PDA

View Full Version : DVC & AKL: Driving to parks or Busses?

Barb_A
01-25-2012, 06:02 AM
We've always stayed "close" to either MK or Epcot and thus had great access to monorails, walking to parks, etc.
This will be our first time further from the parks. We WILL be driving this trip. I've heard that bus service to/from AKL can take an hour to get to parks and busses can be SRO! Is it a good strategy to drive to parks? Do DVC members get free parking at Resorts only - not theme parks? What's your best strategy for this? (I.e. Park at contemporary and walk over to MK? Park at BW and walk over to Epcot?) We will be going 3/31 - 4/8. Busy - I know!!
Thanks
Barb

CanadianWDWFan
01-25-2012, 04:46 PM
The bus ride can be long and busy, but it sure is doable. We stayed at the AKL in August, and were able to make use of the buses quite easily when we chose to not drive. FYI... DVC members are NOT permitted to park at the resorts and then go to the parks. You may check in at the security gate of a resort if you are going to be visiting it, or eating at a restaurant there, and you will be issued a temporary parking permit (3 hours). The resort parking is intended for that resort's guests, not as an alternative to park parking. Just a heads up.

This said, you can use your DVC card to get complimentary parking at the theme parks and the TTC. You can also park without charge by simply showing your AKL parking pass (the easiest way for sure). All resort guests may park at the theme parks without charge.

Scar
01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Is it a good strategy to drive to parks? You're going to get differing opinions on this. Mine is that unless you can walk, boat, or monorail to a park, it is always better to drive. Anything to avoid the buses.

faline
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
We last stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge in May. While the drive to the parks is longer from this location than it is from other resorts, it typically fell far short of an hour for transportation!

brivers222
01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
Took us 45mins to go from AKL to AK via bus.... We drove from that point on anywhere a bus would be used. A concur with Scar!

oh this was a not so busy December 11th day....

twinboyz
01-27-2012, 12:55 PM
We've been only using Disney transportation for our last four trips. Ocassionally there are longer than normal wait times, but never at one specific park or resort. I think the worst was waiting for a bus after Wishes at MK. 2 1/2 hours. Maybe it was just a fluke for that day?

Happy planning!

Disney4us2
01-27-2012, 01:01 PM
We were there in August and used the busses only. Didn't have any problems with the service. I have always used the busses at WDW. I would rather use the busses and not drive.... I am on vacation. The busses are part of the experience for us. Don't want to rent a car... added expense. The busses works well for us, but is not for everyone.

twinboyz
01-27-2012, 01:23 PM
We were there in August and used the busses only. Didn't have any problems with the service. I have always used the busses at WDW. I would rather use the busses and not drive.... I am on vacation. The busses are part of the experience for us. Don't want to rent a car... added expense. The busses works well for us, but is not for everyone.

:exactly:

fanofdisney
01-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Well, here's another vote for driving. But since you are going to have your car there anyway you can decide when you want to take the buses and when you want to drive. When we stayed at AKL we used the buses a few times but usually drove to the parks.

Kenny1113
01-27-2012, 07:33 PM
We typically drive to all of the parks except MK. I hate dealing with the mob scene at ttc for monorail/ferry. If crowds are not too bad or we dont feel like driving we will take the bus.

I agree with the pp when we stayed at AKL I do not remember bus ride being an hour.

seanyred
01-28-2012, 02:38 PM
we always stay at AKL- Kidani or Jambo and by far the longest ride was 30min. It really is personal preference but I'll give you this to think about. The buses drop you off near the front gate of each park. When you drive you have to figure the time it takes to get through the gate to pay or show your resort card then you park, then you get on a tram.

In all honesty I think you spend about the same time using both forms of transportation.

The only places I would 100% drive if I had a car is DTD and the water parks.

AuntLaura
01-29-2012, 07:24 AM
We usually ride the bus to MK to avoid the TTC hassle, but drive to all of the others. Take the bus the first day, and see how it goes.

MinnieMommie
01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
You're going to get differing opinions on this. Mine is that unless you can walk, boat, or monorail to a park, it is always better to drive. Anything to avoid the buses.

Totally agree! When we stay at AKL we always drive rather than use the bus system. Just personal preference though. :mickey: