PDA

View Full Version : Episode 28 - The Changing of the Balloons

John
01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
The Cast: Ian, Melanie, Michael & John

- Taping earlier tonite, Gary & Carol out earlier

- One More Disney Day - 24 Hours of Disney Magic. *Watch the balloons go from night time balloons to daytime balloons.

- Ian brings up staying in the castle - YET AGAIN.

- Reimagined Test Track headed to Epcot this fall. *How customized is customized, how interactive is interactive? Horizons & World of Motion mention.

- Magic, Memories & You - Valentines segment starts February 3.

- Disney Fantasy float out. Ian promises that if we get invited on a preview cruise, he will match that with a paid booking of his own!

- Marathon Weekend

- INTERCOT’s Best Of - Hidden Mickeys. *Michael goes with Soarin in California. *Ian goes with the ballroom in the Haunted Mansion. Melanie goes with a hidden Mickey in Indiana Jones. *John goes with the bamboo in the stairwell at the Polynesian. *Send us your favorites in the podcast thread.

- Mel’s Marathon Weekend - she did her very first 5k. Cylon Michael makes an appearance. We get off on a CES - Consumer Electronics Show tangent with the Transparent Smart Window - http://youtu.be/mTVPVobDrms. Ludwig Von Drake was out at the events - his first appearance supposedly ever.

- John says fix the Yeti - bring the people who designed Ka - the Cirque show in to get the job done.

- Wifi service extended into Moderate Resorts at the lobby and feature pools. Why is the big D so technically challenged.

- INTERCOT’s Garys Column - http://www.facebook.com/pages/INTERCOTs-Garys-Column

- Tidbits from Jason - Big Thunder queue to be revamped & other items. *Wine Bar @ Italy!

- Jolly Holiday Bakery & Electronica

Brought to you by: Magical Journey’s - http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com

The Official Ticket Center - http://www.officialticketcenter.com/cgi- bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=tickets&refer=TC21LBC

>> Listen, Download, Love... (http://www.intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2012/episode-28.asp)

darthmacho
01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Going to download now and listen in work tonight. I suppose we should call off Occupy Gary's Column...:D

By the way, for tonight's dinner, I'm making a "Flight of Meatloaf". (I'm not kidding, and I'll keep you posted.)

Ian
01-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey, have I mentioned that we stayed in Cinderella's Castle? Can't remember if I brought that up before ...

TinkerbellT421
01-30-2012, 11:49 AM
Am I the only one that cannot get the podcasts to play?? Just got back from Disney and want to catch up on all the podcasts, I cannot get the old ones to play or the new one? Am I doing something wrong?? :(

John
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
No problems on this end. Just checked the link above and the download link and both worked.

Specifically what are you trying to do and where - like thru the site, itunes, android or..?

TinkerbellT421
01-30-2012, 01:55 PM
I am trying to listen to the last one I left off on it's Episode 18 I think the "You'll stay here and like it!" one, which so far I had listened before vaca which was hysterical, love the titles. I'm going to try closing out my browser maybe clear the cookies and see what happens. I also tried listening to the new one. I kinda started listening to them backwards lol I listened to the last recent one and got hooked and started listening to them from newest to latest...I'm weird, I know haha. I was going straight to the interactive tab here, then clicking on the download and listen now option. Usually the player starts at the top I tried hitting play a few times and it would show 0% loading and flash and then nothing would happen. So I went to the other player towards the end of the screen that usually shows a list of all the podcasts and you can hit play from there and the list wouldn't come up at all when I hit menu it would just show up blank. :( Let me try again

TinkerbellT421
01-30-2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you for the reply John. Weird but now it's working. I feel like I'm crazy lol. I swear I tried it for twenty minutes before leaving for my lunch break and it wasn't working. Oh well, glad it's up and running now to get my fix :)

John
01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
Not sure why - but am glad to hear it's working for you...

spinnerf
01-30-2012, 04:43 PM
Great episode! I like how are you are blending in more Disneyland info, although Ive never been, evrytime I hear you talk about it I want to go. Great to see you back, looking forward to #29!

Melanie
01-30-2012, 05:27 PM
Hey, so everyone commenting needs to tell us your favorite Hidden Mickey...or two. ;)

AgentC
01-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Just finished listening. Another great podcast. A few thoughts

Michael almost makes me want to go over on 2/29. Almost. If it were a weekday, I'd be there.

