PDA

View Full Version : Smash

Melanie
01-24-2012, 08:33 AM
The previews are making this look really good, and I've read some decent reviews on it as well. I think I'll give it a try. Anyone else going to watch?

SBETigg
01-24-2012, 08:48 AM
I'll give it a try. I'm not greeting it with the enthusiasm the network seems to want to build for it, but I do want to see it.

floridamom
01-24-2012, 10:16 AM
That caught our eye, too. Good cast. When does it start?

PirateLover
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
The only thing holding me back is I never liked Katharine McPhee. Apparently if you have comcast/xfinity you can already access the show on demand. My musical theater friends who have already watched it say it's fun, but not very realistic in terms of what the audition process is like etc.

Carol
01-26-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm going to watch.

I adore Debra Messing and Angelica Huston. I also think Katharine McPhee is very talented. Looking forward to it. :)

diz_girl
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
I saw the commercials for it and I just can't drum up any enthusiasm for it. I love Jack Davenport (from Coupling and POTC), but I doubt I'll be watching.

MNNHFLTX
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Did anyone watch the full-length preview? It was fun! And Katherine McPhee is a surprisingly good actress in it!

TheDuckRocks
01-27-2012, 12:44 AM
I'm going to give it a try. I seem to bouce back and forth on the issue if I think I'm going to like it or not. The only way to know for sure is to view it. Obviously!:blush:

i'm grumpy
01-29-2012, 04:58 PM
I like Jack Davenport and Thorsten Kaye will appear starting in ep 7 I believe.

citizensnoopy
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
I'm excited for it! I saw Megan Hilty as Glinda in Wicked. :)

SBETigg
02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm excited for it! I saw Megan Hilty as Glinda in Wicked. :)

Me too! And I actually do like Kat McPhee. And Anjelica Huston. I should check out the preview.

White Rose
02-03-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm thinking about checking this show out too, but you all might be interested in knowing that NBC has released the show early on "On Demand" on Comcast before the show premieres! Might be worth checking out!

SBETigg
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I just watched the first episode. I thought it was really well done, actually. I enjoyed it.

No big spoilers, I think, but good storylines, not sure who to cheer for between the McPhee character and Megan Hilty's, and I think that works as it unfolds. The musical scenes were well done, and I like the one theme of the stage show going forward vs musical numbers all over the place a la Glee (which is getting old for me, the storylines just are not there lately). If I can get my husband hooked, we'll watch when it airs. If not, I'll catch up with it later, like I do for most of my favorite shows that he doesn't share an interest in (Downton Abbey, for example).

PirateLover
02-07-2012, 09:49 AM
Ok. I thought it was wonderful, and I begrudgingly admit that Kat McPhee is great in it so far. I wonder if they'll be able to keep it up with the original numbers. I liked the tunes they debuted so far.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Watched it last night. I'll reserve judgement after a few more episodes. Always hard to determine from the pilot if it will fly or not.

SBETigg
02-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Ok. I thought it was wonderful, and I begrudgingly admit that Kat McPhee is great in it so far. I wonder if they'll be able to keep it up with the original numbers. I liked the tunes they debuted so far.

Yes, the musical within the show is fun, and it will be great to see it coming together. I think it's a good concept. I got my husband to watch because he likes the McPhee, so I actually watched twice because I didn't want to tell him I'd watched the preview, and it stood up to two viewings without inducing boredom.

TheDuckRocks
02-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I was happy with the first show and very please with the quality of the production, keeping my fingers crossed that they maintain this level.

BriarRose0708
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
So I watched this on my lunch hour today (yay Hulu!) and didn't go into it with very high expectations. I actually really liked it! Was pleasantly surprised with Katharine McPhee. I knew she could sing but her acting wasn't half bad. The music was pretty good too, I loved the ending scenes from the music to the editing. It almost felt like you were watching a musical.

I will definitely watch next week. Hope it keeps getting better!

bleukarma
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I decided to watch this at the last minute and was pleasantly surprised. I thought the singing was great and I also found it hard to determine which character to root for.

NJDad
02-09-2012, 06:18 AM
The NY Times review said that the show gets better in later episodes, comparing it to how M*A*S*H* improved from its start.

