PDA

View Full Version : "New" ADR policy - LOVE!

Basket Mommy
01-28-2012, 04:35 PM
We just returned yesterday from a week in the World. I have to say, I LOVE the new dining policy that prevents people from making multiple ADRs for the same time.

I did make one TS ADR per night of our stay at our 180-day mark just so we'd have them. But, we went w/o the dining plan this time and that left some room for us to make extra plans while we were there. One more than one occasion we were able to secure ADRs on the SAME DAY for places we wanted to eat that night. On the 24th, we left MK and went to the GF to show the kids where we spent our honeymoon 16 years ago. While we were there we decided to check on availability at 1900 Park Fare for dinner. We thought we'd have to wait for sure, but we were seated immediately. I can't say that we would have been able to get into the more popular spots (like 'Ohana or Le Cellier) but we were pleasantly surprised at our luck getting the ADRs we got. That has not been possible for a long time, and believe me, we have tried!!

Melanie
01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Glad you had an easy time! :thumbsup:

I agree, this new policy is working and I couldn't be more thankful! Long overdue, but glad it was finally done. We've had some great success as well.

Mary Chase
01-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm with you on that one! I was hoping that the new policy would make it a little easier to get ADRs closer to the vacation. Wonder if the super popular places are still filling up as fast.

sixshot19
01-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Great news, can't wait for our May trip.

Melanie
01-28-2012, 05:46 PM
Wonder if the super popular places are still filling up as fast.

My experience is no, as we got Le Cellier dinner reservations for January in December. :thumbsup:

tarheelmjfan
01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm with all of you. I think the new policy will benefit the average guest. It's about time they did something.

Disney Hungarian
01-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I am still seeing availability at Le Cellier for both lunch and dinner seatings on my upcoming trip a week from today. I have not got one ADR planned and I am happy as a lark that I will find a place to eat when I want to eat on this trip. I am frankly fed up with all of the planning for ADRs.

Dopey's Girl
01-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I'm loving it too! Got Le Cellier dinner for tomorrow about a week ago. Can't wait!

buzznwoodysmom
01-28-2012, 11:30 PM
I just thought of something and maybe you guys will know the answer. Let's say I have Via Napoli booked in Epcot, but the day of we decide, for whatever reason, we want to eat Mexican instead. Let's say we are able to change our ADR from Via Napoli to La Hacienda while in the park. Would we be charged the fee for canceling within 24 hours? I bet we would, but was wondering if there is an offical policy on changed ADRs.

Basket Mommy
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
I just thought of something and maybe you guys will know the answer. Let's say I have Via Napoli booked in Epcot, but the day of we decide, for whatever reason, we want to eat Mexican instead. Let's say we are able to change our ADR from Via Napoli to La Hacienda while in the park. Would we be charged the fee for canceling within 24 hours? I bet we would, but was wondering if there is an offical policy on changed ADRs.

I think they only care if you don't show up w/o cancelling. I know they say 24 hours' notice, but I think if you cancel, rebook and then actually show up to the new ADR, there shouldn't be a problem. And, if you are charged, I think you could successfully argue that the charges be reversed. They're just trying to prevent no-shows and having to turn away walk-ups. If your ADR is cancelled and they know they can take a walk-up in your place, I think it should be fine.

TinkerbellT421
01-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Love this new policy!!! We were able to call the morning we decided to do cape may and got in! we did try to change O'Hanas from Friday to Tuesday for the past month with no luck so after checking again while we were there with no openings except for 9:30's adjust stuck with our Friday reservation. We tried walking up to lecellier for anytime and were shut down miserably though :(

Janmac
01-29-2012, 04:03 PM

The two restaurants used as examples here are not on the secured-with-a-credit-card-list.

If these two example restaurants were on the list, I am thinking that if you called at least mid-afternoon and asked for availability at La Hacienda, and then cancelled the Via Napoli that you would not be charged.

For most of the restaurants on the list, I'm thinking that the fee is charged to no shows that didn't call to cancel. Not sure what they'd do with reservations changes at the signature restaurants that were on the list already.

Jan

tarheelmjfan
01-30-2012, 02:39 PM

As has been mentioned, these restaurants don't require a CC guarantee. However, from everything I've read, you would not be able to switch restaurants that are affected by the new policy without incurring a penalty.

