PDA

View Full Version : Disney and Wine - these are a few of my favorite things!

Melanie
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
Great article from the Disney Insider. I'd love to go visit these wineries! :wine:

January 31, 2012

You'll Never Guess Who's Making Wine!

Far from the fireworks, parades, and attractions of Disneyland Park, a different kind of pixie dust is making magic in Northern California ... and Tinker Bell is nowhere to be seen. Here bouquet bests balloons and the grape takes center stage in a lush setting that welcomes thrill-seekers of another breed – wine enthusiasts. Though Theme Parks can't be beat, this adult playground of sorts offers another type of Disney experience as some of the Company's most illustrious have turned their talents to winemaking. Diane Disney Miller, John Lasseter, Rich Frank, and Fess Parker are among the entertainment industry's most notable vintners, so pour yourself a glass of pinot while we reveal the latest from the grapevine.

DIANE DISNEY MILLER

Diane Disney Miller, Walt's eldest daughter, and her husband Ron loved Napa Valley so much that they purchased their first vineyard #once owned by famed candy maker Harry See!# in the 1970s, selling grapes to local vintners before building the elegant Silverado Winery in 1980. With the help of winemaker Jonathan Emmerich, they've been producing award-winning varietals ever since. In addition to Silverado, the Millers acquired six other vineyards – including Stags' Leap, Miller Ranch, Mt. George, Soda Creek Ranch, Vineburg, and Firetree – for an approximate total of 600 acres.

Named after an abandoned mining town nestled at the top of Napa Valley, the Miller's California Mission-style winery is open to the public for various tastings, tours, fine dining, and receptions. Connoisseurs can sip cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, chardonnay, sauvignon blanc, semillon, sangiovese, petit verdot, and merlot on a sunset-kissed terrace where the views are nothing short of a real-life fairytale.

JOHN LASSETER

When Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter and wife Nancy moved to the heart of wine country in 1992, little did they know their appreciation for French wine would escalate into a family business that, at one point, would span three generations. The Lasseters realized they needed to take their passion to the next level after being introduced to winemaking through friends Marcy and Tommy Smothers #of the "Smothers Brothers" fame#, owners of Remick Ridge Vineyards.

In 2002, John and Nancy purchased the Justi Creek Vineyards, nestled on 27 acres in Sonoma Valley. They promptly began renovating the historic property to employ organic farming practices and built a state-of-the-art, eco-friendly winery in 2009. Together with master oenologist Julia Iantosca, the Lasseter Family Winery in Glen Ellen has created amoureux, chemin de fer, enjoué, paysage, rhône, syrah rose, and St. Emilion signature blends from Bordeaux and Rhône varietals that include malbec, merlot, cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, syrah, grenache, and mourvèdre.

Their old-World approach to boutique winemaking reflects the fine wines they enjoy drinking themselves – and has helped them in their quest to produce the highest quality wine possible. Starting in 2012, aficionados can attend limited tastings at the arty winery that features a stainless-steel fermentation tank turned into a luxe lounge. Lucky guests might even catch John chugging along the syrah vineyard on the Marie-E, a vintage steam train that was once owned by John's mentor, animator Ollie Johnston #one of Walt's original Nine Old Men#. Another trivia tidbit for animation buffs: The winery's logo features graphics that represent each family member – a wild rose for Nancy, five grapes for each of the couple's sons, and Wally B for John, a character from his short film "The Adventures of André & Wally B."

FESS PARKER

When Disney luminary Fess Parker retired from acting, he purchased a 714-acre Los Olivos ranch in 1987 and promptly established Fess Parker's Winery & Vineyard. The spirit of the actor – who was famous for starring in Disney's "Davy Crockett" television series in the late 1950s and 1960s – lives on in the Santa Ynez Valley, where his family continues to run the now-1,500-acre vineyard and produce some of the region's finest wines. Only 35 miles north of Santa Barbara, the winery is open for public tastings and is one of the stand-out stops along the Foxen Canyon Wine Trail, a fabled stretch that's home to many of the area's top wineries.