Melanie
02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Eh, I don't like Megan Hilty, or maybe I just don't like this character. I've never seen Megan in anything else, and come to think of it, I do think she'd probably make an awesome Glinda, but something is off for me here.

So now I'm going to have a hard time choosing sides if it comes to that - so far I like Tom and Julia, but not Ivy. And I like Karen, but not Derek. Wow, his apartment was incredible though! ;)

BriarRose0708
02-14-2012, 11:16 AM
What did you all think of last night's episode? I'm not going to spoil anything but I thought it was pretty good although I liked the pilot better. It's still hard to know who to root for (although after one racy scene in the episode & the results it does get easier to choose), and I get the feeling Ivy's got more back story than we've been allowed to see so far. After last night it's clear her performances as Marilyn are influenced by something from her past or family. Hopefully it will come out in future episodes.

Melanie
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
I liked the episode, but didn't like the outcome. Not sure how they are going to work Karen back into it. :confused: My feelings about Ivy were solidified and I don't really like Tom either. His slobbering all over her was gross. I think we don't know all of Ivy's backstory either, and I bet she's not so sugary sweet as she appears.

BriarRose0708
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
I liked the episode, but didn't like the outcome. Not sure how they are going to work Karen back into it. :confused: My feelings about Ivy were solidified and I don't really like Tom either. His slobbering all over her was gross. I think we don't know all of Ivy's backstory either, and I bet she's not so sugary sweet as she appears.

The nice thing about the production being in "workshop mode" is they test out the material while the show is still in development. Many times, the cast from the workshop changes when the production goes on the road or to B'way. Not all the time, but for example Kristin Chenoweth was in the Thoroughly Modern Millie workshop cast, put in a ton of work and then the part was re-cast with Sutton Foster and then she won the Tony! So, maybe there's a plot line that they want Karen to understudy or they re-cast her in the production somehow. I don't think they would have promoted Katharine MacPhee so much in the previews if they were to but her character on the back burner after the 2nd episode.

Melanie
02-21-2012, 09:49 AM
So third episode - what did you all think?

I don't like Tom's assistant. What a weasel! Julia's secret won't stay secret long. So apparently this is the guy Debra Messing left her real husband for?

TheDuckRocks
02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
So apparently this is the guy Debra Messing left her real husband for?

What???

My interest in this show is rapidly vanishing. I'm already fairly well done with the chickie sleeping her way to stardom and Angelica Huston's drink tossing story lines. OK, the evil assistant might be interesting long term and I love Kathern McFee's boyfriend.

Katzateer
02-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I have seen the first one and then the one this week. I have lost interest already. :(

SBETigg
02-22-2012, 12:28 PM
I haven't seen it since the first one. I started a running program and can't stay up that late at night anymore. I've been planning to catch up online, but I have so much to catch up on as it is.

Melanie
02-28-2012, 10:03 AM
I really enjoyed last night's episode. Was glad we got to see more of the real Ivy. She's not the brightest and she's totally bratty. And I love that Karen finally has some allies.

Eileen should have just asked Lyle to invest in the production instead of presenting him with the art. Sounds like $200K was a drop in the hat for him.

Next week looks to be really good as well. :thumbsup:

i'm grumpy
02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
:silly: I'm still not sure who's who. I did turn it off last week. :sleepin:

SBETigg
02-29-2012, 10:10 PM
I watched online, now all caught up. I like the show, just not the time slot. Ivy really is a brat, sheesh. Next week does look good. Yeah, I was wondering why she just didn't ask Lyle to invest, too. But I think she'll get that art back. Eventually.

bleukarma
03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
I finally got caught up with the 2nd and 3rd episodes last night. I'm not sure if I like the way the show is turning. Debra Messing's character cheating on her husband. The assistant stealing and turning evil. I thought he was going to be one of the good ones. I also thought he was gay but I guess I had him pegged wrong all the way around. I know the show wouldn't be a drama without some drama to it, but I'm not sure how long it will keep my attention. I'll wait and see how far they take some of these plot points.

PirateLover
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyone still watching? I really like this show. :thumbsup:

SBETigg
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Still watching. I missed Monday's but I plan to catch up tomorrow. I've actually been liking it much more than I initially thought I would.

Melanie
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM
Still watching. I missed Monday's but I plan to catch up tomorrow. I've actually been liking it much more than I initially thought I would.