I think they only care if you don't show up w/o cancelling. I know they say 24 hours' notice, but I think if you cancel, rebook and then actually show up to the new ADR, there shouldn't be a problem. And, if you are charged, I think you could successfully argue that the charges be reversed. They're just trying to prevent no-shows and having to turn away walk-ups. If your ADR is cancelled and they know they can take a walk-up in your place, I think it should be fine.

From everything I've read, this isn't the case. You must cancel by 10:00 pm two nights before your ADR to prevent being charged a penalty. (For example, if you have a 3:30 pm ADR on 1/31, you need to cancel by 10:00 pm on 1/29. This is when the dining line closes.) You need to cancel a full day ahead of your ADR. I agree this isn't 24 hrs., & is quite confusing. They need to do a better job of explaining exactly what the policy is online. This does appear to be the policy though.

I've read of one couple being charged, even though the man had to be taken to a medical clinic. They were staying at a WDW restaurant, & the call for the ambulance was made by a Disney CM. They knew they weren't making up an excuse to get out of paying the penalty. I'm sure they could fight it by going up the ladder, if they chose. If they were charged under those circumstances, I think they are serious about the cancellation window & will charge guests for not cancelling within the time frame they set.

My guess is they may become less rigid with the policy eventually. If they started out soft, people would take advantage making the policy totally ineffective. Unfortunately, a few will always ruin things for everyone. For now, there doesn't seem to be any leeway in the policy. Personally, I'm fine with that. I think the policy was necessary. If I there's a chance chance we may not make an ADR, I just won't make one. We'll take our chances as a walk-up.

brivers222
01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
As has been mentioned, these restaurants don't require a CC guarantee. However, from everything I've read, you would not be able to switch restaurants that are affected by the new policy without incurring a penalty.

From everything I've read, this isn't the case. You must cancel by 10:00 pm two nights before your ADR to prevent being charged a penalty. (For example, if you have a 3:30 pm ADR on 1/31, you need to cancel by 10:00 pm on 1/29. This is when the dining line closes.) You need to cancel a full day ahead of your ADR. I agree this isn't 24 hrs., & is quite confusing. They need to do a better job of explaining exactly what the policy is online. This does appear to be the policy though.

I've read of one couple being charged, even though the man had to be taken to a medical clinic. They were staying at a WDW restaurant, & the call for the ambulance was made by a Disney CM. They knew they weren't making up an excuse to get out of paying the penalty. I'm sure they could fight it by going up the ladder, if they chose. If they were charged under those circumstances, I think they are serious about the cancellation window & will charge guests for not cancelling within the time frame they set.

My guess is they may become less rigid with the policy eventually. If they started out soft, people would take advantage making the policy totally ineffective. Unfortunately, a few will always ruin things for everyone. For now, there doesn't seem to be any leeway in the policy. Personally, I'm fine with that. I think the policy was necessary. If I there's a chance chance we may not make an ADR, I just won't make one. We'll take our chances as a walk-up.

In december we were talking to some people on the monorail to epcot and they told us that as long as you call Dining and switch your ADR there, you won't get charged a fee for switching. They said what happened was a member got sick and they didn't want to get charged a fee so they called dining and switched to a new ressie 2 days later. When they got back to the resort they simply cancelled the ADR (2 days away) and didn't get hit with a fee.

Now they also said they did actually switch from Ohana to 1900pf the day of and the CM on the phone at dining said since they are switching (or modifying) an ADR they wouldn't be hit with the $10 free.

it all came about because i was complaining how i wanted to book different restaurant because we were in a different park but I didn't want to get hit with the fee because it was for later that day

So just some food for thought

tarheelmjfan
01-30-2012, 03:34 PM
That's interesting, & is the first time I've heard of anyone being able to do that. I guess we'll know for sure, when we start getting more reports from those who have tried.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-30-2012, 04:36 PM
I'm loving it too! Got Le Cellier dinner for tomorrow about a week ago. Can't wait!

I've seen a few posts on LeCellier being available on short notice (or even at all) and possibly attributing it to the new ADR policy.

I'm thinking it might be more likely its because LeCellier is now a 2TS entitlement on the DDP (at least I think that's in effect now). I would think that has more to do with availability. While a good restaurant, it certainly doesn't merit 2TS.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-30-2012, 04:41 PM
I think it depends on WHO you deal with. We had friends that decided to "test" the new policy. They not cancel til AFTER the 24 hr period. And switched ADRs. They were charged $20 ($10 per person) on their credit card statement. They called the powers that be to dispute the charges and after talking to a supervisor, it was told to them that the new policy is explained and that by making the credit card hold ADRs you are accepting the policy and therefor the charges were not removed.