RICH FRANK

Former Disney executive Rich Frank and his wife Connie purchased Calistoga Winery in 1992, which now operates as Frank Family Vineyards. Built in 1884, the eastern Napa Valley winery offers visitors tastings, tours, and a chance to bask in the picnic area's aromatic ambiance. Frank Family Vineyards produces limited quantities of several unique cabernet sauvignons as well as chardonnay, zinfandel, and sangiovese, which are all available at the wine shop and select restaurants.

Another type of status comes into play for stars lured into making divine libations – the personal thrill of serving their own brand of wine to family and friends. Other Disney VIPs who can't resist the call of the grape include actor/comedian Robin Williams #the voice of Genie in "Aladdin"#, owner of a 224-acre vineyard in Mount Veeder, and champion race car driver Mario Andretti #"Cars"#, who operates Napa Valley's 53-acre Andretti Winery.

Can't make it to wine country? Experience the feel of Napa Valley at Wine Country Trattoria, a fine-dining restaurant located in Disney California Adventure Park. Their extensive wine list features some of the world's finest wines. Or make a reservation at the elegant Napa Rose, where expert sommeliers will help you select from an award-winning assortment of California wines ... salud!

faline
01-31-2012, 08:04 PM
I haven't had a chance to visit any of the wineries but we did enjoy a bottle from Fess Parker's vineyard on a trip to Disneyland.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I haven't had a chance to visit any of the wineries but we did enjoy a bottle from Fess Parker's vineyard on a trip to Disneyland.

Is it served in all the restaurants at the resort Linda?

faline
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
If I remember correctly, we had it at Napa Rose.

Fangorn
01-31-2012, 08:19 PM
The Fess Parker Riesling is served at Narcoossee's. DW and I enjoyed it this past Sunday. Incidentally, Narcoossee's started doing the wine flight thing on Sunday as well.

Steve

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
The Fess Parker wines are pretty popular all over So. Cal. My dad is a fan of them, as he used to love watching Davy Crockett when he was a kid!

There is a HUGE bottle of Lasseter wine in the entrance of Napa Rose. It is autographed by John Lasseter and features Animation Cel-like images of a few popular Pixar characters. The Lasseter wines have been featured at Napa Rose for a couple years. I remember the first time DH and I ate there, we saw that bottle of wine and didn't realize it was his own label. We were wondering why he had autographed and drawn all over a random bottle of wine. :blush:

SBETigg
01-31-2012, 08:36 PM
A few of my favorite things, too! Thanks for sharing the article.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Disney AND Wine?!? Bucket List for DH and I - a trip to California.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
They should serve ALL of these at California Grill!

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 08:26 AM

They should! But, isn't CA Grill going to close soon for a huge refurbishment/retheme? I heard that recently...something about roof work needing to be done at CR. The California "theme" might be going away. :(

GAN
02-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Nice article. We've been to Fess Parker and it's very nice -wines are good as well. The Santa Barbara region is one of our favorites -the Pinot Noir can't be beat in my opinion. It is much more laid back compared to Napa(which is fabulous in it's own way), you get the feeling that you are visiting farms rather than "wine marketers" and the countryside is just gorgeous. Anyone considering a California wine trip should look into this region.

Remember Sideways ... you'll want to eat [at the Hitching Post Restaurant.]

[link removed per TOS]

SBETigg
02-01-2012, 10:13 AM

I don't know. I would have to be more familiar with them to see if I agree. I have not been impressed with the Fess Parker that I have tried, though I'm sure some are quite good. I wouldn't want them to Disney up the wine list just to have those ties. A few would be fun, but not at the expense of a varied selection of really good wines (not that these are not, would have to try them all and there's some personal taste involved).

brownie
02-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Pixar posted a video on YouTube on a day in the life of John Lasseter. I believe it shows and/or talks a little bit about his wines in it.