:ditto:

ftwildernesskid
04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm still watching and really enjoying it. I'm really hoping it doesn't get cancelled after this season like I've been hearing it may be.

TheDuckRocks
04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
I am completely done with this show, the plot lines are just to dumb to me. But i'm still watching as my DH, for some unknown reason, really likes it and I usually read while it's on.

SBETigg
04-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Just caught up. I'm still really liking it. I end each week wondering what next and eager to watch again, so that's a good sign. I think Eileen might have been more careful about burning bridges, and Karen might become more familiar with heartache. And I can only imagine that Rebecca is going to be a nightmare.

Disneymom4ever
04-11-2012, 03:20 PM
I have to admit, I started watching this at the beginning just out of curiosity. I am now hooked! Each week just draws me in, and I look forward to the next. I've even got my DH and son watching it now, which I never thought would happen! We really enjoy it. :mickey:

i'm grumpy
04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Loving Thorsten Kaye as Nick. :cloud9:

BriarRose0708
04-16-2012, 01:16 PM
Loving Thorsten Kaye as Nick. :cloud9:

Agree! I didn't know the actor's name until recently. He only existed in my head as "hot Irish bartender"

i'm grumpy
04-16-2012, 09:16 PM
:silly: He was so good on All My Children.

Melanie
04-18-2012, 06:57 AM
I know some have lost interest in this show, but I am loving it more and more every episode. I like the 'new' Ivy and how she and Karen are together. I also like Derek, Tom, Julia and Eileen coming together to combat Rebecca. That scene in Eileen's office where they all pointed to Julia writing more dialogue for Rebecca was too funny.

Anyway, I'm interested to see where they are going with Dev, Karen and Derek and also Tom and the dancer. The Eileen/Nick thing I'm not as sure about.

Can't wait for next week!

SBETigg
04-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I know some have lost interest in this show, but I am loving it more and more every episode. I like the 'new' Ivy and how she and Karen are together. I also like Derek, Tom, Julia and Eileen coming together to combat Rebecca. That scene in Eileen's office where they all pointed to Julia writing more dialogue for Rebecca was too funny.

Anyway, I'm interested to see where they are going with Dev, Karen and Derek and also Tom and the dancer. The Eileen/Nick thing I'm not as sure about.

Can't wait for next week!

Agreed. It has been oddly addicting. I really love the musical scenes, too. I like Ivy and Karen having a more friendly rivalry, and I'm worried about the whole Dev situation. I really liked him. How could he? Hoping he has a good explanation and that coworker thing goes nowhere. Uma Thurman has played the Rebecca role really well, I think. I wasn't sure how she would do on this show, and I like the way they have worked that out so far.

SBETigg
05-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh no! Dev! I am so disappointed. There's no getting past that one. Just catching up with this week's show.

Melanie
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
What a tangled mess! I don't like Dev anymore. To be honest, I've never been really over the top for him anyway. He's kinda boring. ;)

BriarRose0708
05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Sad next week is the finale but happy this was renewed for a season 2!

Dev just needs to go, I don't know how he's going to get himself out of that once Karen finds out, which of course she will one way or another. I thought the ending of Bombshell was awful too, I wouldn't have applauded either.

SBETigg
05-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Sad next week is the finale but happy this was renewed for a season 2!

Dev just needs to go, I don't know how he's going to get himself out of that once Karen finds out, which of course she will one way or another. I thought the ending of Bombshell was awful too, I wouldn't have applauded either.

Agreed. That's a big downer. I think they might have seen that one coming. Dev does need to go. And yes, he is kind of boring anyway. I liked that he seemed supportive of her career choices at first, but then he became less so and more of a jerk, so... will they drop that bomb next week or let Karen plan a wedding before the truth comes out?

Mousefever
05-09-2012, 06:34 AM
I know I'm jumping in kind of late. Worse, I'm jumping in to say that I had to stop watching after Julia cheated on her husband. That just made me sick. She had so many opportunities to walk away. And to hear that she was cheating on her real life husband with her co-star hook up is beyond nauseating. I couldn't handle her walking around, looking all tragic and noble when she was the vile perpetrator. :ack:

PirateLover
05-09-2012, 06:38 PM
There are successful musicals that end with tragedy but there's usually some sort of message... The one that comes to mind right away is West Side Story, you have Tony getting killed and Maria cradling him, saying "we all killed him" while the music swells. Something was just so blah about the ending of Bombshell. Can't way to see how they work around it.

