PDA

View Full Version : What color should I.....

disney obsessed
01-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Paint my ceiling? I have a warm buttercream color, kinda yellow, on my walls.

I am tired of white ceilings.

Taking all suggestions.

Madame Leona
02-01-2012, 07:39 AM
I usually just paint my ceiling to match the walls. I believe I read somewhere that it makes the room look bigger with one color.

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 08:14 AM
I usually just paint my ceiling to match the walls. I believe I read somewhere that it makes the room look bigger with one color.

Not if the color isn't a shade of white. If you paint the whole room the same color, ceiling included, the room will look smaller.

I'd stick with an off white, to be honest. The home we are renting has a similar buttercream (VERY light pale yellow) on most of the walls, but the ceilings are all an off white. It looks really nice. Look for an off white that has a yellow undertone.

Also, remember that if there are any light fixtures attached to the ceiling, if you have a "color" on the ceiling, the light will reflect off that, and your room will have strange lighting effect. That's why I think most ceilings are some shade of white.

hoop de do
02-01-2012, 08:33 AM
powder blue

buzznwoodysmom
02-01-2012, 08:40 AM
You might want to try to go with an off white or go a shade darker than any moldings if you have them. All the ceilings in our home are about a shade darker than our moldings. We have tons of crown and decorative moldings through our house and the darker shade on the ceiling make the moldings "pop" and add interest to the room.

The woman who lived in our house before us was the designer/decorator for the contractor that built our house. All our moldings, trims, and doors are painted Manchester Tan from Benjamin Moore. I think this color would be a good color for a ceiling, of course as long as it looks good with your existing wall color. I love color, repainting rooms, decorating, and I've found that Manchester Tan is a good "go to" color for just about anything. I like lots of color on the walls, and this color is a good neutral for other areas/pieces.

Basket Mommy
02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
A decorator friend of mine always told me to paint the ceiling two shades lighter than the walls to make the room look bigger.

princessgirls
02-01-2012, 09:52 AM
I have to admit, I like my white ceilings!! They look sharp. We had our home painted in 2007 when we moved in, all expect our bedroom, which is a pale green color, ceilings and all. I am itching to do this room over. The other rooms are looking great!!!

Julie:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-01-2012, 10:03 AM
If you don't want white ceilings, then paint the ceiling 2 to 3 shades lighter than your walls or a very pale shade of a complimentary color like blue.

SBETigg
02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm leery of making major changes like that. Our media room has a dark ceiling- we bought the house that way last year- and I have mixed feelings on it. It works in that room because it's meant to be dark for viewing, but I still don't like it much and we'll change it eventually. In our old rental, the landlord had the bathroom redone and went with a beige ceiling with brown walls and it was dismal.

You might consult a decorator for a professional opinion, or at least check out a lot of decorating sites before taking the plunge. What works in some houses won't work in others, and once you've made a change that big, you're stuck with it or have to redo.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-03-2012, 10:23 PM
DH's idea was to paint the ceiling in our living room two shades lighter than the pale gold color on the walls. I DON"T like it! To me it makes the room look smaller and dark. A golden caste...I want my white ceiling back! :(

Kairi_7378
02-11-2012, 09:43 PM
I'd try some of the websites where you can try out paint colors digitally on a screen. Gives you an idea of what a non white ceiling would look like.

The woman who owned our house before us painted the walls and ceiling of our living room pale blue. Looked like a cave, even with a light color. Love my new white ceilings!

garymacd
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Cream!

I think I'll paint the ceiling cream!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. It's the punchline from an old joke.

Seriously, Paint the ceiling lighter than the walls. It makes the room seem bigger.

henrylarry6
05-16-2012, 02:24 AM
In my experience, its very difficult to do a ceiling in anything other than white plaster. But if your up to the task, make sure to head to a pro to find the right type of interior paint (http://www.californiapaints.com/Products.html).

Scar
05-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Cream!

I think I'll paint the ceiling cream!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. It's the punchline from an old joke.You must be married.

Wolf
05-16-2012, 09:21 AM
I think a light very light purple would be pretty.