Now, they were fine with the charges as they wanted to "test" the new policy and they found that it indeed was being enforced for their instance.

badkitty
01-30-2012, 04:48 PM
So is it a bit disconcerting to anyone else that so many people have double-booked reservations in the past that popular choices are now showing availability with the new policy? Double-booking just never would occur to me since it seems so rude to other guests.

Melanie
01-30-2012, 05:21 PM
So is it a bit disconcerting to anyone else that so many people have double-booked reservations in the past that popular choices are now showing availability with the new policy? Double-booking just never would occur to me since it seems so rude to other guests.

Oh, but unfortunately, we live in a selfish society. :unsure:

spinnerf
01-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Another satisfied diner! We too we able to get Le Cellier the day before, although I think it going from 1 to 2 credits coupled with the new reservation system is the reason.

Melanie
01-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Another satisfied diner! We too we able to get Le Cellier the day before, although I think it going from 1 to 2 credits coupled with the new reservation system is the reason.

Especially fine with us, as we aren't dining plan folks. :thumbsup:

lighteningqueen
01-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I think this policy is for signature and character meals. I totally forgot about a noon ressie at Vias and so far no charge for it. I did however have to give a credit card for 1900, Tusker,Crystals and akersus..We were in the American Adventure show and it dawned on me.. We had just eaten at 10am at Akersus and was not even thinking about eating. We ate at 7pm at Teppon that night and actually it was too soon to eat again..

We were just there Jan 20-28th this year This will be the la time for a long long time. It was really unmagical for us and many others this trip.

Melanie
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
I think this policy is for signature and character meals. I totally forgot about a noon ressie at Vias and so far no charge for it. I did however have to give a credit card for 1900, Tusker,Crystals and akersus..We were in the American Adventure show and it dawned on me.. We had just eaten at 10am at Akersus and was not even thinking about eating. We ate at 7pm at Teppon that night and actually it was too soon to eat again..

We were just there Jan 20-28th this year This will be the la time for a long long time. It was really unmagical for us and many others this trip.

The deposit policy is for signature/character dining. This policy in addition to no longer being able to make multiple ADRs for the same time period are what is aiding in more reservations opening up. :thumbsup:

Sorry you had such a bad trip. I do hope you'll report in the Trip Report forum.

lighteningqueen
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
I will eventually. I am still sick from eating there. I am not saying poisoning. Just something in the food there???? Plus Disney has got to do some major refurbs, not just dusting and painting. BUT UPDATING SHOWS and rides. I will report next week..

Jared
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Glad to see others are digging the new policy. I think it's fantastic and long overdue. Earlier this month I got into 'Ohana during prime dinner hours on less than a week's notice. That would have been impossible a year ago.

If I have a critique, it's that I think the credit card hold applies to a few too many places. I didn't book Cape May Cafe dinner this year because I didn't want to be locked into a restaurant that's not always mobbed and isn't really all that special to begin with. But I'm glad to see that the change is getting the intended results.

Basket Mommy
01-30-2012, 09:20 PM

That's so funny. We were there Jan 20-27th this year and had the most magical trip we've had in a long time. I'm sorry your trip wasn't up to your expectations!

cuteduck223
01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
we've always found that during less peak times, its much easier to call and add a last minute ressie because there are always cancellations. last year at this time we got garden grill and (the epcot princess once i cannot spell) the day before.

Of course, i'm sure that the new policy is also very helpful, because Disney is making money on the selfish (im sure some people still double book and dont think twice about the fee) and everyone else gets a better dining experience.

wildernesslady
01-31-2012, 05:15 PM
We had dinner last Saturday at Ohana. We were seated exactly at our ADR time and there were a good amount of empty tables. We haven't seen that in a long time. I'm guessing guests are not willing to leave credit card info just in case they don't make it.

Basket Mommy
01-31-2012, 07:16 PM
we've always found that during less peak times, its much easier to call and add a last minute ressie because there are always cancellations.

We have always traveled during Value season, which is supposed to be off-peak. Until about 4-5 years ago, we never had a problem calling for ADRs the morning or even day before we wanted to dine somewhere. In fact, we rarely made ADRs at all. Then we started hitting walls when we tried to find a place to eat and bowed to the almighty ADR just so we'd be assured of eating where we wanted. Last week was the first trip in YEARS that I've been able to call and get an ADR while I was actually at Disney.

mickeys_princess_mom
01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Seems to be a good thing. :mickey: Our trip is just 3 1/2 months away, and I was able to just call and get Ohana's for Mother's Day! Also picked up Le Cellier with no trouble!

