PDA

View Full Version : Dining Advice?

JabberJaws
01-18-2012, 09:06 AM
Doing a 2-night (1-day in the parks) brief stay at DL during a trip to San Diego with my wife. We are staying at the Paradise Pier. Looking to do dinner somewhere after the parks close (8 pm) the day we are doing DL (Thursday, Feb. 2).

We've been to DL one other time and ate at Hook's Pointe. It was good, not great. Also, I know the Napa Rose is probably the best, but I don't want to spend that much $$ :spend:.

Any suggestions? Looking for outside the parks. Nice, and don't mind spending a bit, but not Napa Rose $$. Doesn't even have to be on Disney property if there are any good nearby restaurants, tho DL property would be a plus.

Thanks!

Melanie
01-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
How much can you comfortably spend, total?

There are lots of good options. My personal favorites are:

Catal

Naples

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen

These are all in Downtown Disney.

But, honestly, I'd still recommend Napa Rose. It doesn't have to be $$$. DH and I had a couple very good meals there, and only one of them was $$$ (it was an anniversary dinner, so we went all out with starters, entrees, dessert, champagne, etc.) If you just go in for entrees and maybe a glass of wine each, and split dessert, you can get out of there with a reasonable bill.

If you can part with $100-150, a dinner at Napa Rose can't be beat. You will spend close to that at Steakhouse 55, or Catal, just so you know. Steakhouse 55's "cheapest" meal option is the prix fixe menu, and it's $40 per person, not including wine.

If you need to keep your tab under $100, Naples or Jazz Kitchen would be my recommendations.

If you are looking for more casual dining, ESPN Zone has always been a favorite of ours, or La Brea Bakery (the sit down cafe) is also a solid option.

JabberJaws
01-18-2012, 11:39 AM
I think I am looking to stay under $100. Jazz Kitchen caught my eye. I remembered seeing it last time we were there. Prices look reasonable, and it seems to be a more adult-friendly place, while still being casual. Food looked good (and different) too. How would you rate it?

Also, potentially for drinks after dinner, how is Trader Sam's Tiki Bar? Looked like a really neat place. Reminded me of the Adventurer's Club.

BrerGnat
01-18-2012, 11:59 AM
I think I am looking to stay under $100. Jazz Kitchen caught my eye. I remembered seeing it last time we were there. Prices look reasonable, and it seems to be a more adult-friendly place, while still being casual. Food looked good (and different) too. How would you rate it?

Also, potentially for drinks after dinner, how is Trader Sam's Tiki Bar? Looked like a really neat place. Reminded me of the Adventurer's Club.

I love the Jazz Kitchen. Service can be spotty, but the food is incredible! Go for dinner, and ask to eat upstairs. There is a more "formal" dining room up there. Very nice!

The new Tiki Bar is fun, but very small. If the weather is nice, there is plenty of outdoor seating.

wildernesslady
01-31-2012, 05:56 PM
I enjoyed Naples in DTD.

Crow
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
park, DD or closeby good but not exp dining? pizza, sushi, buffets..
and drinking of course:beer:

BrerGnat
02-02-2012, 08:24 AM
park, DD or closeby good but not exp dining? pizza, sushi, buffets..
and drinking of course:beer:

How do you define "not expensive?" You are going to be in Southern CA. EVERYTHING is "expensive." Even IHOP is expensive.

There's not too much value in going "off property" to eat at DLR unless you head to the hole in the wall Mexican and Pizza joints in the neighborhood (none of which are exceptional).

There's a Mimi's Cafe across from DL on Harbor. That place is fairly good, but it's not exactly cheap. You can get comparable food inside the parks.

As for on property:
-Naples for Pizza (can be reasonable if two people share a pizza inside)
-ESPN Zone for drinks/good food. This place is a longtime family favorite.
-Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's at DLR are unique and fun.
-La Brea Bakery at DtD is excellent
-Tortilla Jo's TAQUERIA (not the inside TS) is quite good
-Storyteller's Cafe has a small, but very good buffet.
-Whitewater Snacks inside GCH is good!

Mostly all the in park CS places are good. Look at menus online to see which ones appeal to you most. There are some very unique offerings around the park in the different places; definitely NOT all the same "burgers, fries, chicken strips."

You can get :beer: at the Karl Strauss beer truck in DCA. You can also get some pretty tasty margaritas (frozen style) at Rita's Baja Blenders (near the beer truck...both are in Pacific Wharf area). You can also get wines by the glass at the Wine Country CS stand.

UVA bar in Downtown Disney has some really good drinks and good food as well, if the weather is nice (it's an outdoor bar).

Crow
02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
thank you. ill try some of the inside the park/DD places. and Mimis should b close to where we are staying.
im used to Disney pricing at WDW.. dont mind paying some if its good. my friend is more buffet, pizza lower price things. i like those too but dont mind like WDW artist pt, CA grill type on vacation.
and i will research some of the :marg::beer:

Carol
04-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Steakhouse 55 at the Disneyland Hotel. :thumbsup:

Ditto. :number1: