PDA

View Full Version : First Park & Ride

Vinny
01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone. Just finished planning our WDW trip for May and it got me thinking about what park to visit first and what the first ride we want to get on will be. That made me curious as to what others first park and ride choice is when they first get to WDW. Ours is usually Epcot and Spaceship Earth.

MrPeetrie
01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
...Ours is usually Epcot and Spaceship Earth.

Hey, Vinny. Same Here.

When we're lucky enough to take a Disney trip, we usually take an early-morning flight, so we can arrive on property with still much of the day left. We land, take Magical Express to resort, utilize on-line check-in, make a stop at our room (if it's ready) for a quick "freshen-up," then grab a bus to Epcot.

We usually ride Spaceship Earth first, then go straight to MouseGear to shop for some trip apparel. This really gets us in the mood and starts the vacation off right. It is one of our favorite things to do. Then, we'll mull around, take in a ride or two, find some dinner somewhere, watch Illuminations, then shop again. What a great way to start a vacation! (Is anyone else getting really excited???!!!! Or is it just me?)

Vinny
01-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Hey, Vinny. Same Here.

When we're lucky enough to take a Disney trip, we usually take an early-morning flight, so we can arrive on property with still much of the day left.

We do the same thing as well. This time we have a 6am flight from home and having to make one quick connecting flight, we will be in a park by noon the first day.

Tygger7
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
The first time I visited, MK was the only park...so I've gotten into a bit of a routine. :D We always do MK first and head straight for Space Mountain. We usually arrive the night before, so we try to make rope drop. I must say though that lately we've made a little stop on the way to Space Mountain...we grab a cinnamon roll at the Main Street Bakery. Yum.....I can taste it now....

KAJUNKING
01-24-2012, 11:24 AM
we always try to do mk first, there is nothing like starting your vacation by walking under the train station, making that turn and looking down mainstreet at that castle :mickey:

darthmacho
01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Excellent question!

First Park is always Magic Kingdom. We did Epcot first in 1999, and it just didn't seem right. Henceforth, we'll begin and end each trip with MK.

First ride is Dumbo! This is thanks to my kids. I'd choose Space Mountain, since it was the first ride I ever experienced, but my kids insist on Dumbo. We will continue the tradition this year, and for as long as they want to do it.

Mariano O'Kon
01-24-2012, 04:26 PM
For me Magic Kingdom is always my option for first park.

Having said this, I just came back from WDW and when we arrived to the hotel on the afternoon, the first thing I did was to check the weather.

According to the Weather Channel, there was an 80% of rain the next day.

Therefore I decided to do Animal Kingdom, which closes at 5PM, and has lots of indoor activities (Lion King, Nemo, Dinosaur, etc)

It worked perfectly, it did rain, but we just bought ponchos and had a wonderful day.

Bottom line: You are in holidays, be flexible, and enjoy!!!

Mariano :mickey:

Disney4us2
01-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Our tradition has been Epcot and SSE and then to Test Track. In August we broke tradition and went to MK for a late dinner at The Plaza and just a few attractions since we didn't get in until late afternoon. Our first full day was Epcot and SSE.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-25-2012, 08:13 AM
I'm with you Vinny! Our flight gets us in at 11:30AM (we are always on the same flight), we drop whatever we need to at the resort, and head straight to Epcot to ride Spaceship Earth. That experience sends signals to my brain that vacation has begun. I could care less what we do after Spaceship Earth, but it isn't a vacation until I get that done!

Mickey 101
01-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Our first park is always MK, and our first ride is always Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. As soon as we get off, we head to SM for Fast Passes:thumbsup:

Katzateer
01-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Our tradition for 10+ years was getting into Orlando early afternoon, going to Kona and then the MVMCP.

the last few years we have gone to Kona, then California Grill for dessert and fireworks viewing. The first full day depends on early entry since we take advantage of that perk. We normally stay at that park a few hours then hop to another since another park might be a little less crowded.

But it doesn't feel like we are "home" until we get that walk down Main Street.

Soph and Han's Mom
01-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Another vote here for spaceship earth!

After we get settled in our room we hop on the monorail and head to Epcot. SE usually has a minimal wait, so it's an easy ride to hop on. Then it's off to world showcase for some lunch!

ronandjulie
01-25-2012, 12:30 PM
I LOVE how routine people are. Everybody has litlle WDW "rituals" that they do. It's awesome! Our favorite park is Epcot so Spaceship Earth is always first. This only counts when we stay at WDW. We only live 45 minutes away so when we go on the weekends, it always changes.

Stu29573
01-25-2012, 02:26 PM
We always take a very early flight to get in as much as we can that first day. We try to be on Main Street by noon at the Magic Kingdom. We then walk straight up Main Street, take a left at teh Crystal Palace and enter Adventureland for our first ride....The Jungle Cruise!!!:D

PopPhan
01-25-2012, 02:41 PM
I guess we are in the 'strange' minority....We check in to our resort, then hop on whichever bus comes first - given that there aren't 100 people in line for that bus...

