PDA

View Full Version : Most Fun Epcot Restaurant for Kids

disneykidsince1970
01-23-2012, 04:54 AM
Hi all - we are going in April - we are 5 adults and 4 kids (12, 10, 7, 5). We are planning a lunch ADR at Epcot.

I've been to Epcot a million times - but only 2x with kids and they were much younger...

We currently have the San Angel (inside Mex pavillion) booked - the kids will love looking at the "volcano" smoking on the back wall, and watching the boats. However, since Intercot reviews are very mixed (my personal experience is mediocre to bad food, medium service but high "wow" atmosphere factor), I thought I would ask the question...

At Epcot, what are the best restaurants for Kids? - i.e., "fun" (characters not required).

Thanks!!:mickey:

murphy1
01-23-2012, 07:50 AM
My kids fave at Epcot is Garden Grill (they no longer offer lunch sadly, that was our fave place) and Coral Reef (the aquarium is the draw here and the kids like the blue ice cubes). I have tried SAI twice (once when I was single and mom and I went and then years later with kids) and both times were bad, my kids hated it b/c we were not put at a good table and service was really bad, we have MUCH better authentic Mex at home. Mine also like the Princess Breakfast at Norway, but they are all girls

Katzateer
01-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Favorites for us -Garden Grill and the dinner buffet in Germany. All the dancing and music! For lunch we usually go counter service -the American Pavilion is fun when performers are near the outside dining.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-23-2012, 08:36 AM
My kids favorite was always Teppan Edo. Obviously kid friendly, with both the atmosphere and the food. They loved Coral Reef as well, but ONLY for the atmosphere. They hated the food! :secret:

BrerGnat
01-23-2012, 08:36 AM
I'd think the Teppanyaki restaurant in Japan would be a huge hit with your kids ages. Those tables are naturally made for large parties. You'd all sit around the hibachi grill and get to have your own personal chef put on a bit of a show while he/she makes the food.

There is a smoking volcano here too, it's just made out of a stack of onions. :secret:

murphy1
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
One of my friends I have sometimes traveled to Disney with loves Teppan Edo as do her husband and son (she is half-Japanese, so I consider her an expert on this one, too).

Jillirose
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
My kids love the food and atmosphere of Coral Reef - and have for many years running. It's one of their annual requests. :thumbsup:

MarkC
01-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Teppan Edo is fun but our first choice is Germany due to the combined food and atmosphere. I do have two teenage boys so the ability to choose and eat what they want weighed heavily in my decision. Depending on your kids Teppan Edo may be better for you. Unless you have young girls (Norway would be good), those are your top two choices in our opinion.

Kenny1113
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Just based on the title of your thread, I would have suggested San angel. My kids love going there. They love the atmosphere, the volcano and watching the boats. We have never had a bad experience there. But I know you are looking for something else. I agree with pp of the atmosphere at coral reef. However the food is not so good. We have enjoyed garden grill for lunch in the past. My kids even enjoyed the French one (I forget the name now) but I wouldn't call it 'fun'.

Disney4us2
01-23-2012, 06:19 PM
We have enjoyed Teppan Edo. Another favorite is The Garden Grill in the Land pavillion. It is a character dining, but it is not wild and crazy. It is more of a relaxed experience. The food has been really good at both everytine we have been there.

spinnerf
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
I wouldnt be afraid of San Angel, the food isnt great but its fine and the atmosphere is awesome, kids will love it. I have to echo other responders though and say Teppen Edo would be my choice, even with the 5 year old, the show the chef puts on is fantastic and the food is very good. Germany is also very good, frequently the band plays "the chicken dance" and invites the kids up to the dance floor to dance, plus its buffet so its great for picky eaters.

ElenitaB
01-23-2012, 10:27 PM
I would chose either Teppan Edo (waiting to eat has never been so entertaining) or Garden Grill (when they're not eating or seeing characters, the scenery is constantly and slowly changing as the restaurant revolves). Both were my DS's favorites when he was the age of the kids in your party.

Hair_Razor
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
One more for Teppen Edo. However I can say that Coral Reef to our family was far better food wise than San Angel.

disneykidsince1970
01-24-2012, 02:36 AM
Thanks so much everyone for chiming in! It is a tough call as I see benefits to each one. At the moment... I am thinking...

- sticking with SAI for the high wow factor despite low food expectations (a great opp to pleasantly surprised!) and...

- Coral Reef as alternate (a different meal) b/c it is a unique experience to be able to watch sea life and eat. My kids will at least eat fish sticks.

- Teppan Edo b/c although the food is prob the best ...it is a bit FAR of a walk if we are trying to make an ADR and we are coming from a different park to do so AND... while my kids haven't done Hibatchi-style eating yet, it isn't too hard to find a place to do it.

*One cool thing I'm reminded of is that even though I've been to WDW a gazillion times....there is still a lot I haven't done!! and...doing it with kids makes it feel new, even if I have done it before. :)

Thanks again everyone!!
*Additional views/comments/idea still welcome!!

mdricks
01-24-2012, 11:51 AM
Another vote for Biergarten. The music is fun and my kids enjoy sitting with other families.

Being a buffett they get as much as they want, of what they want.

And the big steins of beer dont hurt!
:beer:

SBETigg
01-24-2012, 12:17 PM
San Angel Inn has been a favorite with my kids since our first visit with them. They love it. And we've never had awful food or bad service, though I have seen the reviews. Other favorites for my two are Via Napoli and Tokyo Dining/Teppan Edo. Teppan Edo is fun, but not a must for us as we have lots of great Japanese restaurants near home. My daughter is a big fan of Chefs de France, but not a favorite for my son. Neither one of them was that thrilled with Biergarten.

joonyer
01-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Our boys loved Teppan Edo. We did too. very entertaining and good food too!