PDA

View Full Version : Does the food have this effect on anyone else?

disneymomma2010
01-30-2012, 09:28 AM
A few years ago, our first time with free dining, i was, well, going to the restroom frequently. I thought i had a stomach virus. The next year same thing, i thought it was the coffee i was drinking in the morning. Last trip we had the whole family with us and mostly everyone else had the same problem. Apparently, even though we love having the dining plan, our stomach does not handle the wdw food well :sick:. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just us?

BugeyedMuggy
01-30-2012, 09:45 AM
We just cannot eat that much food at one time so maybe that is what you are having a problem with. When on the dining plan you always feel you have to eat all the courses or you don't get you $$$'s worth (and you don't). Also try not to get too much fried or greasy food.

ginny57
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM
The only time my fam had an issue was after dinner @ Chef Mickey's. I was fine but the guys were bathroom bound for a few days. The only thing they ate that I didn't was shrimp....I don't eat seafood....but otherwise never had any problems.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Never had that problem, sometimes the opposite there. Like another poster said though, it isn't suprising with all the rich food,.

tazlikesrobots
01-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Never had an issue....

TinkerbellT421
01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
The only time I had a problem was when we stayed at pop about five years ago. The tie dye cheesecake hated me apparently and I have not touched it since! The only time I have an issue is anything too spicy. My stomach hates spicy. My stomach is pretty used to richer foods though after eating a lot of Italian, Portugeuse foods so that doesn't tend to bother me.

brivers222
01-30-2012, 11:40 AM
stock up on fiber gummies and stuff. I have found when I don't add extra fiber to my diet many restaurants have that effect on me (not just at disney) I was a little nervous being on the deluxe as I have this thing about using public rest rooms...but with the fiber gummies and such, I was fine.... Except for once after Ohana dinner I had to surcomb to my bowels in future world.

#1donaldfan
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
....maybe it's the water (ice cubes)??!! I've never had that problem with the food !! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I carry immodium in my purse at all times....but I have issues with no gall bladder and certain foods.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
I had to laugh..I carry Immodium with me everywhere I go...just in case! :secret: Now, we've never had to use it, but at least I have it. We don't seem to have that problem, but my DH taught me many years ago to stop eating when I was full. Sounds like kind of a "duh" thing to think of, but I always used to just finish it off!

brivers222
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I had to laugh..I carry Immodium with me everywhere I go...just in case! :secret: Now, we've never had to use it, but at least I have it. We don't seem to have that problem, but my DH taught me many years ago to stop eating when I was full. Sounds like kind of a "duh" thing to think of, but I always used to just finish it off!

lol totally funny cause we stopped at walmart and got some immodium.... I joked with DW saying i will be using it as a preemptive strike!

SBETigg
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
I think a lot of people have stomach issues when they travel, not just at WDW but anywhere. Habits change and you're exposed to new situations. It could also be the variety of the diet is not what you're used to, or that you ended up eating something tainted and got a touch of food poisoning.

I'm often reading posts like "I'll never go back to Restaurant X again, I got such food poisoning there." And most of us have eaten at the same place and had no issues. But there's so much food going out to diners every day that there are bound to be issues at any given place from time to time. It's a chance you take with eating out. Also, it's not always so easy to pinpoint the culprit. Food poisoning can take up to 48 hours to kick in. You can't always just blame the last place you ate. It could be airport food or something you ate on the road, or the meal you just had at WDW. You don't always know.

lighteningqueen
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
[

Big time this past week. I stayed in cramps and did not eat much after the first day. I got it that night after Crystals breakfast and Pecos Bills for mid day lunch. Then I just wouldn't eat much. Nothing is any good out there but Teppon Edo our last meal Friday night 3 days ago. I lost the Magic this trip and will not go back for several years.. There is not much magic or change there to warrent going back until some major changes

Katzateer
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
My youngest won't eat in the food court at POP she got sick 3 different trips and only would feel bad after eating at that food court-never did figure out what she couldn't handle but we avoid it and dine elsewhere. Doesn't bother me or my husband since we have gone there without her.

lighteningqueen
01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Mine was worse than just cramps and dia. Not to be graphic but bleeding scared me for 3 days. We just went Jan 20-28 and truly only had 2 good meals Teppon and Columbia shrimp basket. The morning we left I had the breakfast platter at POP and was sick all the day long on the plane.. I just was very disappointed in Disney this time. packed with people and rude people at that., No happy faces. yelling at kids yelling at each other Prices thru the roof on food and merchandise.. Packed buses always had to stand. Brazillions by the bazillions.. I saw lots and lots of familys that brought in their own food this time. I can see why now..

ElenitaB
01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I've gotten pretty sick as has my cousin who often travelled with us. We suspected that Disney uses some kind of wash for its produce that made us ill. And by the end of every trip, I just can't see more food... and my whole digestive system gets out of whack — not necessarily because I've overindulged but that I'm just not eating enough fruits and veggies (as in I'm afraid to eat salads there because of the issue mentioned above).

crltkcagle
01-30-2012, 09:51 PM
I guess since my family isn't used to eating out all that often when we go to Disney and eat out twice a day it does crazy things to our tummies. On this past trip my son had the worst gas I have ever smelled in my life! I guess a week of burgers and fries will do that to a person. I kept tums in my purse for him but he was quite the little stink bomb! :eek::eek2:

mydisneygirls
01-30-2012, 10:34 PM
Luckily we've never had a problem but I think those that do, and there seems to be many, should inform Disney.

hauntedmansiongirl
01-31-2012, 04:24 AM
We have only had problems twice. The first was at The Coral Reef. The only thing that we both had was the lobster bisque soup. Amazing, but too rich for us. The second year we decided to try it again as we thought it was a fluke. Again, we had issues within an hour of eating. Again, it was the only thing that we both had to eat. Too much of a coincidence! Since then we have eaten at Coral Reef man times and never had a problem! :mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
01-31-2012, 08:20 AM
I don't do well with Florida water. Took me awhile to figure that out. Every time you have a glass of tea or a fountain drink, you're adding to the total intake. Found that once I was aware of that and limited the tap, problems ceased!

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 10:17 AM
I think a lot of this is due to simple viruses people pick up at the parks and resorts. Honestly, true food poisoning is VERY rare, and outbreaks affect a LOT of people.

My mom once had an episode of bloody dia, and she was CONVINCED she had food poisoning, she went to the hospital, they tested her stool and everything...it was a virus.

This is the time of year where stomach bugs run rampant. Currently, three out of four of our household members are down with a nasty stomach bug/upper respiratory illness (me being one of them). :( It was going around my kindergartner's class last week.

I do often have digestive issues at WDW, but also anytime I travel ANYWHERE. My body doesn't adjust well to change. The one time I got violently sick at WDW, I know that I caught it ahead of arriving, as I got sick the very first day of my seven day trip. I could have blamed it on the chicken ceasar salad I ate the night of arrival, but that was not what made me sick. I was sick for 3 days, and it was a virus.

DH has been sick to his stomach on our last two WDW trips. The first time was "classic stomach bug" which he passed on to the kids at the end of the week. This last trip, we figured out he was lactose intolerant and he got very sick after eating a LOT of pizza, with a LOT of cheese on it. We all ate the same exact pizza, and only DH got sick, so we know it was not food poisoning that time either.

My point is, there are SO many germs at WDW. I used to joke around about how Disneyland was a petri dish. We used to visit often when we lived over there, and almost EVERY time, within 3 days of going there, one of us was sick like clockwork.

It stinks to be sick on vacation, and it can really put a damper on your trip. However, you can't just automatically blame the food all the time. However, in cases where you think food got you ill, it's MORE likely an instance of someone in the food prep being sick and not adequately washing hands, than food poisoning due to a bacteria. It's just the chance you take eating out, as someone mentioned before.

I was just there in December, and all our food was VERY enjoyable, fresh, hot and I spent the whole week feeling GREAT. That is rare for me on vacation, and I was happy to not have any "issues" this time around.

peter's #1 fan
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
I also have had tummy troubles after eating salad at Disney World and figured it to be what they washed the salad with. So I know not to eat salad anymore while there.

LVT
02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I am with BrerGnat. We only go to WDW every other year, but the standard travel tummies follow us every where else.

Different water and different food will do that.

On the other hand, extreme vomiting and diarrhea that lasts more than a day may be food poisoning, or require medical care for dehydration.

CanadaLovesDisney
02-02-2012, 08:56 PM
It's possible they put something special in their food. An addicting additive because we keep going back!!!! And stuffing our faces!! And we love it!!

disneymomma2010
02-02-2012, 09:25 PM
Wow, I thought I would only have a few responses. It sounds like it's a pretty common thing. I guess I will just make sure to take some meds with me next time. Thanks for all the helpful responses!:thumbsup:

antngoof89
02-03-2012, 03:54 AM
My family and I went to Disney in Early January during Marathon weekend and had no problems with the food other than what was expected. I live on my own in an apartment, so I don't eat much rich food or greasy food as I usually cook at home to safe money and the rest of my family is the same way. The food is always EXCELLENT at Disney, however, I do have problems with the Eggs at the breakfast meals. I'm not a big Breakfast person and I generally don't eat much egg at all so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I think your diet being changed has something to do with it as I am back on my normal diet and experienced the same issues I had at Disney after being home for 2 weeks.

