PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the Guilt

elmjimmlm
01-20-2012, 08:16 AM
I have an opportunity to go to WDW with my DH this summer but I am having mixed feelings...My kids will all be at camp for a week and my DH's only week off this summer is the same week...He is wanting to go, just the 2 of us and while I love that idea, I just don't know...I have never been on vacation without them since they have been born and I am having a hard time trying to convince myself to just do it...We are going to take them New Years week this year so they won't be missing out completely...We always talk about how nice it would be to go if it were just the 2 of us but I just feel so guilty about it now that it could actually happen...I don't know what to do...HELP!!!:confused:

Dopey's Girl
01-20-2012, 08:32 AM
GO! I'm sure that the kids will be sad at first, but they will be having fun at camp.

disney obsessed
01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
We did everything as a family for years. then, about four years ago, we realized that our eldest was old enough to watch the younger kids.

What a revaluation! we have been going on vacation in feb every year since.
It is nice to be a couple for a few days and remember why you created a family in the first place.

Life presents opportunities. We should take the good ones.

Melanie
01-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Life presents opportunities. We should take the good ones.

This is great! Agreed.

Do it! With a trip with the kids planned for the future, I wouldn't worry. They may jokingly give you a hard time, but they'll be having fun at camp and will understand.

My hubby and I went on a trip, just the two of us, for our 10th anniversary when our boys were 5 and 7. Like you, we had another trip planned for the near future, and they understood and had fun with the grandparents while we were gone. It's not like you are leaving them bored and alone at home.

Go, have guilt-free fun and enjoy your alone time with your hubby. :mickey:

d_m_n_n
01-20-2012, 09:10 AM
I know exactly how you feel! My husband and I went for a short trip to Disney last February...our first real time away from DSs. My only saving grace was knowing they were going to have so much fun with the family watching them.

I'll admit, it wasn't easy leaving them at all! But in the end, it was an absolutely amazing time! For the first time, we were able to truly be kids ourselves. We also did the segway tour...something not possible with the boys.

In the end, I was so glad we made the decision. I say go and have fun...if anything it will make your next family trip even better!!! :thumbsup:

elmjimmlm
01-20-2012, 09:18 AM
My boys have been to camp but my DD hasn't...This will be her 1st year going and she is afraid of being homesick and the 2 of us not being home...My mom and other family members would be here if that happens but she can make me feel so bad...

Auntie B
01-20-2012, 09:20 AM
GO! GO! GO! As much fun as you have as a family, being there as a couple is a completely different type of trip. DH & I got to do this in 2010 and it was the most relaxing, romantic and fun thing we have ever done. Soooo excited that you have this opportunity! :mickey:

Melanie
01-20-2012, 09:54 AM
We also did the segway tour...something not possible with the boys.

Yes! Take this as an opportunity to eat places and do things you can't/wouldn't with the kids. :thumbsup:

brownie
01-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Go without the kids. We've been twice without ours and I had no guilt about it. It will be a different experience for you (but still good!)

mydisneygirls
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM
I totally understand completely! I'm a single mom and feel guilty about going over to a friends house for a few hours with them home!!!

Ask yourself this....if I were going on a trip without the kids to somewhere other than WDW, would I feel a little less guilty???? I think the answer would be yes! Go and have a great time. You have the trip in Jan with the kids to look forward to.

floridamom
01-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Another vote for "Go!" As others have said, you have another Disney trip planned, so your kids will also have their chance soon.

The fact that your husband wants to do this just with you says a lot. (It is highly doubtful that WDW would be my DH's pick for a getaway sans kids .:mickey:) Sometimes as parents we think the best thing we can do for our children is to focus on them all the time, but kids gain a great sense of security and stability when they see that their parents really love each other, enjoy spending time together and make it a priority to do so.

I don't know how old your daughter is, but when our DD was 8 she went away to camp for the first time and returned with newfound confidence that she made it on her own. It could be good for your daughter to know that she can't just call you to come get her the second she feels a little homesick. She will have her brothers nearby and the wonderful thing about camp is that the kids stay busy, busy, busy. Plus it is great that you have other family who are available for her just in case.

Good luck with your decision!

Faver
01-20-2012, 12:43 PM
GO :party: My husband and I have gone on our own, and it's a great experience. We were both running around like kids ourselves! Just bring back some extra special souvenirs for your kids!!!!!

have fun.... being a parent is non stop!:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
GO!! The opprotunity to do something as just a couple during his only vacation week - HOW WONDERFUL!!!!!

Your children will all be at camp, they will be attended to by competent personnel and your family is near by. GO GO GO GO.

The best thing my husband and I have done is to go off on our own without children. We did 7 days at WDW in January of '09 for our 20th anniversary. Inlaws came and watched the children for the week. They all survived and we had a great time renewing our relationship together.

TheVBs
01-20-2012, 04:45 PM
I would be feeling exactly the same way! But, I have to chime in with the others and say go for it! You've got back up for the week, the kids will be at camp AND you've got a family WDW trip planned for later in the year. It doesn't get any better than that!

darthmacho
01-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure that would be...GO!!!!!!
(Seriously, I think you should go.)

cer
01-20-2012, 11:00 PM
My husband and I went on our own in Sept.

I encourage you to go- you will not regret it and have a treasure of memories.

Kairi_7378
01-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Think of it as an oppertunity to try some new restaurants, hang out in the World Showcase, and to scope out some fun things as a family for your December trip. Maybe you could try a resort that you haven't been to with the kids.

(I would feel torn too, but I agree with the PP's... do it!)

Cinderelley
01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes, you will feel guilty, but this is something you should do anyway. They would be gone even if you stayed at home. You aren't being a bad parent. In fact, it is just the opposite. You are taking time to build your marriage and set a good example for your kids to see how important that relationship is.

BrerGnat
01-24-2012, 09:06 AM
GO!!!

Although, I'd probably choose a different place to go if I had a trip planned to WDW later in the year, but since your DH is the one who wants to go, GOOOOOOO!!!!!

Your kids will be fine at camp, and it's not like you are leaving the country. If something urgent comes up, you are just a plane ride away. The grandparents can handle anything urgent. Be happy you have that kind of support and take advantage of it.

Oh, and GO!!!!!

minnie04
01-24-2012, 03:02 PM
It is nice to be a couple for a few days and remember why you created a family in the first place.

Exactly !!! Go and have fun and remember it's all about the two of you for the week:heart: . The kids will have a great time at camp and probably not even care. Just tell them you are going to do adult things like Epcot, and sit through shows they don't ever want to and romantic dinners etc.. Just mom & dad time. :dance: :cheers:

P.S. I wish my husband would ask me to go alone !!!! just remember no talking about how 'ohhhh the kids would have loved this or that"...it's all about YOU and DH