PDA

View Full Version : Washington, DC museums for kids-suggestions?

minnie-mouse
01-31-2012, 09:36 AM
My kids are finally old enough to enjoy the museums. Any suggestions for some fun places to take them in DC?

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
The Natural History Museum is good for older kids. Also, the American History Museum (these are right next to each other).

My sons LOVE the Air and Space Museum, but not the one on the Nat'l Mall, the one over by Dulles Airport (The Udvar-Hazy Center). That one is a MASSIVE hangar full of planes, helicopters, and even a space shuttle!

The Zoo is good for kids.

That's all I can recommend from personal experience. My boys are 5 and 7. Older kids will get MUCH more out of it. If your kids are older than about 10, and know about the presidents, the Lincoln and Washington Memorials are cool to see. Also, Mount Vernon would be good for older kids.

Strmchsr
01-31-2012, 10:23 AM
:ditto: but I would also add in the spy museum. My son loved that place and it has some cool interactive stuff. Any of the Smithsonian museums are worthwhile for the kids.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Spy Museum would be a must, it was awesome!

DD also liked the Museum of Natural History, and parts of the American History, but some of the nostalgia was lost on her.

NJGIRL
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
I have to say that I have the same suggestions. The Air & Space, Natural History, American History, Spy Museum. Depending on their ages Arlington Cementary, Ford's Theater, a tour of the monuments.

GAN
01-31-2012, 12:10 PM
I would second Arlington National Cemetery. Among the important monuments would be the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with the changing of the guard, and also the Washington-Lee House which has a great history.

minnie-mouse
02-01-2012, 11:24 AM
Thanks, my kids are 6 and 8 and very interested in checking out the museums. I appreciate the suggestions.

Janmac
02-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Our grandkids loved the Natural History Museum at 5 and 6. At 9 and 10 they were immensely impressed with the changing of the guard at Arlington.

Jan

ksullivan
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
The first time we went our kids were 7 and 10. We tailored our trip to their interests and knowledge of history. Both kids had learned a lot about Lincoln, or the "penny man" as my 7 year old called him so we went to Ford's Theatre and the house across the street where he died. We went to the Lincoln Memorial and found the spot on the steps which marks the spot Martin luther King gave his famous speech. The Natural History Museum is great because of the dinosaur bones and animal exhibits, American History has a great exhibit on the history of transportation in America which my kids always seemed to like. The Air and Space is great for young kids because there are a lot of interactive exhibits. We also walked all the way up the mall to the Capitol stopping at different sculpture gardens along the way, taking pictures with the art and relaxing near the fountains. The Botanical Gardens are up near the Capitol too. They weren't so crazy about Arlington, but when we went back five years later they appreciated it a lot more. And yes, do not forget about the pandas at the zoo. We have been to DC three times and always manage to find new things to do every time we go. Great place to visit!

minnie-mouse
02-08-2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks! Yes we have been doing the zoo every year. Kids love it.

BowTie7
02-08-2012, 06:26 PM
With so many free museums so close together, don't be afraid to try as many as possible. You can stop by briefly and just see if anything catches the kids imagination and if not, just move on. Plus, some of the smaller ones can be less crowded.

Kairi_7378
02-19-2012, 10:26 AM
We have been taking our now 3 year old to DC since he was 7 months old.

I have been pleasanty surprised at some of the items that he enjoyed visiting. In the Freer Gallery, he always wants to say hello to the samauri statues. I think that his favorite museum is the American History... he likes to visit Dumbo, the trains, Julia Child, and the first ladies'. (He likes listening to stories about the Presidents' wives for some reason.) There are sometimes demonstrations at the Museum of the American Indian. (Not my favorite museum for exhibits, but the one with the most interesting food court.)

As a family, our favorite monuments to visit are the WWII and Korean War memorial. He seems to "get" these more than the others at this point.