PDA

View Full Version : Largest pool not just best pool

Catzle
01-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Just wondering about the largest pool not just the best pool. We have always stayed at the poly and wondering if there is a BIGGER pool where you don't feel like everyone is standing on you when its the resort is full. We are going for the first time at the end of June and we are worried that the pool will be so full we won't be able to enjoy it. So we are thinking about switching resorts based on the pool.
Thanks for any info.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
I don't know anything for certain, but to me the pool at Animal Kingdom Lodge seems huge.

joonyer
01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
The pool at Coronado Springs is pretty big, too. Of course it's not a deluxe hotel, but many of the guest there are conventioneers, so I don't think as many guests use the pool there. It has a cool slide too.

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Square footage wise, Stormalong Bay at the YC/BC is the largest pool on property. I believe the Grotto Pool at the Swan/Dolphin is second largest.

The Volcano pool is actually one of the smallest ones...

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
For pools, I would look at POR.

It has a good-sized main themed pool (with a cool slide) AND a number of "quiet" pools throughout the resort. You also get to use the pool at POFQ, so if pools are important, there is lots of choice.

We were at POR in August, and the quiet pools were usually almost empty (us and one other family) and we never found the main pool to be crazy busy either, although it was much busier than the quiet ones.

Mickey'sGirl
01-31-2012, 06:02 PM
The Animal Kingdom Lodge pool is pretty huge, but honestly, I've never felt so crowded out at a pool! It was always busy and hot when we stayed there last August.

I agree with Heather that the POR pool is a decent size, as is the Coronado pool.

Catzle
01-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks, the poly main pool is always crowded and worried its going to be worse when we go this time. Swimming is as important to my girls as is going to the parks.

minnie-mouse
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
I agree, the Poly pool and surrounding lounging area is small for the size of the resort. It always seems crowded to me, especially in the afternoons.

Basket Mommy
01-31-2012, 07:13 PM
Funny you should ask this... I just read yesterday on another site that the pool at AKL Jambo House is Disney World's largest hotel pool. It felt large when we were there last week, esp. since hardly anyone was using it!

faline
01-31-2012, 08:08 PM
I've read that the pool at the Yacht Club and Beach Club covers 3 acres and is the largest resort pool on property.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 08:18 PM
I've read that the pool at the Yacht Club and Beach Club covers 3 acres and is the largest resort pool on property.

I guess it just doesn't feel that big because it's not very wide in many places. Looking out over the pool at AKL, it just feels ginormous! And I agree the pool is large and so much fun at Coronado Springs. We've never felt it to be overcrowded, guessing because it's a conventioner's hotel?

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 08:36 PM
I guess it just doesn't feel that big because it's not very wide in many places.

From an overhead perspective, this pool does not seem that large because it is winding. However, when you are swimming in it, from end to end, it is HUGE!!! Seriously, the pool just goes on and on forever, and there are many hidden nooks, waterfalls, etc. It is bigger than it looks. It is definitely the largest pool I've ever been in, besides the wave pools at the water parks.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
From an overhead perspective, this pool does not seem that large because it is winding. However, when you are swimming in it, from end to end, it is HUGE!!! Seriously, the pool just goes on and on forever, and there are many hidden nooks, waterfalls, etc. It is bigger than it looks.

Right. There just isn't a place you can really stand and look from end to end. I know it's very lengthy.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Hmmm, doing a little research on this and finding some interesting facts.

This is quoted from Deb's site - The Uzima Springs pool is the largest on Disney property, over 11,000 square feet.

And this is from an article on examiner.com from 2009 - The Uzima Springs pool Uzima means "clear water," and there's plenty of water to enjoy. This pool is the largest of any Disney property with over 11,000 square feet.

The only measurement I find on Stormalong Bay is 3 acres.

When I do the conversion, I get "3 acre = 130680 ft²".

So not sure how these articles and Deb's site can say Uzima Springs is the largest. The only thing I can think is they are accounting for the entire pool area, not just the water. I guess a water gallon count would tell the tale. :confused:

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
Well, technically, SAB is THREE separate pools. Maybe that is the reason for the discrepancy?

c&d
02-01-2012, 09:15 AM
When we stayed at CSR the main pool never felt crowded. We were there in late August and there was plenty of room. The quiet pool in the Casistas section was also large, so maybe the people were more evenly split between the two.

Beckybalz
02-01-2012, 12:02 PM
I've stayed at AKL several different times and the pool is big, but it has always been very crowded when I go. We've stayed there in April and August. This past August we stayed at the Contemporary for the first time and the pool was practically empty every day! It was great. And the short walk to the Magic Kingdom can't be beat!