:cheer: :cheer: :chef:

ginny57
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
It never DAWNED on me to double book...or that others would! This is AWESOME!! As for the CC issue, hotels do it all the time...I don't see an issue with it. Bon Appetit!!!

A Big Kid
02-01-2012, 06:08 PM
My experience is no, as we got Le Cellier dinner reservations for January in December. :thumbsup:

While I has the exact same experience, an additional factor might be the 2TS credit charge.

Melanie
02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
While I has the exact same experience, an additional factor might be the 2TS credit charge.

So true! I guess Le Cellier just got easier because of the 3 factors - no double booking, deposit AND 2TS. Like I said though, I don't think about the dining plan stuff. Never done it, and probably never will.

Jared
02-01-2012, 07:34 PM
So true! I guess Le Cellier just got easier because of the 3 factors - no double booking, deposit AND 2TS. Like I said though, I don't think about the dining plan stuff. Never done it, and probably never will.
Serious question: Is there anyone that actually likes Le Cellier as a signature restaurant? I've read nothing by criticism.

brivers222
02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Serious question: Is there anyone that actually likes Le Cellier as a signature restaurant? I've read nothing by criticism.

Ive only ever had it as a signature restaurant..... I liked it... however I feel that Yachtsman was all around better.

but I didn't not like LeCellier and I will be back :)

mickeys_princess_mom
02-01-2012, 10:54 PM
Ive only ever had it as a signature restaurant..... I liked it... however I feel that Yachtsman was all around better.

but I didn't not like LeCellier and I will be back :)

We snapped it up for lunch, so it's still just one credit. Hmmmmm, looking for something new, maybe Yachtsman--have to check into it!

disneynarula
02-02-2012, 05:40 AM
I think it's a great policy.

TheVBs
02-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Really glad to hear about all the success people have had with walk ups and last minute reservations. Great news!! :mickey:

NJGIRL
02-02-2012, 07:12 PM
The policy is long over due. I'm glad it's working out! :thumbsup:

StuckinOz
02-03-2012, 10:08 AM

I find it more than disconcerting, I am completely appalled that anyone would have done this. It would never have occured to me in a million years. When people were having to make ADRs the nanosecond they were able to 180 days out in order to have a chance to visit the restaurants they wanted? Unbelievable.

CuteAsMinnie
02-06-2012, 02:53 PM

I must agree! It would never dawn on me to double book a dining reservation! Ever! Or even try to see if it was possible. Seriously? Wow. :ack:

Guess I'm totally in agreement with the new ADR policy.

Disney Hungarian
02-11-2012, 08:21 PM
I just got back. I must say; I don't know if it was off-season or the new policies. But, I was able to eat wherever and whenever I wanted without ADRs.

Dopey's Girl
02-11-2012, 11:46 PM
I just got an ADR for lunch @ Le Cellier in April and I had my choice of times on a Saturday. Love this change!

RAIDER
02-12-2012, 09:53 AM
I like the majority agree with this new structure ,it makes it fare on all :thumbsup:
Ive booked for Tokyo Dining ,Fultons and California Grill for June

Quadstriker
02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
The difference in finding available reservations before as opposed to now is remarkable.

tarheelmjfan
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Someone posted on another board a few days ago that they spoke to one of the restaurant managers about the new policy, when they visited last week. I'm think it was at Le Cellier, but that could be wrong. Anyway, the manager said their no show rate had dropped from 30% to 5%, since the change. That's a big difference to say the least.

pixiesmimi
02-18-2012, 03:01 PM
I am so shocked that I was able to get the Castle and Le Cellier for end of June, first of July with no problems online and at my choice of time. Unheard of in the past, under the 180 days. I'm loving this! I didn't want to waste 2TS on just one place in relationto le Cellier though so just got a lunch reservation instead for 1 TS. I was okay with the 2TS for the castle because I expected that. I don't think le Cellier deserves the Signature designation, IMO. I don't mind giving a cc for the reservation because we have never missed an ADR yet and don't plan to. That may be why so many reservations freed up, people don't want to guarantee with a cc because they know they may or may not show up. If it continues to be this easy to get reservations on a short notice, we may try it without the DDP next time and see what happens. :thumbsup: