PDA

View Full Version : Iphone question

Jeri Lynn
01-22-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi Everyone,
I have an Iphone 4, which I love. I also have a new Ford Edge with sync.

I can play my itunes on my iphone on my car thru the bluetooth feature. When I do this it says "bluetooth streaming"....am I using data service when I do this? I don't want to mess up and overuse my data plan, and I'll plug my phone into the car if necessary....

I don't have a lot of knowledge of data usage and my phone.....

Thanks!

DizneyRox
01-23-2012, 07:23 AM
If the songs are on your iPhone and your using the stock iPod app, then no. It's all done without a data plan. If you are using a streaming app like Pandora or Orb, then yes, you are using data to get the music to your phone. The Bluetooth part though doesn't impact you.

Pandora is fantastic though... Check it out if you haven't...

Jeri Lynn
01-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks so much! Phew, now I don't have to worry.

I have used Pandora and did like it, but I was afraid of using too much of my data plan up.

It is so nice not to have to plug my phone into the car and have wires around!!

DizneyRox
01-23-2012, 12:31 PM
True... I refuse to let go of my grandfathered data plans. If they go, so do I. I stream just everything. Well, that's a lie, I stream EVERYTHING. I don't have one piece of music or video on my iPhone. All apps...

Oh, you know what, you aren't storing the music in iCloud are you? I haven't played around with that, but if you can play music directly from your iCloud account then yes, that would use your data plan. Maybe I'll play with that tonight..

Jeri Lynn
01-24-2012, 08:22 AM
My kids played around with icloud on my phone and ipad so I just went to my phone settings and I don't see music listed under icloud but under documents and data where it said use cellular, I turned that off.

I had no idea what icloud was to begin with so I guess I can live without it!

It did give me an option for shutting off icloud for documents and data but when I turned it off it told me all documents and data in iphone would be deleted...I wasn't sure what that really meant so I turned that back on. I don't really keep anything on my phone, I use it basically as a phone/ipod and I have some pictures...can I shut that off?

I'm also wondering if having icloud messes up my internet when I am at our camp in Maine...I started having problems with my phone in Maine after Christmas (which would be after the kids put icloud on), all of a sudden I can't access facebook or my mail from Maine. I was going to call AT & T to see what was up...my husband has an iphone and never has a problem!

DizneyRox
01-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Could it be the kids connected to the WiFi at camp but that network blocks facebook and mail? I know I block social networking at my house, it's done on the router, so nobody that connects would be able to get there (MyFace, Twitter, etc) from here.

If your husband doesn't connect to the WiFi spot, he's probably using the normal data (3G) path and wouldn't be subject to their restictions.

Go to: Settings | WiFi and see if the camp network is listed. Clicking on it will allow you to Forget that network, which means it won't connect unless you tell it to.

Just a thought, iCloud, etc should have nothing to do with mail, etc. If it's just Maine, then it's probably a local thing, which would point me to think it's whatever network is being connected to.

SBETigg
01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
If you have a lot of connected devices, iCloud is great for sharing that information between your devices automatically. I have a MacBook Pro, an iPad, and an iPhone and iCloud helps me get my pictures/music/documents to all three devices without having to do anything extra. But if you're only using the iPhone and not concerned with carrying anything over to other devices, you probably don't need iCloud.

Jeri Lynn
01-24-2012, 01:20 PM
We don't have wi-fi at the camp. I typically get my facebook/email/etc thru the 3G.

I've had my phone for well over a year and I never had a problem until the last two trips in the beginning of January.

Last weekend when I shut my phone off, I turned it back on and it was "searching" for service for hours, yet my ipad had service and my DH's phone had service.

It was all very strange.

DizneyRox
01-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Provided you can, a restore may be in order. You can do this through iTunes and grab the latest firmware. It's jailbreakable if that matters (does to me).

I've seen some weird unexplainable stuff that just went away after I restored the firmware.

Remember the 4 also has th "antennagate" issue. Maybe you're holding it wrong. :-)