As far as first ride...We will wander around for a bit to get that "I'm in a Disney Park feeling," then find the shortest line and go...Once in a blue moon, we will pick up a FastPass first, but normally we just 'wing' it.

epceddie
01-25-2012, 03:25 PM
We like to head to the MK for morning extra-magic hours and ride Buzz Lightyear seven or eight times with no wait. It always gets the trip off to a great start. The we hop on the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (we saw Space Mountain all lit up inside once because is was down for a repair) and head over to Carousel of Progress for a sing a long - It's a great big beautiful tomorrow .........

darthmacho
01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
I guess we are in the 'strange' minority....We check in to our resort, then hop on whichever bus comes first - given that there aren't 100 people in line for that bus...

As far as first ride...We will wander around for a bit to get that "I'm in a Disney Park feeling," then find the shortest line and go...Once in a blue moon, we will pick up a FastPass first, but normally we just 'wing' it.

I'm a habitual planner, and I never visit the parks on check-in day, but I see a lot of merit in your tradition. I love the idea that you let fate decide which park you start with by getting on the first available bus, and then soak in the atmosphere before once again letting fate decide your first ride choice. I'm not sure I'd ever do it that way, but I have to give you major props for the idea! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
:clappy::clappy::clappy:

ransam
01-26-2012, 10:51 AM
personally i love to walk down Main street to start a vacation.

i usually walk through the castle and for some reason i usually go to Mickey's philharmonic, just because it has al the characters and just a cool way to start.

Of course, let's be honest. The first ride for me is Magical Express...Yes to me that is a ride!!! ha

Vinny
01-26-2012, 01:05 PM
I'm a habitual planner, and I never visit the parks on check-in day...

We have thought of doing this too, but seeing the last day of our vacation is also just a travel day, we like the idea of getting at least half a day in the parks on the day we arrive. MK is usually packed by noon and either by choice or coincidence, we always seem to end up at Epcot and walking onto SSE. It does make for a longer first day but lots more fun getting all the WDW time in we can on vacation.

Buttercup
01-26-2012, 01:08 PM
We must MUST must go to the Magic Kingdom first! And lately my son has been dictating that we go on Space Mountain first. :D

joonyer
01-26-2012, 03:07 PM
We always go to MK first, catch the train and ride it to Frontierland. Then ride Splash Mountain (our favorite) and BTMRR and then work our way around the rest of the park. (2 or three times!)

snowflakegirl
01-26-2012, 07:12 PM
We usually try to get an early morning flight so that we can make the most of arrival day. After we check in we leave or luggage with luggage services and head to MK. First ride is always the train. Then we just wander around and take the day as it comes until our room is ready.

Kairi_7378
01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
For our last 2 trips, we started at Epcot on Living with the Land. We always seem to start our vacations at Epcot :mickey:

busterthebronco
01-29-2012, 10:22 AM
no options here.
its straight to MK where we walk down main street and right through the castle to dumbo.
:mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
01-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Magic Kingdom is the first park and the last couple of trips Haunted Mansion is the first ride.

Dickson Thunder
01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
Since All Four Parks have been there we do AK first and head to the Safari. Since it only takes about 2/3's a day it is a good way to transition between the travel day and the vacation.

MrPeetrie
01-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Since All Four Parks have been there we do AK first and head to the Safari. Since it only takes about 2/3's a day it is a good way to transition between the travel day and the vacation.

Dickson Thunder, that use to be exactly how we did it until we had children.

When it was just my wife and I, we would try to guage our arrival time so we'd time our ADRs at Rainforest Cafe perfectly. Then, we would take in the rest of the afternoon at AK. When it closed, we'd go to Downtown Disney for shopping and dinner. Back to resort. A GREAT way to start a trip.

My DD didn't see it that way, however. On her first trip, she got freaked out by the animitronics at Rainforest Cafe. So now, we go to Epcot on arrival day. We still shop, but now it's at MouseGear. (Truthfully, I enjoy that SOOOO much! It really gets me in the mood for the vacation!)

My family has a saying: On arrival day, get what you want at MouseGear. Dad-o's too excited to say 'No.' [I'm Dad-o.] On departure day, get what you want at MouseGear. Dad-o's too sad to say 'No.'

RBrooksC
01-30-2012, 03:05 PM
When we went in May we stayed at the CR and so after lunch we went to the MK. Because my son wouldn't stop talking about the HM, we made a bee-line there and went on that first. That was fun because usually we hit Fantasyland first.

Poohluv85
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Like most everyone here, ours is Epcot and Spaceship Earth, and then directly to Soarin! This upcoming time is going to be ecspecially special because it will be my bestfriend's first trip to Walt Disney World. He grew up in California and has been to Disneyland many times. He's a total Disney nut (like me!) :D Cant wait I'm sooo excited to take him there! :mickey:

Vinny
01-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Like most everyone here, ours is Epcot and Spaceship Earth, and then directly to Soarin! This upcoming time is going to be ecspecially special because it will be my bestfriend's first trip to Walt Disney World. He grew up in California and has been to Disneyland many times. He's a total Disney nut (like me!) :D Cant wait I'm sooo excited to take him there! :mickey:

Wow!!! Your trip sounds like its going to be lots of fun. Soarin is a favorite of ours as well.

We met up with an uncle of mine on a previous trip, though he was not traveling with us but on a business trip of his own, staying at a place about 15 minutes away from us at WDW. On a day when he was free of meetings, we first went to lunch at POP and then DHS for the afternoon/evening. It was his first WDW visit also and I've still got the picture of us in front of the giant guitar out front at RRC on my home office desk here.

Enjoy your trip!!!

minnie-mouse
01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Magic Kingdom, usually carousel or Small World.