I'm sad to admit I have never been on Test Track (long story). Maybe I should get over there before it goes away.

Mel's marathon weekend sounds like so much fun. My son wants to do the kid's race in May after seeing the pictures of Mel's bling.

Ludwig von Drake is on quite a few Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (Disney Junior) episodes. Some of which I have seen many many times. ;)

I don't get Disney and technology either unless it is large corporationitis. I work for a very large corporation and we are always behind the times. The company just moves to slow to be efficient at it.

Totally blanking on hidden Mickey's! :D

spinnerf
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
2 Favorite Hidden Mickeys:

1. Mickey on the "Earth" on the cue for Buzz lightyear, one continent actually looks like a Mickey profile, not your standard 3 circles.

2. Mickey on the bedspread in POFQ room.

bleukarma
01-30-2012, 07:16 PM
I posted this on twitter but I will post here too. Yes, we need a run Disney thread!! All of us Disney runners can unite! :mickey: I remember last year but me and Mel was at the Animal Kingdom night race and I think we were blowing up the twitter. I don't know if I will volunteer for that race again. I would run it but I don't want to do the obstacles. I would rather just run.

I'm thinking of going over to WDW on 2/29 even though I work the day before and after. I'm not really sure why, just to say I did it??

Fav hidden mickey: in the mural at the boat ride in Norway.

PopPhan
01-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Haven't listened to the podcast yet (tomorrow's lunchtime activity!!) but had a couple comments on the above posts...

Any of the "Hidden Mickey's" on the Christmas displays in the Deluxe/DVC resorts!!!

AgentC -- I believe that the pre-show and post-show are changing, but NOT the main show (ride itself) -- Like I said, I haven't listened to the podcast yet for clarification....

TinkerbellT421
01-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey, so everyone commenting needs to tell us your favorite Hidden Mickey...or two. ;)

I think the google map mickey is my favorite, does that count??

AgentC
01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
I thought of one or a few. I like the hidden Mickey's in the Osborne light displays.

lwith58
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you for another excellent podcast.

I once saw a show on Nat Geo TV called Worlds Toughest Fixes where they replaced the hydraulic pistons on that huge stage for KA. They also showed a large part of the back stage and inner workings of the show, it was very interesting. You’re right John, how is it these people can build and maintain this incredibly humongous platform and Disney cannot or will not fix the Yeti? I don’t know maybe Disney has the answer on how to fix it and as you guys mentioned maybe they just don’t want to shut the ride down to make the necessary repairs. I believe anything can be fixed it’s just a matter of cost and downtime.

My favorite Hidden Mickey is the one in the Haunted Mansion Ballroom, my second favorite is the one that is built into the pavement at Hollywood Studios. You can see it from a satellite view of the park. One of his ears is Echo Lake his nose is now under the Hat.

Should we be worried that Gary’s Cylon army has now grown to extend as far as West coast? How long before it reaches the East Coast?

Melanie
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
I think the google map mickey is my favorite, does that count??

my second favorite is the one that is built into the pavement at Hollywood Studios. You can see it from a satellite view of the park.

Are you talking about the same one? :mickey:

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Great podcast guys! This one was very entertaining. The "Changing of the Balloons" bit was hilarious! Michael, you are so funny! Had me laughing pretty hard on that one.

I've seen the hidden Mickeys on CA Screamin! It's the baseplates of some of the support columns that are Mickey shaped. But, I didn't know those were considered "hidden Mickey's". I guess they are...there are a few of them on that ride, but you can really only see them as you are coming down from the loop.

Oh, and funny about Ludwig Von Drake being out! He's VERY popular nowadays due to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. He is on almost every episode! He and Clarabelle Cow are now very recognizable characters due to this show. My kids know these two characters better than most of the "classic" ones. We met Pinocchio this last trip, and my kids had no idea who that was, but they were happy to take a picture with him anyway. They would have flipped out if Clarabelle Cow or Ludwig Von Drake were hanging around. ;) I wonder if he will be out and about more often. I heard Clarabelle is part of the afternoon parade now, is that right?

Anyway, fun times as always. You guys need to do more of these. (I know, I know, schedules blah, blah, blah...) ;)

lwith58
01-31-2012, 03:02 PM

I’m not sure I wondered too. There is one called the “Hidden Mickey Forest” that is off property to the Northwest that can also be seen by satellite view. Search Google, it has an interesting story to go along with it.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
I heard Clarabelle is part of the afternoon parade now, is that right?