BrerGnat
02-03-2012, 08:10 AM
My family and I went to Disney in Early January during Marathon weekend and had no problems with the food other than what was expected. I live on my own in an apartment, so I don't eat much rich food or greasy food as I usually cook at home to safe money and the rest of my family is the same way. The food is always EXCELLENT at Disney, however, I do have problems with the Eggs at the breakfast meals. I'm not a big Breakfast person and I generally don't eat much egg at all so I'm sure that has something to do with it. I think your diet being changed has something to do with it as I am back on my normal diet and experienced the same issues I had at Disney after being home for 2 weeks.

The eggs at WDW, for the most part, are reconstituted powdered eggs. That might be why you had a weird reaction to them.

I don't eat eggs at WDW unless I can specify how I want them cooked and know that a cook is actually cracking shell to get them to me.

CuteAsMinnie
02-06-2012, 02:44 PM
It could just be too much darn food. :blush:

chrim
02-11-2012, 08:16 PM
I have had these problems at WDW in the past as well, and haven't figured out exactly what it is, yet.

I have read eating too much sugar and caffeine can lead to diarrhea, so perhaps that is part of my problem (i.e. too many unlimited refills and large drinks).

It might also be the tap water (used in fountain drinks, ice, as well as being served strait up), but I am not sure.

Pepto seems to help more than Imodium. I have heard that Imodium treats the symptoms while Pepto treats the root cause. Also, you can safely take Pepto in advance to help prevent or reduce problems in the first place.

chrim
02-11-2012, 08:20 PM
The eggs at WDW, for the most part, are reconstituted powdered eggs. That might be why you had a weird reaction to them.

I don't eat eggs at WDW unless I can specify how I want them cooked and know that a cook is actually cracking shell to get them to me.

Agreed. I generally stay away from omelets and scrambled eggs at WDW and DCL. I agree with the comment about shelled eggs (fried and poached eggs are a good choice, I think).

mouseketeer mom
02-12-2012, 08:09 AM
It could just be too much darn food. :blush:

That's what I think. Even though I do my best to make healthy choices in WDW, like I do at home., it's not the same. The salt, fat, sugar, everything..it's just not "clean" food, it's mass produced and it doesn't feel as good in my system. This past trip, (2 wks ago), I made a point to eat less then I normally do on my trips, and made healthier choices. Even at Le Cellier, I chose the salmon. This is the first trip I came home with my stomach as flat as it usually is, no weight gain, and no stomach issues. I had to tell myself the whole trip that I didn't need that dessert, or that dole whip, or that whatever. And I didn't miss it, and I didn't feel awful.

goofygirl67
02-12-2012, 02:03 PM
All this talk makes me wonder what actaully made me sick this past December. I had been at WDW for 9 days already when I got sick, I did change resorts after 7.
I ate at RFC at AK and within an hour had to go to the restroom. Soon after my stomach started feeling queasy so I went behind the Tree of Life to sit for awhile. It didn't take long before I :ack:.
It was almost 3 days before I could comfortably again. Good news is I lost 10lbs in 2 days, but I don't recommend doing it that way.

dulyjs
02-12-2012, 02:31 PM
It's an intersting topic. It could be coincidence that the last three times down there different members of my family have had gastrointestinal issues. It just doesn't seem likely.

antngoof89
02-12-2012, 05:01 PM
It is interesting, but I'm sure it's a normal cause. Food at a large resort like that wouldn't have problems that the Food Safety Department in Florida would need to shut down like some people seem to be suggesting. The food is heavy, rich, fattening, and ultimately, is not meant to be eaten as much as the dining plans suggest we do. That food is supposed to be special occasion food that we tend to overeat when given the opportunity to do so. Good food is hard to turn down, so the first reaction is to blame the people cooking it when really the consumer is who's to blame. We feel sick from the food from over-consumption of food that NOBODY eats as part of their regular diet as frequent as you do when vacationing.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
I know for me, the water does me in. So now I bring in bottled water and bottles or cans of Pepsi and that seems to help a lot. I'm even willing to drink them warmish to help with the intestinal issues.
And I think eating or over eating as the case may be, does have a lot to do with it. I certainly don't eat quite so much when I'm at home nor do I eat all the rich foods at home. So even being on the dining plan, I do not feel the need to eat everything on my place. I eat some of this and some of that and when I'm done, I'm done.

disneymomma2010
02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I definately think being on the dining plan had alot to do with it. Having a dessert with everymeal, and the types of food I ate, along with the heat. I will just try to make wiser decisions next time, even though I did try to eat more salads instead of heavy meals last time. And drink tons of water to flush it out!