The problem with the show is clearly the writing. The character development is all over the place. First Ivy is a villain, then we're meant to feel sorry for her, then she's a villain again. Karen is the selfish one, then it's Dev. Derrick is a jerk, then he's not, then he is. There is a difference between establishing room for growth in characters and just flip flopping every other week on whether or not they are a good person. I will be interested to see how it goes next season now that the show runner is being replaced. The musical numbers-meaning the songs from the ACTUAL musical-are the main reason I keep coming back. I want to see more of the theater and less CHEATING. We've had Julia and Michael in an affair, Dev cheating on Karen twice-Kissing RJ and sleeping with Ivy, who was sleeping with him because she was upset Derrick cheated on her with Rebecca. Even Tom started emotionally cheating with Sam behind the back of that Republican lawyer guy whose name I've already forgotten. Enough with the soap opera schmaltz!

Melanie
05-15-2012, 05:24 PM
I loved, loved the finale. Of course, Julia is with child by Michael and I doubt Ivy will overdose (although I'm thinking she'll take the pills and be found before it's too late), but the rest of the finale was a surprise to me. Everything was revealed and Karen did great in the production. I like how they teased us at the beginning and then went through the previous 12 hours leading up to the show. I like Derek and do believe he knows what love is and can't help but kinda want him and Karen together....eventually. I like how he told Dev she was his now.

Can't wait for season 2!

PirateLover
05-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Once again the actual musical behind-the-scenes and production stuff was great, and Karen did make a convincing Marilyn. I guess I'll just have to resign myself to the fact that if I want to watch this, I just have to get over the soap opera aspect. But "I haven't thrown up since I was pregnant!" and Ivy with the pills and the evil Ellis saying "You haven't heard the last of me!" He might as well have added a maniacal laugh after that. So cliche. I don't mind soap opera-esque plots in general. I mean, Downton Abby is basically a soap. I recognize that shows like this need cliffhangers and suspense to keep you hooked, but for sure, Smash needs a better script writer. It won't be back on until next February, so hopefully they work out all of the kinks by then.

Melanie
09-01-2012, 01:42 PM
Ugh. Casting Jennifer Hudson just made me a little less anxious for this to come back. :ack:

PirateLover
09-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Ugh. Casting Jennifer Hudson just made me a little less anxious for this to come back. :ack:

Aww... maybe it's time to give her another chance? A lot has happened in her life since the American Idol days...

SBETigg
09-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Aww... maybe it's time to give her another chance? A lot has happened in her life since the American Idol days...

She has been through a lot, but I don't really enjoy watching her. I do feel for her personal tragedies. Still, those Weight Watchers commercials, ugh. She is so over the top. I'm still planning on watching.

Melanie
09-01-2012, 08:26 PM
She has been through a lot, but I don't really enjoy watching her. I do feel for her personal tragedies. Still, those Weight Watchers commercials, ugh. She is so over the top. I'm still planning on watching.

Exactly! Although her personal story is tragic, I just...don't like her. I thought her role in Sex and the City was total stunt casting, and I didn't care for it.

I'll watch, and hope it's a short story arc like with Uma.

Yeah, first NeNe Leakes on Glee, and now this. I still haven't even watched the last few episodes of Glee from last season. They totally lost me.

PirateLover
09-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I agree the role in Sex and the City was totally pointless and I wasn't into it. I really did like her in Dreamgirls though, and the only reason I brought up the personal tragedy is because I think it has made her more humble, appreciative etc which I thought was a big reason people were turned off by her. No to get into another back and forth over Jennifer Hudson, but I don't see how her Weight Watchers commercials are any worse than any other celebrity endorsement? I think she looks amazing. I'll give her a chance on Smash...

PirateLover
09-02-2012, 12:27 PM
NeNe Leeks actually held her own on Glee, I felt, but overall Glee has really lost its way. I think this may be it's last season, although I bet it will be hard to walk away from the music cash cow. But clearly, Ryan Murphy is now up to his elbows in fresh new TV shows (American Horror Story, The New Normal) that if Glee continues to loose ratings, I think it's over.