PDA

View Full Version : Passing thru Orlando soon. Can you just ride the monorail?

KevMcNJ
01-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I havent been here in a long time as I dont like to read the posts here when I know I wont be going to WDW any time soon. I think I asked this question last time I knew I would be on I-4 but I cannot remember the answer.

So, I will probably be driving right past WDW on my way to the Gulf Coast (Wesley Chapel) next month. I will not be in any hurry to get to my friends house as he has a work commitment that he cannot get out of until 2pm. I was thinking how cool would it be if I could park somewhere and get on a bus or boat to the monorail and do a lap?

Is this possible?

I dont want to do it if I have to pay to park in the main lots. What an added bonus it would on my vacation to be able to ride thru the Contemporary, the GF and Polynesian! Obviously I coulnt really do much else there but just doing a monrail lap would be a very nice thrill.

If this isnt possible (it probably isnt Im sure) what can be done on WDW property by someone who is literally just stopping by for 30-45 minutes on their way to another destination?

Buttercup
01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Well, let's think about it: the only places to get on/off the monorail are:
-Transportation & Ticket Centre
- Epcot
- Polynesian
- Grand Floridian
- Contemporary

You would have to pay for parking at the TTC or Epcot...
But, if you went to one of the 3 monorail resorts, you would be allowed to park for free. If you just tell the gate security guard that you're just coming to check out the resort, they'll give you a temporary parking pass -- I believe it's good for 3 hours. Then you could hop aboard the monorails all you like from there. People get the temporary resort parking pass all the time if they're going for dinner there, shopping, or just exploring the resort itself.

Otherwise, if you decide not to do the monorail thing, you can always park (for free) at Downtown Disney and explore the shops there. You could park for free at the Boardwalk Inn and take a stroll on the boardwalk. You could go play minigolf at either minigolf place (parking's free, but you'd have to pay for your game of course!). Any of those things would take up some time on your way to your friend's house.

markyv
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Downtown Disney would be another good option for something free and entertaining.

buzznwoodysmom
01-16-2012, 07:29 PM
Yes, you can ride the monorail. Just park at one of the three monorail resorts and take a lap or two. I would try to have a quick lunch at one of the resorts, browse the shops, maybe grab a drink and enjoy being in WDW, no matter how short the time! Have fun.

gerald72
01-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Park at Downtown Disney for free, take a bus for free to one of the monorail resorts. Take a lap on the monorail, again for free.
You will just need longer than 30-45 minutes.

garymacd
01-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Park at Downtown Disney for free, take a bus for free to one of the monorail resorts. Take a lap on the monorail, again for free.

That would just be the day they decide to check passenger resort ID's before getting on the bus, if it was me.

mom2morgan
01-16-2012, 10:20 PM
That would just be the day they decide to check passenger resort ID's before getting on the bus, if it was me.
Are you not allowed to use the transportation if you aren't staying at a Disney Resort? I wasn't aware of that - not that it would matter, since I always stay on site.

LoriSan
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I was under the understanding that all Disney transportation was available to all guests, not just resort guests. :confused:

Buttercup
01-17-2012, 12:14 AM
It's NOT just for resort guests. People staying off-site are welcome to use the buses, monorail, etc to go anywhere on Disney property. You never have to show any resort ID to use any of the transportation.

KevMcNJ
01-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Its been 3 years since we went but I was pretty sure DD would fit somewhere in my plan :secret:

This could work!!

Made even better by the fact that I could send pics to my sister in NJ from the GF :mickey:

K8screen
01-17-2012, 05:37 AM
I think stopping for a while at a resort in a case like yours is fine, but what happens to people who just leave cars in resort parking lots, saying they are visiting the resort, and then take themselves off to the parks for the day? Do they get a parking ticket, a fine, their vehicles clamped, or what? I hope something happens to them, particularly now the rest of us off site visitors are paying so much to park at parks!

ronandjulie
01-17-2012, 08:01 AM
We used to do this all the time. Wewould go to DTD and take the boat to Riverside. From there we would take the bus to Epcot. Monorial all the way to TTC then to The Contemporary. Then we would take the bus back to DTD. It's fun. Sometimes we would get off at The Poly and get a Dole Whip and take the boat to The
MK then monorial to The Contemporary. We have annual passes and somethimes it's really fun to things outside the parks.

BrerGnat
01-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Just for clarification, WDW transportation is technically available to all "theme park ticket holders."

In ALL the years I've been visiting the resort, I've never once had anyone ask me to show proof that I can use the transportation. Don't worry about that.

What I would do, if you want to get a "fix" for Disney, is I would park at the Contemporary, have lunch at the Contempo Cafe (so you can watch the monorail come through and visit the gift shops there, which are awesome) and then ride the monorail around. If I had more time, I'd park at the Wilderness Lodge, eat there, take the boat to MK, ride the monorail around, and take the boat back to WL.

wdwfansince75
01-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Years ago, while DS#2 was still at U of Richmond, he went with friends to WDW for spring break. I was in Tampa on business, and was traveling to Orlando Apt for a meeting...we scheduled lunch at Kona Cafe. After lunch, we did a spin on the monorail...just because.

