PDA

View Full Version : No More 49'ers

MNNHFLTX
01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Just saw on FB that the Miner 49'ers will be ending their run at DCA on February 13th. :(

Scar
01-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Appropriate since the football 49'ers will be ending their run this Sunday. :football:

tinkwest
01-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Too bad. They always seem to have a nice little crowd during their sets. :cowboy: :cowgirl:

Melanie
01-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm really, really, reeeeeaaaalllyyy sad about this. :( Emails being prepared to send to Disneyland. I'd love to know what was behind this decision.

Beth, did you get to see them last week? I'm so upset I won't get to see them again. :sad:

MNNHFLTX
01-17-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm really, really, reeeeeaaaalllyyy sad about this. :( Emails being prepared to send to Disneyland. I'd love to know what was behind this decision.

Beth, did you get to see them last week? I'm so upset I won't get to see them again. :sad:Yes, I did get to see them, but it wasn't the same--no Anders or Rick. Still, they had a good-sized audience. I can't imagine why Disney would be getting rid of the group. :(

Carol
01-18-2012, 06:59 AM
I'd love to know what was behind this decision.
Speculation is the group will not fit in with the new theme of that area.

So glad I'll see them in 2 weeks. :(

Melanie
01-18-2012, 08:02 AM
Speculation is the group will not fit in with the new theme of that area.

What the new theme? I didn't realize that area was changing. I mean, how are they then going to change the theme of Grizzly River Run? :confused:

tinkwest
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
What the new theme? I didn't realize that area was changing. I mean, how are they then going to change the theme of Grizzly River Run? :confused:

I had the same question. Why is that section retheming? I've never heard any mention of that.

BrerGnat
01-18-2012, 11:03 AM
They are likely replacing this with the new "Minnie's Fly Girls" show, which is set to debut in the "Condor Flats" area, which is adjacent to Grizzly River run. Since this show will be on a schedule, I assume they don't want conflicting audio entertainers within such close proximity.

Also, they are sort of re-themeing the GRR area to be more "retro". They have made subtle changes to props on the ride, signage, and CM uniforms already. They want the area to feel more like how national parks, like Yosemite looked in the middle of the 20th century, around the 1950's or so.

There are lots of entertainment changes coming to DCA. This is just one of them.

Melanie
02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Minnie's Fly Girls.

They want the area to feel more like how national parks, like Yosemite looked in the middle of the 20th century, around the 1950's or so.

So these two relate how?

What does the the Fly Girls show entail?

:confused:

BrerGnat
02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
So these two relate how?

What does the the Fly Girls show entail?

:confused:

The retheme I mentioned is specifically for the Grizzly River Run area, not Condor Flats. From what I've gathered so far, the different "lands" at DCA are supposed to be themed after different eras in the early part of the 20th century. This area is to get the "50's" era themeing, and Condor Flats will be more of a 60's/70's aviation/space era theme.

The Minnie's Fly Girls show is just a musical stage show. The "fly girls", I think, are going to be dressed like stewardesses. Think: PanAm theme.

Melanie
02-09-2012, 07:57 AM
The retheme I mentioned is specifically for the Grizzly River Run area, not Condor Flats. From what I've gathered so far, the different "lands" at DCA are supposed to be themed after different eras in the early part of the 20th century. This area is to get the "50's" era themeing, and Condor Flats will be more of a 60's/70's aviation/space era theme.

The Minnie's Fly Girls show is just a musical stage show. The "fly girls", I think, are going to be dressed like stewardesses. Think: PanAm theme.

Ugh. Okay. Never been a big stage show person.

BrerGnat
02-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Ugh. Okay. Never been a big stage show person.

Me neither, but this HAS to be better than the annoying Disney Channel themed stage shows of the recent past.

Melanie
02-09-2012, 08:42 AM
Me neither, but this HAS to be better than the annoying Disney Channel themed stage shows of the recent past.

True. They are taking over Hollywood Studios at WDW. SO LOUD!!! :blowup:

BrerGnat
02-09-2012, 09:01 AM
True. They are taking over Hollywood Studios at WDW. SO LOUD!!! :blowup:

And SO bad. :-o

Crow
02-22-2012, 12:02 AM
was on way to see World of Color and stopped a minute. they were playing the end of their show,seemed good. idk why they wouldnt fit in...guess Disney is cutting costs

Paradise Pier Pinocchio
02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
The Miners will be missed. Too bad.

:smickey:

Mufasa
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
idk why they wouldnt fit in...guess Disney is cutting costs

It really is not a cost cutting move as there will be more several new entertainment offerings in DCA especially with the opening of Buena Vista Street.

Earlier this month they put out a casting call for one group called Five & Dime on March 7th (Vocalists) and March 10-11: (so maybe some of the former Miner 49ers could be a part of this group, although they wouldn't play the bluegrass that many enjoyed):

Disney Parks Talent Casting is seeking String Bass/Tuba, Guitar/Banjo, Drummer/Percussionist, Woodwind/Tenor Sax, Trumpet Players and Female Vocalists to perform as Five & Dime, a high-energy musical group ("Five") fronted by a female singer ("Dime") with the vocal stylings of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. Together, they will play and swing to popular standards of the ’30s while interacting with park Guests.

Role Dime: Female vocalist of African heritage, knowledge of ’30s swing and scat singing, reminiscent of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday, must sing “G” below middle C to “D” a 9th above middle C

Rehearsals begin early May, show opens early June

As for Grizzly Peak- with it moving towards a feeling of the national parks and Disney True-Life Adventures of the 1950s it makes me think that if they were to add something, could they take the musical core that made up the 49ers and turn them into park rangers.

Then build a show that incorporates some audience participation numbers with a visit from Humphrey the Bear, maybe Ranger Woodlore or Donald Duck and have a nice show.