Beckybalz
02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
I forgot to add that I love the Yacht & Beach Club pool, especially if you have young kids because they can play in the shallow water/sand area.

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 01:02 PM
I forgot to add that I love the Yacht & Beach Club pool, especially if you have young kids because they can play in the shallow water/sand area.

And parents can sit in the hot tub with a frozen :marg: and watch them while they are in there! That's MY favorite part! :thumbsup:

Catzle
02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
How about the grand Floridian for pools

SBETigg
02-01-2012, 04:40 PM

Two great pools, the Courtyard pool is more or less the quiet pool, but it's big and comfortable and I prefer it, right next to the hot tub. The beach pool has the waterfall and slide, zero entry, probably gets a little more crowded but not bad. Each pool has a pool bar/snack area and plenty of chairs/chaises.

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Pretty, but boring. How old are your kids?

Contemporary has a better pool (and slide) than GF. It's also larger than Polynesian's pool.

Catzle
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
my girls are 10 and 13

BrerGnat
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM
my girls are 10 and 13

Well, they might love the GF, then. It's a nice pool to be fair, but it's just not "exciting", if that's an important factor.

disneynarula
02-02-2012, 09:26 AM
We love the pool at Saratoga Springs resort

iheartdisney
02-02-2012, 07:17 PM
At ages 10 and 13 I think your kids will enjoy Stormalong Bay most. It's my kid's favorite pool

Re: POR and the ability to use FQ pool. I find those pools pretty busy. And we've only stayed there during the "off" season.

faline
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM

I've never been in the new pool. When we stayed there, what is now the quiet pool was the main pool. We enjoyed it but for those who enjoy slides etc. it would not have been very exciting.

SBETigg
02-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Pretty, but boring. How old are your kids?

Contemporary has a better pool (and slide) than GF. It's also larger than Polynesian's pool.

I really disagree with this. My kids did not find it boring at all. My son said the slide was better at the GF, even though he prefers the Poly overall. My daughter prefers the GF after staying at both a few times. There's zero entry, a waterfall and rock face, great slide, and more room to move around than at the Poly pool. Maybe a volcano is more exciting, but as far as enjoying the pool, my kids loved the GF and having the choice of pools, the large courtyard pool for quieter swims and the fun beach pool for more active enjoyment. Plus there was more space for adults to spread out and enjoy the atmosphere at both GF pools vs the crowd on the beach/around the pool at the Poly.

Fangorn
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
Ok, I admit it, I'm a "numbers guy", and this discussion intrigued me since different units of measure are used by Disney to describe (hype?) their properties. Since the concensus seems to be the largest pools are Stormalong Bay, Uzima Springs and the main pool at Coronado Springs, I did a little bit of digging on those three and found these statistics:

Stormalong Bay holds 750,000 gallons of water
Uzima Springs holds 411,429 gallons*
Coronado Spings holds 272,000 gallons.

*This number is my calculation. It is based on the pool being 11,000 square feet, and using an average depth of 5 feet. Converting cubic feet to gallons gives this number. An average depth of 6 feet would give us 493,714 gallons, but I suspect the 5 foot figure is closer to the truth.

In any case, based on the volume of water, Stormalong bay is the clear winner here.

Steve
:mickey:

Basket Mommy
02-03-2012, 08:15 AM
In any case, based on the volume of water, Stormalong bay is the clear winner here.

True, but Stormalong Bay's pools are not all connected. If you look at an aerial view, it actually appears to be 3 separate pools. You cannot argue with the amount of water at Stormalong, but if you're looking for one continuous pool with the most water, it's Uzima. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things. Just another perspective. ; )

Fangorn
02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
You cannot argue with the amount of water at Stormalong, but if you're looking for one continuous pool with the most water, it's Uzima.

I think that was kinda where I was headed, but I didnt' complete my thought (except in my head :mickey:). "Largest" can have many meanings, and pure volume of water is only one of them. Most square feet of water surface is another way to look at it.

Steve
:mickey:

GAN
02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
my girls are 10 and 13

We love the theme pools -but you make a great point, when they are crowded who is really enjoying it. At your girls' age the zero-entry feature is cool but not going to hold their interest, and honestly I think the slide(except maybe at SAB) would wear off quick. A few years ago our daughters were the same age -sure the slide and theme was cool but after about 30 minutes they couldn't take all the younger children(they were limited because they had to watch out for the younger kids). We went for a walk and found the quiet pool -they had the whole pool to themselves along with noodles and all the other pool stuff. We never went back to the theme pool -and it was MUCH more enjoyable for my wife and myself!