MickeysBestPal
01-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Just for clarification, WDW transportation is technically available to all "theme park ticket holders."

There is nothing anywhere that specifies that in an exclusionary way.

Transportation is for all WDW "guests."

"Guests" is the term used by Disney to designate all visitors to Disney.

BrerGnat
01-17-2012, 10:27 AM
There is nothing anywhere that specifies that in an exclusionary way.

Transportation is for all WDW "guests."

"Guests" is the term used by Disney to designate all visitors to Disney.

Nope, technically: (this is straight off Disney World's website)

Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort—including transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parks—is available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

In addition to this, though, if you hold a Park Hopper Pass (including Annual Pass), you are ALSO entitled to "complimentary transportation."

However, as I stated before, this is NEVER enforced. But, in the future, Disney can choose to enforce it if they want, since that is the actual guideline.

MickeysBestPal
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Nope, technically: (this is straight off Disney World's website)

Complimentary transportation throughout Walt Disney World Resort—including transportation to and from Disney Theme Parks and Disney Water Parks—is available to Guests of select Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

Many take that to mean "ONLY and SPECIFICALLY for WDW Resort Guests."

But, in fact, is only stated there as being one of the features available when staying at a WDW Resort.

It does not mean the transportation is "exclusive to" or "designed for" Resort guests...
It's just a statement to indicate that the transportation is available.

This subject gets kicked around the various boards several times a year.

It's a moot point as to if anyone is excluded from riding the various modes of Disney transportation, as everyone CAN.

KevMcNJ
02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Amusing Bump...
So I called an old high shcool buddy who lives on the Gulf Coast to see if maybe we could meet for lunch when Im near Tampa. He asked when I was heading to Fla and I told him and he says to me "thats perfect we are taking the kids to WDW that week"

So Im meeting an old friend for lunch at Poly or Contemporary now :thumbsup::mickey:

KatrinaJ91
02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Oh great! Have an amazing time! Take the monorail to Epcot just so you can get that up close view...it will feel like you are really there in the park! :mickey:

DisneyorBust
02-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree with KatrinaJ91! If I had the time, I would need to ride both the resort Monorail and take a tour on the Epcot line.
It would probably kill me though, being so close and not being able to enjoy some time in Epcot.

Sportster
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
My wife and I stopped in Orlando on the way to visit my parents on the Gulf Coast just before Christmas last year. We didn't have a ton of time, but we did have a few hours.

We drove to Fort Wilderness, parked in the lot and took the bus to the settlement :cap:. Ate dinner at Trails End (which was delicious...one of our favorites). After dinner, we strolled down to the dock and took the boat over to MK. We then hopped on the monorail to the resorts (Cont, Poly and GF) to look at the Gingerbread houses they had on display. They were amazing.

Even though we didn't have alot of time and we were both dog tired from driving straight through from PA, it was one of the best hilights of our trip.

KevMcNJ
02-20-2012, 11:23 PM
One final bump for this thread.
SO.....

I called my buddy when I was en route to Polynesian from the race track I was staying at in Volusia County. He said to call when I was at the resort. I called him from the lobby of the Polynesian and I ask if he wants to eat there or at Contemporary he says to me
"get on the monorail and meet me at the Magic Kingdon entrance, I bought you a ticket to get in"
Wow what a pleasant surprise. I was thrilled just to be hanging out at the Poly with my buddy for an hour but instead I spent 8 hours with them inside MK!!! :mickey::thumbsup:

They have 2 pre-teens so they got pretty tired and were heading for their room at 7:30. I went back to my pick up at the Poly and caught my breath for an hour and had some snacks and a few drinks then headed back to MK for a few hours of flying solo. I stayed til 12:30.

I figured it was time to go when I dozed off while standing in line at Space Mountain:secret:

All in all it was a pretty good day to be there. It rained but it wasnt a soaker. Crowds were larger than Im accustomed to but were tolerable. I was able to hit Haunted Mansion twice and Space Mtn twice. I cant even list everything we rode but I know the longest I stood in line was 45 minutes for Space Mtn right before I left. So I can say we hit a ton of rides

I have been to WDW quite a few times now but this was the first time that I didnt know I was going until 15 minutes before I entered!

DisneyorBust
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
What a fantastic surprise from a great friend!
Glad to read that you got to enjoy 8 hours in the Magic Kingdom and a Monorail ride too!

Sportster
02-22-2012, 07:55 AM
What an awesome surprise! Glad you got to enjoy Mk and the company of your friend and his family.

Melanie
02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
I have been to WDW quite a few times now but this was the first time that I didnt know I was going until 15 minutes before I entered!

Wow, very nice surprise! :thumbsup:

TinkerbellT421
02-22-2012, 08:18 AM
:mickey::thumbsup: What a great surprise!

tigz9299
02-23-2012, 12:19 AM
Absolutely!!!!! I would do it.....i always park at the Contemporary, and self=park..walk inside ,and ride the monorail..it's the 1st thing i do when i get there..