PDA

View Full Version : But I was just there!!?!!

disney obsessed
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
And I want to go back.

I am about to share a secret. Please do not tell my husband. I do not want to go with him. I have been to the resort with a friend and with just my kids several times since he went. this past holiday, he was there. he is still in commando mode and cannot slow down.
Granted, heis very tall and a step for him is two for most but I could not get him to slow down. It felt like I was chasing him all over the park.

so.........

Now I feel like I need a Disney vacation from my Disney vacation. I would love to go for the 24 hour day but it is just not going to happen.

anyone else ever feel this way?

SBETigg
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Oh, I can relate! My husband is a commando. Not that we have to see and do everything, but he can't stand crowds so he thinks it is okay to plow right through them. When I am with him, he is darting people left and right, not nudging or pushing, but easing around others at a fast pace. He can't stand being behind people going just even a tad slower. He drives the same way. And I'm a "so what, let's just slow down and drink it all in" kind of person so we're at odds that way. Not that I prefer to go without him, but it adds some unnecessary stress.

Mr Wizard
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Ok I may be a little out of place here but I would like to speak for the "commando" side. I am someone who likes to get up and hit the parks early, because I have learned over the years that not many other people do and since I am the one who pays the full tab for these trips I want to get my moneys worth and ride everything I can with minimal wait time. Now these trips have have all ways been me and the wife and we have been doing them for 25 plus years. Neither one of us is a spring chicken any more and I am willing to admit it's time to slow things down a bit. We just went in Dec for 6 days and purposley only bought 3 days of tickets and planned to just take in the Christmas decorations on the other days. But on the first day we were to hit the parks I'm showered and ready by 9 ( which I consider late ) and the wife didn't even start getting ready untill 11 ( in her defence she did quickly realise how steamed I was at her actions so she made sure we rode every ride that was open and we stayed untill they kicked us out ). So if someone out there can come up with a plan to keep everything even and everyone happy I would like to hear it.

TheVBs
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Funny!!:D Our solution to this situation (DH is the commando, I'm more laid back) is to spend enough time at WDW so that we can usually visit each park multiple times. Although, I have to say, even though I like to take things easy, it would make me nuts to only start getting ready at 11am! Unless we planned it, which we sometimes do if we know we're going to be in a park really late. Anyway, if we know we're going to get to hit each park at least a couple times, it really takes the pressure off and we both meet in the middle pace-wise. You still can't do everything, but we're realistic about that and make lists of our must do things. :mickey:

disney obsessed
01-18-2012, 07:31 PM
I also am the one that wants to be there when it opens, stay until it closes and everyone is begging me to go back to the hotel! I have an issue with moving so quickly through the parks. I want to be able to look at the details and my husband just can't see them. I love the architecture, the signs above main street,walking through the rose garden, reading the signs in tomarrowland. we criss crossed the park numerous times and I still did not get to see several signs, wall tiles or vantages points that I look forward to every time I visit.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-18-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm 5'3", married to a man 6' tall. But I learned while still in Jr. High, to get behind the tall people to get through the halls the easiest. :D

But commando style - nope, when hubby and I went for our 20th anniversary - we were relaxed and took our time having a wonderful laid back vacation.

Now DD and I are planning the same style of vacation in June. :)

AgentC
01-19-2012, 02:28 AM
I can relate too. We have lived in FL for 10 years and go on at least 4 trips a year (and that's only the overnight trips). When we first started going and had no kids, we did the commando style together, but now that is really not necessary. :)

Last year was the first year I could get my husband to slow down and remember if we miss something it will be there next time. :thumbsup:

But the trips with him are still a bit more stressful than the trips without. Luckily I have the luxury of taking a few trips without him that I use to have a more relaxed day.

Oh and like Sherri's husband my husband drives like that too. Since it has a tendency to make me a little :sick:, he isn't usually allowed to drive to or at WDW. :)

White Rose
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I just returned from the first family Disney vacation in ten years with my family on the 16th. I thought since my father has reached the ripe old age of 50, he might not be like this anymore...boy, was I wrong. :ill:

I have no issues with being at the parks early but he wants to be there for 12 hours and I just can't do it! I have no qualms at leaving at about 3pm and heading back to the hotel to rest/nap and than heading back out to the park later in the evening. I had a nice time but by the middle of trip, he realized he had to slow down for the rest of us!

BWayGrl
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
This is exactly why I took a solo trip recently!

I used to always go with my family, then just my mom. It was always great. I tried going once with my now-ex, and it just wasn't the same. He has a short temper, got frustrated easily, we could never decide on where or when to eat...wasn't a huge Disney fan to begin with.

One year, my mom invited my step-dad to come. Same thing. Hated crowds, didn't want to hit the parks as early as we did...luckily, he would leave us and go back to the room to nap in the middle of the day.

So I took a solo trip about a month ago just so I could have at least ONE trip where I could do whatever I wanted. I booked the trip right before I started seeing my new boyfriend, but he was totally fine with it. He thought it was so cool that I was doing it by myself. I do want to go with him some day (he's thankfully a Disney fan like me), but I know how you feel just wanting to have your vacation be the way you want it. :mickey:

ronandjulie
01-20-2012, 04:38 PM
You gotta admit.....some people go soooooo slow that they make those of us who know where we're going all look like commandos.

LudwigVonDrake
01-21-2012, 07:58 PM
I refuse to do the commando-style approach to the parks. Been there done that. Now it's naps and swims in the middle of the day. Much more relaxing that way.

Cinderelley
01-22-2012, 12:35 AM
There's a simple solution. The commando - style one takes off when they are ready to hit the parks. When the more relaxed one is ready, they meet up. It works great for my friends and I.

Kairi_7378
01-22-2012, 08:19 AM
I can sympathize! For our first two trips, DH and I did the commando thing. (We even booked a Keys to the Kingdom tour at the last minute on our "sleep in day.")

This past trip was our first with our 3 year old son. We read the Unofficial Guide, and they are pretty adament that you take a 2-3 hour break from the parks. DH made me PROMISE that we would leave at the designated "nap time" before we left on our trip.

I'm sure you can see where this is going... Once we were there, my husband was the one who kept wanting to do "just one more thing." When we did return to the resort, it was to change for one of our few ADR's and we were there for an hour, tops. (I didn't brin my nice clothes with me to the parks because we'd agreed on a nap.) It took us a few days to develop a pace that worked for us. It caused a little bit of friction before we did, though!