BriarRose0708
02-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I learned my lesson about ordering "whatever I want" just because I was on the dining plan. And, it was back when an app was included at table services. After the first day of eating rich meals and fried food, I was running to the bathroom every hour or so. Not only did my intestinal track hurt, it impacted my mood and the rest of my fellow travelers because I was grumpy. Not the most magical way to be!

After that trip I made sure to order dishes with vegetables or fruit on the side instead of fried things and drink a LOT of water. Disney water doesn't bother me so I fill up my reusable bottles at counter services or water fountains. Soda, coffee, tea and anything with caffeine dehydrates you, which can add to intestinal discomfort.

If you follow a healthy lifestyle at home, try your best to stick with it while on vacation anywhere and allow yourself one or two meals that are an indulgence. All things in moderation can apply on vacations too!

mom2morgan
02-16-2012, 11:38 AM
Never. Ever. And it actually makes me really mad when people want to imply there is something "wrong" with any restaurant when they have most likely done it to themselves with sudden changes in lifestyle (more food, richer food, or whatever). I hear that a lot at home as well - "I'm sick, I must have got food poisoning from (insert the last place they ate)" Maybe I'm sensitive to this because my family used to run a restaurant, and the idea that a false rumour of food poisoning could do real financial damage.

Gator
02-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Actually, I have the opposite when I'm at WDW. You would think with all the food I eat, I would be going a lot. But with all the walking, I guess I burn off the calories quickly.

However, the sulfur in the water in Orlando tends to "lock me up". I tend to bring fiber bars just to offset the water.

tarheelmjfan
02-17-2012, 06:33 PM
The water doesn't bother me, but I live an hour from WDW. Our water is probably the same. I definitely eat more at WDW than home, which can lead to problems. I spend every day leading up to our trips planning what I'm going to order & what snacks I want. That is my treat to myself for watching what I eat on a daily basis at home. It makes sense that my body may revolt at times.

An upset stomach & food poisoning are two very different things. I got food poisoning from a McRib once. Within a couple hours, my lips had turned inside out & I had ridges throughout my head. When I got to the ER, I was shaking so hard they had to use restraints to keep me in the bed. If you ever get food poisoning, you'll know it. It's not just a matter of an upset stomach. There's no mistaking the two illnesses, if you've experienced both.

paragon
02-19-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't do well with Florida water. Took me awhile to figure that out. Every time you have a glass of tea or a fountain drink, you're adding to the total intake. Found that once I was aware of that and limited the tap, problems ceased!

Ah, someone mentions the water!
This is me too, I have found that the water is generally the issue for me as well, and I should have known better as I used to live in Central Florida..
I have had issues in the past, but ooposite of the oiginal poster, but I figured it out to be the water, the coffee was doing it, and I always had difficulties. Once I changed that habit, everything worked itself out, LOL.
Is it also possible, that due to all of the activity, walking, rushing, and some stress of planning, making adr times etc, that it causes digestive issues.
As to the food, in over 30 trips to WDW, I have never ever had any stomache issues because of any meal or snack food. But I also tend to eat more familiar foods. I rarely if ever drink from the fountains, and also stay away from the fountain drinks. The only fountain drink I ever have is a Coca Cola from Caseys, well, because its a Coca Cola from Caseys!
I also pack the immodium, as well a travel size pepto, just in case.

Disney Doll
02-19-2012, 09:32 AM
I'm surprised to learn that this is apparently a common issue. In all our trips often with a large family group not a single one of us has ever had any issues. We don't vary our eating habits much on vacation so maybe that's part of it. We also just tend not to get sick a lot (knock on wood). I hate to think of so many people with an upset stomach at Disney. I would be so sad if I were to get sick on vacation.

LudwigVonDrake
02-20-2012, 12:40 PM
I've only had two bad experiences at WDW: The Crystal Palace and Sci Fi. I've gone back to the Sci Fi with no problems bur have not gone back to CP.

LudwigVonDrake
02-20-2012, 12:43 PM
However, the sulfur in the water in Orlando tends to "lock me up".

I have the same "problem"! :laughing:

ronandjulie
02-20-2012, 01:07 PM
We go to WDW at least once a week. We eat at least once, if not twice, while we are there. We have been doing this for years. We have eaten at many many restaurants in all of the parks and most of the resorts. We have NEVER had any problem unless we just ate entirely too much food. I'm not discrediting anyone's problems, but I think most stomache issues arise from eating out too many times in a row.

AmandaChan
02-20-2012, 08:50 PM
could definitely be a combination of eating rich food that you're normally not used to eating everyday (how often do you really eat out everyday at home compared to every single meal practically) and a lot of it! I can't say that any of my family has really had a huge problem with it but we don't do the DP and dh and i often split meals and last year we shared a lot with our son. DS did have some freaky diarrhea one day...