of staying on property is that you can use their transit system and/or your car and still not have to pay for parking in the parks! Off property, you do [if you don't have an AP].

PETE FROM NYC
02-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Just about everyone on these boards need their periodic Disney fix, and will get it at what they can afford.
I have stayed off site, at CBR, at POR, at the Allstars, and Pop. I always stayed where I could afford without being too extravagant. Now we are DVC members so we can stay better.
BTW, last 2 trips we drove to WDW, arrived a day early, and stayed at Knights Inn on 192 for under $40/ night. Nothing fancy, free microwave and fridge, and continental breakfast.

Terra
02-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Just about everyone on these boards need their periodic Disney fix, and will get it at what they can afford.
I have stayed off site, at CBR, at POR, at the Allstars, and Pop. I always stayed where I could afford without being too extravagant. Now we are DVC members so we can stay better.
BTW, last 2 trips we drove to WDW, arrived a day early, and stayed at Knights Inn on 192 for under $40/ night. Nothing fancy, free microwave and fridge, and continental breakfast.
Amen! :mickey:

I'm so excited to be going with my DH and 2 DS's. They don't know yet that we are going for almost a week AND staying OP at the POP!! :secret:

tarheelmjfan
02-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Being a FL resident, we usually plan our trips last minute. This means we miss out on discounts. We've started staying at Swan, Dolphin, Waldorf, Hilton BC, or Hilton LBV. We would rather stay at these resorts & get a much nicer hotel for the price. It's a personal choice, but I'm not paying more free lesser quality.

OP, check out the DTD hotels. You may be able to find a good deal there. I've never priced any of them, except for the Hilton, so I don't know for sure how much they run. You probably won't find a rate for less than $70, but you may find something that works for you.

greengeen
02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
P.S. I just priced out a couple nights in the SUMMER (cheapest time to go) and it was $144 WHAT IS THAT!!! Really

Summer is NOT the cheapest time to go. Summer is "regular" season, which is pricier than value season in Jan, Sept, Nov, etc.. We never go in summer due to the crowds, prices, and heat.

minnie04
02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Summer is NOT the cheapest time to go. Summer is "regular" season, which is pricier than value season in Jan, Sept, Nov, etc.. We never go in summer due to the crowds, prices, and heat.

Summer for us here in Florida is cheaper. I have found really good hotels for way less in the summer, but we too don't go during the summer because it is way to crowded and we can use our beaches and pools right here at home ..lol.. will let everyone use the parks in the summer and wait for the cooler weather (usually early Dec.)

SandmanGStefani24
02-02-2012, 08:15 PM
it was more than the cheap offsites, but I still got great value for what I paid, and it was still a nice ammt cheaper than the mods. I had a great time this trip. Nice room, great service, and just plain fun!

tarheelmjfan
02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Summer for us here in Florida is cheaper. I have found really good hotels for way less in the summer, but we too don't go during the summer because it is way to crowded and we can use our beaches and pools right here at home ..lol.. will let everyone use the parks in the summer and wait for the cooler weather (usually early Dec.)

Florida is strange that way. Summer is low season everywhere, except for the theme parks. It's high season for the parks. I remember finding it odd, when we first moved here. The theme parks benefit from school vacations. The rest of the state depends on snow birds &/or college breaks for visitors. The difference in the targeted clientele explains why the parks & the rest of the state have different peak seasons.

goofygirl67
02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
I just got POP for $114 for 2/24 and 2/25. I will then be transferring to Riverside for $117. All this on the resident rate. I found with the Daytona 500 this weekend that's why it is more, the weekend after was cheaper.