Good question. Funny, the upcoming episode we just taped on Sunday night, our 'Best of" is Parades (thanks Shane!) and we all kind of commented how we don't really take the time to watch many parades anymore, especially the afternoon ones. So, your guess is as good as ours. ;)

That whole Ludwig Von Drake thing was funny. I had no idea who he was, but by golly folks on Twitter let me know I'd messed up when I called him Scrooge. lol! I should have known better though, since I do know what Scrooge McDuck looks like. You can tell I don't have kiddos who watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse anymore.

lwith58, going to do my Google research now. :)

TinkerbellT421
01-31-2012, 03:31 PM

I’m not sure I wondered too. There is one called the “Hidden Mickey Forest” that is off property to the Northwest that can also be seen by satellite view. Search Google, it has an interesting story to go along with it.

Yes that one :mickey:

Melanie
01-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes that one :mickey:

How interesting! I didn't even know Mickey's Forest existed. I love learning new Disney things. :mickey:

TinkerbellT421
01-31-2012, 03:50 PM
How interesting! I didn't even know Mickey's Forest existed. I love learning new Disney things. :mickey:

I love it, it's definitely my favorite, showed it to a friend of mine whos a disney fanatic and she didnt know about it either! Love being able to input something new here. lol

wildernesslady
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for another great podcast. I think everyone should be a spectator at the Marathon. It is alot of fun.

Melanie
01-31-2012, 06:42 PM
Thanks for another great podcast. I think everyone should be a spectator at the Marathon. It is alot of fun.

So true! As sleep deprived as I am that weekend, I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything, especially being in the MK at o'dark thirty and cheering the runners as they go up Main Street towards the Castle.

So excited for the Princess 1/2 Marathon next month. My boss's daughter is running and I've been getting her super excited about getting up early and cheering on the runners in the MK. On a side note, I saw that of the 12K runners in last week's Tinkerbell 1/2 at Disneyland, only 900 of the runners were men, so I'm assuming it will be similar circumstances next month. Ha, my hubby will be in heaven! hehehehe But I digress.....

Altair
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
For a real treat do a youtube search for "I'm professor ludwig von drake (no introduction)", it's very clever. He's a great character, but only appeared on a few Wonderful World of Colors.:mickey:

Favorite Hidden Mickey's are the Viking with Mickey ears and the one by the Bonsai tree in box in Japan.

darthmacho
02-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Finally listened to the podcast last night in work!

My favorite Hidden Mickey is on the ceiling mural of the Territory Lounge at the Wilderness Lodge. It's on the rump of a horse! LOL :mickey:

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I forgot to post my favorite Hidden Mickey! It's probably because I don't have one. I'm not that good at finding them, usually. :blush: I guess the Haunted Mansion plate set up is my favorite, because it's fun to see if it's still there every time I ride.

I do actually appreciate all the hidden Mickey's worked into the various carpets, shower curtains, and other fabrics in the resort rooms. I think those are neat.

Septbride2002
02-01-2012, 10:42 AM
My favorite hidden mickey is outside the Haunted Mansion made of the sewer lid and 2 of the horse hoof prints for ears. :mickey:

Great Podcast!

The changing of the balloons had me cracking up.

~Amanda

Mendelson
02-01-2012, 11:08 AM
I like the hidden mickey in Splash in the Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Da boat room.... Mickey is on the right on a screen. The unique thing about this one is that it is his complete body and he's lying prone and stiff, almost as though he's dead.

And on the same ride as you go up the final hill, the rock formation at the top of the hill on the left, at the opening, forms his profile...but it's very brief and you have to see it at the right positioning of your boat on the hill.

dpamac
02-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Should we be worried that Gary’s Cylon army has now grown to extend as far as West coast? How long before it reaches the East Coast?

We are legion.

JPL
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Since I guess posting my favorite Hidden Mickeys is the least I can do ;)

1. The Seas Pavilion in the main tank made out of rocks on the bottom of the tank.

2. The one in Maharajah Trek that is hidden in the earring of one of the paintings (I believe I Tweeted a picture of this one in December.)

PirateLover
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
About Ludwig Von Drake, I mainly know him from hosting the Sing-A-Long videos. I watched them all the time when I was a kid. I don't remember him being on Duck Tales????

PirateLover
02-02-2012, 10:38 PM
OK, finally finished listening. I have to say, I have quite a different take on the BTMRR queue. In fact I often rank it towards the bottom, along with Test Track which I find annoying as all get out, so I'm glad these two are getting fixed/altered/updated what have you. Maybe it's because I've had the unfortunate experience of being stuck in it in the heat of summer while it had broken down (Ian did allude to how hot it can get). When the line is long, the early part of the queue DOES extend to the outside because we were baking in the sun. When you get to the shaded part, it's not much of a relief. Just imagine the hot sweaty humid summer crowds in a packed queue. Your only relief comes from ceiling fans that only seem to circulate the smell of body odor. I do like the overall theme of the ride, but I have not had good experiences with that queue!!!!

Have to give props to Michael for giving me the biggest laugh out loud moment mentioning how you found your camera on the streets of Seattle! Just something about the way you said it... :thumbsup:

I don't really have a favorite Hidden Mickey, but I can tell you there's one that has become the bane of my existence because I CAN'T FIND IT. A few trips ago I bought the Hidden Mickey guide. We were going in a real down season and had lots of times for re-rides so it was a fun thing to do. It was in the Haunted Mansion, and I think it's supposed to be around the opera singer in the graveyard. It was the only one I couldn't spot :(

BriarRose0708
02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Still catching up on listening to this episode, but I'll post my hidden Mickey now before the Super Bowl. I like the one on Figment (don't judge) in the part where his house is upside down. If you look up on the kitchen table there is a plate where the onion rings make a hidden Mickey.

I also love Michael's enthusiasm and sass in the past couple episodes. He cracks me up!

DisneyGirl85
02-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Great Podcast!

I have two favorite hidden Mickey's. One of them is at the Polynesian, it's when you first enter the hotel through the entrance that the Magical Express drops you off at. It is a rather large one in stone floor right before you check-in. My other is the ones on the carpets at the Wilderness Lodge. I have both of them as Hidden Mickey Pins! :mickey:

Oh the Yeti... I ran across a website awhile ago that is dedicated to saving the Yeti, poor guy doesn't stand a chance. I was lucky to ride Everest before it broke, but honestly I may have not even noticed it was broken until someone told me. It is a shame that they went as far as making a documentary on building the Yeti and how wonderful he is/was and now he doesn't even work.

Congrats Mel on your first 5k!! I'm yet to do one, but I wish it would be a Disney one!!

Thanks guys!

diz_girl
02-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for another great Podcast. I hope that both Carol and Gary have fully recovered from their respective illnesses.

Just one mention about the Test Track refurb - how can you (I think that it was Ian) say that the guy was just some guy. It's John Michael Higgins, who is in pretty much every one of Christopher Guest's films. He's a hoot!

BTW- How in the world cold you tape an episode on Superbowl Sunday? Are we to assume that Jeff wasn't at the taping?

Imagineer1981
02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Hey Guys,

GREAT PODCAST again, as always! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add a RunDisney section to the blogs. I would be glad to volunteer as a moderator. I have done the Donald 1/2 and I am sigining up for the Goofy Challenge for 2013. The marathon weekend, along with the wine and dine half marathon, the family 5ks, the tinkerbell half at Disneyland, there are soo many races, and so much to do to prepare with catching the buses, or preparing to run, etc. I really think alot of people need the help and would love to discuss their experiences. Please add it!!!!

Ian
02-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Just one mention about the Test Track refurb - how can you (I think that it was Ian) say that the guy was just some guy. It's John Michael Higgins, who is in pretty much every one of Christopher Guest's films. He's a hoot!Huh ... you know until I read this here I never made that connection, but yeah that is who it is.

I love Christopher Guest's films, too. I can't believe I never realized that. :blush:

Buttercup
04-25-2012, 09:23 PM
Hey guys -
Since the hidden mickey "Best Of" was Episode #28 (but that thread doesn't seem to be here anymore?) I wanted to tell you of one Hidden Mickey that I'm surprised nobody mentioned.

On Splash Mountain, the actual "hole" in the mountain that your boat comes out of as it makes the big huge drop, is actually shaped like Mickey's profile! Only from certain angles though -- because sometimes a rock or a plant obstructs the view. His face is looking towards Thunder Mountain, and slightly tilted upwards.
Neat!:thumbsup:

Melanie
04-28-2012, 09:25 PM
I've never heard that one before. Very cool! I'll have to check for it next time I'm over there.

Episode 28 thread is still here (about 6 or 7 threads down). I'm going to merge now.